Best Email options for Vista/iPhone users

Aug 13, 2008
Hello, so we have Windows Vista and are using Windows Mail which is the default mail client for the iPhone. I believe that nearly most everyone using Vista, who doesn't do email on the web (yahoo, gmail etc) probably also use Windows Mail.

So there must be huge numbers of Vista/Windows Mail users out there, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible to get Windows Mail to work fully with the iPhone.

If you're a Vista user, how are you getting your mail to work on the iPhone?

I believe Outlook Express is supposed to integrate better which is odd because Microsoft doesn't even ship Outlook Express anymore.

In the mail setup, I was able to configure our comcast email address by choosing "Other" and entering in the mail server, email address and password. I was then able to send a test email and receive it on the iPhone. But then after a sync, all the emails in the inbox disappear. Also, it only seems to receive emails when I have the iPhone on and I'm using mail and send it a test message. So the emails I receive in my regular email box on my desktop PC are not in sync with the emails received on the iPhone.

I'm finding it hard to believe that there isn't better support for the millions of Vista users. Am I missing something? I don't want to buy Office, just so I can get Outlook and use it with the iPhone. Maybe there is another, better email client out there that works great with the iPhone that I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help!

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Why not just use IMAP Gmail, or even POP, if you want, with your Windows Mail, then just set up a Gmail account on your phone.

Gmail sets up very very easi for iPhone.

P.S. Is THIS you Stephen Gower?

I like Googling people if they have a their name for username.

Aug 13, 2008
thanks for the suggestion, I take it that IMAP gmail is something that allows you to use a comcast account with GMAIL? I'll need to check into that.

That is actually NOT me. I'm one of the non-motivational speaker Stephen Gower's of the world.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
thanks for the suggestion, I take it that IMAP gmail is something that allows you to use a comcast account with GMAIL? I'll need to check into that.

That is actually NOT me. I'm one of the non-motivational speaker Stephen Gower's of the world.
What I would recommend doing is to froward ALL of your comcast mail to Gmail (if you don't already have one setup, just set one up i.e. stephen.gower@gmail.com) Then setup your Windows mail with your new Gmail account, then your iPhone with Gmail. All IMAP settings. Works great, and if you are concerned about what email address people are going to see when you send them mail, you can make your comcast email your default, so the email comes from that address, not Gmail. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions about setting this up, there are many topics about gmail/iPhone/windows so you will definantly get your problems solved.

mike1943

Nov 10, 2009
I've been shopping around for a decent email app for a while. I'd like to sync my email too. I ended up getting AltaMail http://mobile.eurosmartz.com/products/altamail.html which for me is the best email app for iPhone. It does all the usual email account types, but also prints and allows you filter emails by contact. I basically moved my mail management to the iPhone

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I pull Comcast and Yahoo email to the phone without a problem. Whatever email I get through Comcast I can delete it on the phone and it stays on the Comcast server and is pulled to my desktop when I open it there. I have my Comcast email set to never delete from server on the phone. I don't sync email in any way on iTunes. Vista user also. Never used the Vista email program.