Best Feature of iPhone 5S?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I was happy until I saw the color choices. No Black and Slate unless I missed something. JEEZ!
There is black and slate. But there is no black and black.

There is no preorder either. Online orders begin on the 20th.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I'd have to say the new chipset would be its best feature. One can never have enough speed. More speed means more willingness to keep Notifications for different stuff on.

I'm very, very happy about a 64-bit chip, but I also think that apps that were written for a 32-bit chip will not see an improvement unless they are re-coded or at the very least re-compiled... One sad example where this doesn't happen on a timely basis is Chrome for Mac: that old clunker is still a 32-bit application, believe it or not.

However, I'm sure there is a bump in processor speed and hopefully one in RAM (to my dismay, Apple continues to feel these aren't relevant enough to divulge, so we'll have to wait for iFixIt or one of those teams to enlighten us). This will give existing 32-bit apps some (albeit possibly subliminal) improvement in performance.

I am sure Apple has converted their standard iOS apps like Maps and Siri to 64-bit so that they can take full advantage of the A7. Right, Apple?

UPDATE: Just found out on Wikipedia that the apps are indeed optimized for 64-bit: "The iPhone 5S will be powered by the new Apple A7 system-on-chip, which the company claimed was the first 64-bit processor ever used on a smartphone; the shipping iOS 7 operating system and its pre-loaded apps are optimized for 64-bit mode, promising increased performance."

Last edited:

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
I don't see a big, big difference between the current black/slate and the new space gray/black. It accentuates the backplate a bit more.

View attachment 30800
@chris Yes, I see what you mean. When i first saw it during the rumor frenzy I was hoping they would still offer the gray black combo since I loved it and am used to it. However, you are correct. There is not a big, big difference between the two colors. I can live with it. I've stopped wining. I'm over it and ready to make my purchase along with some of those beautiful leather cases! OOWEE! There it is, I'm back to being excited again!

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
There is black and slate. But there is no black and black.

There is no preorder either. Online orders begin on the 20th.
Yes at first I wasn't happy with this, but I'm over it! Now I just have to figure out if I should order the iPhone 5S on the 20th since there is no preorder or go to the Apple store on the 21st or 22nd. Apple is really manipulating people into buying in the store if you want this phone on launch day.

I'll have to see how long it will take them to ship the iPhone 5S out to me and when will I receive it if I order it on line because I don't want the store hassle.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Apple is really manipulating people into buying in the store if you want this phone on launch day.
I'm guessing they didn't have enough 5Ss produced in time to fulfill online orders and in-store purchases. So they're reserving them all for in store. I'm not happy about it, but it's probably the right call on their part. Would be a PR ____storm if there were even less phones available in store on launch day.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
@chris I'm over it and ready to make my purchase along with some of those beautiful leather cases! OOWEE! There it is, I'm back to being excited again!
Leather is gone from the UI and now available as a case. With an Apple logo on it, to boot! Is this the first time Apple is making their own cases (aside from the iPhone 4 "Bumpers")?

It's a shame they're using real leather, though...

rjkgr

Bronze
Aug 14, 2013
I would like to say fingerprint and im so excited for finger print

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I am still trying to decide. I love color and I love pink so I was leaning toward that pink 5c when I was watching, BUT, I am big on taking pictures so the newer camera features are swaying me over there. Also, I hate having my phone locked, I think the fingerprint feature might be worthy of the 5s choice too. I have 3 days to decide. O_o

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I am still trying to decide. I love color and I love pink so I was leaning toward that pink 5c when I was watching, BUT, I am big on taking pictures so the newer camera features are swaying me over there. Also, I hate having my phone locked, I think the fingerprint feature might be worthy of the 5s choice too. I have 3 days to decide. O_o
Hi @connie, can't you infuse some pink by picking up a new case? It seems like the iPhone 5s is a lot more phone for the $100.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Hi @connie, can't you infuse some pink by picking up a new case? It seems like the iPhone 5s is a lot more phone for the $100.
Yes, that's exactly what I told myself when they started showing the 5s, I never feel comfortable without a case anyways. Also I'm wondering how durable those plastic backs are on the c's especially on scratches. yes I think I'm going with a gold. I just H-A-T-E doing the line thing.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
The 5c's I'm seeing more as a kid/teenager phone the more I look at it.

