Best compression from iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Any video editing people here who can give me some intelligent advice and an explanation as to what compression is best used for reducing file sizes and mainting best quality and why. I wous thinking mpeg-4 would be best but what about h.264?

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I think h.264 is preferred. Not so much for the footprint, but because it can optimize the compressed playback for mobile processors in a manner that doesn't require as much computing overhead. It takes a long time to compress/encode though. Going on what I've been told.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
I think h.264 is preferred. Not so much for the footprint, but because it can optimize the compressed playback for mobile processors in a manner that doesn't require as much computing overhead. It takes a long time to compress/encode though. Going on what I've been told.

That is what I figured, but what would be the best resolution? I am thinking of just converting movies to 640x480...would lower resolution be better because of the small screen?

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Do you plan on only watching them on the iPhone? If you do than there's no reason to make the width bigger than 480 pixels.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Do you plan on only watching them on the iPhone? If you do than there's no reason to make the width bigger than 480 pixels.
Well I plan to keep the originals on my computer at all times, but for the most part I would like to produce copies just for iPhone viewing....

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
FYI if there's something else useful in the specs...
Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
I'm wondering if I need to create a new iPhoto library with 640x480 photos or if iTunes will compress them on the fly. Obviously there's no need to import everything at max resolution. Thoughts? Experiences with the photo capable iPods?

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
FYI if there's something else useful in the specs...

I'm wondering if I need to create a new iPhoto library with 640x480 photos or if iTunes will compress them on the fly. Obviously there's no need to import everything at max resolution. Thoughts? Experiences with the photo capable iPods?

Yes I saw the specs....the photo question I am unsure of, I can only speculate. My guess would be iPhone resizes pics....I couldnt see people having to resize every single hi res pic...but then again, space could be an issue.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
I'm wondering if I need to create a new iPhoto library with 640x480 photos or if iTunes will compress them on the fly.
I know iTunes will not recompress for photos for the previous generation iPods...

Will you be wasting space? Yes and no... The more pixels the photo has, the more you'll be able to manipulate it on screen (zoom in/out, pan around) but you'll also be blowing space with no gain.

askewed

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
NJ
I doubt iPhoto/iTunes will take the those photos and re-compress on the fly but we won't know for sure until the iPhone is released. I know the video iPod does not do this.
Are you sure? iTunes says "Optimizing photos for iPod" when they are going on...

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
hmm... actually it does; here's some info right from the horse's mouth:

What does it mean when "Optimizing for iPod" appears in iTunes and what happens if I cancel?
iTunes creates TV-quality versions of your photos and stores them in a database on your computer. This makes it much faster when you add new photos to your iPod later. If you cancel this optimization, the photos are not added to the iPod.