Best continental U.S. carrier/plans for the unlocked iPhone.

Which carrier do you suggest?

• T-mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please give suggestion below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scholar

Oct 3, 2007
Hey everyone... been out of it for a bit. Sold my 4gb iPhone about a month ago. Yes it was unlocked... as the iPhone isn't a unit sold by or serviced by a telecommunications company on Guam.

I'll be relocating to Nevada in about a month and was looking at picking up another unit. I was reviewing the AT&T pans and find them to be a little costly.

By popular opinion should I just break down and pay these prices or unlock and hook up with a company like t-mobile?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Maybe i'm just lazy, scared, or any number of other adjectives, but i'd rather not mess with the whole unlocking drama. And visual voicemail only works with AT&T, right?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
search up tmobile on here i know that there are people that only pay 5.99$ ! that is a lot less then 20$ and yes you have to jailbreak the phone but if yo know how to do that then there is no issue.....

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
search up tmobile on here i know that there are people that only pay 5.99$ ! that is a lot less then 20$ and yes you have to jailbreak the phone but if yo know how to do that then there is no issue.....
no, you do still have to unlock it, which is the big PIA for various reasons.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes i know that .. i have att un modded i was just saying that if you can mod then it is not a big deal...
ill look for the link..

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
got it !
here is the link and a conversation of him explaining to me what he did.. it is the fist thing in his signature.. i assume that you can pm him and ask him what he did but here it is ....

Last edited by a moderator:

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
...i was just saying that if you can mod then it is not a big deal...
that's not exactly true. It's not the process of unlocking that is the issue; it's getting caught in a warranty situation with an unlocked phone and no AT&T plan; it's wondering if Apple will ever figure out a way to keep people from using unlocked iPhones; and it's generally having to jump through more hoops than a standard jailbroken iPhone to update or restore (which any modder will know you WILL have to do on occasion).

I'm not trying to say unlocking is bad or anything... just not for me. Hats off to all the people that put in the effort.

and also, i'm pretty sure visual voicemail does NOT work on Tmobile. someone correct me if i'm wrong...

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
did you read the link that i posted.. that dude said that he got the visual voicemail to work, im on att so i don't care, unlocking is a risk that you have to take, why should Apple warranty some thing that you fucked up by hacking it?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i only briefly looked at that thread, so never mind about visual voicemail.

yes, unlocking is a risk, and i'm not saying Apple should or should not honor a warranty for unlocked phones. My point is that it's a pain in the ass to be on another network with the iPhone. I guess it's just a question of whether or not the pain is worth the $14.01/month to you.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes that is true that is why i am with att the easier the better for me... that is what i say...