SJU87

Bronze
Feb 14, 2010
Best new feature is probably the chipset. Just in the last week my 4S has started bogging down and applications have gotten suddenly slower to launch and frequently crash...strange...

Really shocked that NFC wasn't included. I had all sorts of plans on how I would put it to use.

I have a 5 for work and would not pay the price to switch from 5 to 5S. But my personal 4S is due, I can get the money for the upgrade by selling on Gazelle, and why should I continue to pay the same subsidized service fees on AT&T after the contract ends? But I probably will switch away from AT&T.

It will be interesting to see if the camera hardware improves the average person's (me) photographic ability any.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Best new feature is probably the chipset. Just in the last week my 4S has started bogging down and applications have gotten suddenly slower to launch and frequently crash...strange...
Have you tried a hard reboot on your 4S? If you have already, what would you think about restoring your 4S through iTunes?

Sassytallsista

Contributor
Bronze
May 22, 2010
Texas
chipset...... I am upgrading from my 4s....and faster processing is what I was looking for... also.., I don't use a case 99% of the time..,. so the new colors (esp gold) are a plus as well

Sent using iCafe app

SJU87

Bronze
Feb 14, 2010
Have you tried a hard reboot on your 4S? If you have already, what would you think about restoring your 4S through iTunes?
Good thoughts. Have done hard reboot and as far as what I think about restoring...I try not to think about it! It may come to it.

Back on topic, even without these issues, I'd still say chipset. I think it will allow developers the leeway to do some amazing things.

On the other hand, another wish list item that was left off is an AM/FM radio. I love to go to baseball games and listen to play-by-play. My experience at listening to internet radio stations via iPhone (iHeart Radio, etc.) is that frequently they cannot broadcast the games that are played on their terrestrial equivalents due to arcane rules and, when they do broadcast the game, the delay is well over a minute making it more of a distraction. My understanding is that the Broadcomm chipset that has been used previously has the capability but Apple has refused to unlock the full capacity of the chip. I'm haven't seen enough about the full capabilities of the new chip to know if the capability even exists in the 5S.

I've read some more and viewed some coverage and am thinking that one of the best new features from Apple's perspective is the 5C itself. There are probably many people that balked at the price (even though they think nothing of the monthly contract service costs) and will use this lower priced phone to justify a purchase.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
I've been using these heavy duty cases as of late, since my daughter loves to take my iPhone. I'm afraid for my use, Touch ID will go unused.
It says you can add fingerprints. I don't know if that means from another person but I assume so since I don't see how they would be able differentiate between different people.

FuelieNova

Contributor
Silver
Aug 3, 2008
To me its the camera... I really don't run stuff that needs more processor speed than my 5, but camera improvements are always welcome.
I also will be curious if the scanner becomes a problem after time. Still going to keep my 5, it does a great job for me.
Tom

josh.ua

Bronze
Sep 12, 2012
Atlanta, GA
about.me
Touch ID and the camera improvements. I am looking forward to not having to use a passcode or Apple ID password, and the slowmo/burst modes (and True Tone Flash) in the camera look awesome!

Also, as an Apple employee the Touch ID sensor is by far my favorite feature because it means less password resets for me. I know there will still be a lot but even just a little break is appreciated.

Dec 10, 2009
Clarksburg, WV
As I am taking pix of the little snowtroopers constantly, the camera upgrades are the obvious choice.

As a home theater aficionado, the conventional wisdom follows to have separate components for every function, allowing for optimized performance. I beleuve it's a giant step in the right direction with the A7/M7 chipset design.

I never used to use a passcode to lock my device, too cumbersome. Having my work email (Outlook) associated, I have been forced to. Thankfully, being jailbroken I can eliminate the requirement each time I wake the 5, but still have to when it sleeps. Dig the inclusion of the Touch ID.

All this is academic, however, since I've only had my 5 for six months and will not be upgrading.

At least as of the writing of this post...:D