Best Feature of iPhone 5S?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Now that the event is over and we've had a bit to reflect. What do you feel is the best feature of the iPhone 5S. Is it the combined A7/M7 chipset? The improved camera with 120fps HD camera, f 2.2 aperture, etc.? Or is it the new Touch ID fingerprint scanner?

I'd like to combine the new chipset with camera as my selection. The iPhone 5 takes incredible photos. The new chipset and optics sound like a vast improvement, along the same lines as the iPhone 4S from iPhone 4.

What about you one, all or none?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
TouchID, hands-down.

I've never felt my iPhone 5 was lacking in speed, but typing in unlock and Apple ID passwords is rather tedious, and I look forward to never having to do it again.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I would have to say the Touch ID Fingerprint scanner. However, as an iPhone 5 owner and past iPhones, I am curious how many people will go from the 5 to the 5s solely on the new feature of the Touch ID Fingerprint Scanner. I would love to get it for this feature, but I'd need more incentives. Also, I don't have an upgrade until 2015. Maybe my mother has one earlier than that.

Sent using iCafe app

Target

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 16, 2008
The Great State of WV.
Wonder what Touch ID will do to some case manufacturers? I think it is the best new feature, but in my lifeproof, it's useless. They'll have to redesign some to not cover the sensor.

Target

Sent using iCafe app on iPad 2

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Wonder what Touch ID will do to some case manufacturers? I think it is the best new feature, but in my lifeproof, it's useless. They'll have to redesign some to not cover the sensor.

Target

Sent using iCafe app on iPad 2
I did not even think about that. Although I am not going to upgrade until the iPhone 6, I may first confirm with Otterbox that they will update their case if needed.

Sent using iCafe app

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
It's still all sinking in for me. Upgrading from the 3G to the 4 was one of my most personally profound tech moments, much like upgrading from XP to Snow Leopard was. I expect going from the 4S to the 5S to be close to the 3G/4 transition and I'm looking at it as an upgrade to the overall experience/package as opposed to any one new feature or improvement.

If I had to pick, I guess I'd have to go with the new chipset since this will be where most of the day-to-day general use improvements will be experienced using iOS 7.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Good point. Not to derail this thread, but I wonder if the existing 5 cases will even fit the 5S. I could live without Touch ID if I could use a Lifeproof case in the meantime.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The M7 motion co-processor.

Betting this is a building block towards mobile "Kinect". Probably was the root behind the rumors of touchless control.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

ZAT

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Good point. Not to derail this thread, but I wonder if the existing 5 cases will even fit the 5S. I could live without Touch ID if I could use a Lifeproof case in the meantime.
According to the tech specs posted for the 5S (.30x2.31x4.87) the exterior dime are the same as a 5.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the cases. Nobody mentioned waterproofing the phone, so it appears that you can have a waterproof case or you can have TouchID. Bummer if that's the end result.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
According to the tech specs posted for the 5S (.30x2.31x4.87) the exterior dime are the same as a 5.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to the cases. Nobody mentioned waterproofing the phone, so it appears that you can have a waterproof case or you can have TouchID. Bummer if that's the end result.
Oh I imagine the case companies will come up with something for waterproofing. Site will be a challenge though.

GSXRMike

Silver
Jun 21, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
The only reason I'm going to upgrade is because I can sell my current 5 for the price of buying the new 5S. I'm not really too excited about any of the new things where I just HAVE to have it. I just don't want my iPhone 5 to depreciate even more over the next year. As long as I stay up to date with the "swaps", I'll never have to come out of pocket to buy the new one.

Sent using iCafe app

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
The iPhone 5 is still cool and very zippy. It's going to get to a point that the benchmarks are already set high to the point we won't be able to notice power improvements as much. Curious to see what Apple will come up w/next after that.

Sent using iCafe app

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
I'm really roped into all. :)

As I get older and use my phone for more and more of my life, security is very important, so I really like the idea of the fingerprint sensor, though.

In some lighting conditions, I've not been happy with the camera on my 5 and often still carry my 4S.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Chipset and Camera. I can't wait for what the app devs will have for us. Fingerprint scanner is icing on the cake. I'll probably throw a bumper on it until someone can come up with a waterproof case that will allow me to use the FP scanner.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I was happy until I saw the color choices. No Black and Slate unless I missed something. JEEZ!

The preorder deal is well, I have to read it to make sure I read what I read. I'm commuting right now.

So far I'm going to get an iPhone 5S but I'm taking a long deep breath about the color. I can adjust to change. I love my black though.

The chip set. The camera. The fingerprint sensor all awesome! I'm excited about those things. Oh I also like that they're offering cases for the 5S as well.

Sent using iCafe app