Best/cheapest way to ship iPhone?

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I used USPS to ship a lifeproof case back to lifeproof, it cost me $8+ to ship it. I only got priority with return address.

I wouldn't go with USPS. FedEx or UPS is the way to go. It's how Apple sends their phones.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I used USPS to ship a lifeproof case back to lifeproof, it cost me $8+ to ship it. I only got priority with return address.

I wouldn't go with USPS. FedEx or UPS is the way to go. It's how Apple sends their phones.
That's what I would do. But the OP stated, "As cheaply as possible.". He really should reconsider that.

bitemyapple

Bronze
Jan 21, 2014
I went on UPS and tried to get a price estimate. Is this the way to go, should I be adding anything?

UPS Ground - 9.76
Adultt Signature Required -5.25
Fuel Surcharge - 0.68
Declared Value - ?
$15.69
I left Declared Value blank. Is DV the insurance in case the package is damaged during delivery, I'll be reimbursed? I sold the iPhone for $450, when I put $450 in DV, it adds $4.50 to my total.

I also need to figure out how to seal the 5c case/lid so it doesn't come off. Is there a way to shrink wrap the entire plastic case. I'm going to use boxing paper and also wrap the case in bubble wrap but the top lid still could come off.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Tape it closed, use packaging peanuts or bubble wrap, insure it for the actual value and send the tracking number to the buyer.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I believe the signature required cutoff is $199 on insurance. Insuring it for more than that will require a signature from someone. Have you looked at one of the USPS 'if it fits, it ships' boxes? The normal iPhone box won't fit in the small box ( usually $5.80 to ship 1st class & includes tracking ) but it's another option.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I believe the signature required cutoff is $199 on insurance. Insuring it for more than that will require a signature from someone. Have you looked at one of the USPS 'if it fits, it ships' boxes? The normal iPhone box won't fit in the small box ( usually $5.80 to ship 1st class & includes tracking ) but it's another option.
I've tried that. But it always seems to take a box larger than needed, and I pay more for that than boxing it myself.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Strange. I just shipped it today with fedex and they allowed me to insure it.
FedEx and UPS are different carriers with different rules. I'm guessing UPS won't insure it because the battery isn't removable. UPS won't even let you ship an iPhone from Hong Kong to the US unless you can provide an MSDS for the battery to ship along with the package. They consider a phone with a non-removable battery dangerous goods. I once spent 35 minutes on the phone with Apple trying to locate that MSDS (for someone here) and they couldn't find it or direct me to anyone who could.

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston
Since they charge by weight, I always come out better boxing it myself. Those boxes they provide are always either too small or too big. If I choose one too big, I pay more.
Oh thought they didn't charge by weight cause that's a flare rate box. I have shipped 1 DVD and have shipped like 10 DVDs and price stayed the same. Maybe they changed.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Oh thought they didn't charge by weight cause that's a flare rate box. I have shipped 1 DVD and have shipped like 10 DVDs and price stayed the same. Maybe they changed.
Those boxes they have aren't by weight. It's a set or flat rate per each box. But if I box it myself, it is by weight. I usually come out better boxing it myself. Using their boxes may be more convenient for some, but in many cases, they'll pay more. Why would I use a $10 box to ship something I can box myself and ship for $5?

iByron

Bronze
Jan 17, 2011
Houston
Those boxes they have aren't by weight. It's a set or flat rate per each box. But if I box it myself, it is by weight. I usually come out better boxing it myself. Using their boxes may be more convenient for some, but in many cases, they'll pay more. Why would I use a $10 box to ship something I can box myself and ship for $5?
I understand totally that's why whenever I do sell a device or whatever it's $$$$ + shipping so it costs me nada lol.