Best form of insurance for iPhone 4S on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by RxMan, Oct 18, 2011.

1. RxMan

RxMan New Member

I have two iPhone 4s' on AT&T that I need to protect from damage. What is everyone's opinion on the best method? AppleCare+? ATT? SquareTrade?

Thanks!

2. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I like AppleCare+ for the price and the convenience. It is the same price as the SquareTrade, but more convenient (you don't have to ship the phone, or pay more out of pocket and wait for reimbursement). The only coverage difference is that Apple will only cover you twice for accidents. SquareTrade will cover you infinite times (assuming they don't call it gross misuse). Neither one will cover loss or theft, but depending on how close you keep your phone, you may not need that.

AT&T's insurance is a joke. $10 a month, $199 deductible. Sure, AT&T covers loss/theft, but, the total price you'll end up paying isn't a whole heck of a lot lower than an off-contract phone. ($240 + $199) If you drop it or take a swim, you're better off not doing the AT&T thing and just paying the $199 out of warranty replacement at Apple.

If you plan on protecting from losing your phones or getting them stolen, take a look at Worth Ave. insurance instead. It's $99 a year (up to 3 years), $50 deductible, and unlimited repairs like SquareTrade. http://www.worthavegroup.com/iphone-insurance

3. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

I have AT&T and now I feel stupid. I guess I will cancel and go with something else.

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

You're not stupid, just newly informed :) AT&T should feel stupid for taking advantage of customers like that.

5. jb72

jb72 New Member

I have a policy through State Farm. $48/year. Covers 1 loss

6. ESP8820

ESP8820 New Member

The AT&T insurance is $6.99/month. The deductible for the iPhone 4S is $199.00. According to AT&T, the cost to replace my phone (64GB) would be $849.00 if I had to replace it before my next upgrade allowance. (been there!)

The WorthAveGroup policy for $89.00/year with the $50.00 deductible only offers up to $600.00 coverage for the iPhone 4S. According to AT&T, this would not be enough to get me a replacement phone. As I understand, after paying the $50.00 deductible, I would still have to pay an additional $249.00 to replace my phone.

7. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

So you are saying the AT&T insurance is worth it. I know with Apple Care you get 2 years of protection with 2 incidents, but it doesn't cover lost or stolen which has never once happened to me. SO I may go with the AC.

8. ESP8820

ESP8820 New Member

9. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Can AC be purchased after the phone has already been purchased like 10 days later? I know it says no, but I was still wondering.

10. dorrien12

dorrien12 Member
    Bronze

Depends, if you pre-ordered then yes, because on one of the carriers there wasn't even an option. So call Apple immediately if you pre-ordered. If you bought it straight from a store, they said no, but still ask.

And another benefit to the AC+ is you can walk your phone into a Apple Store, I hate the shipping and waiting thing. There two incidents carry a $49 deductible and you get it for three years plus phone support. That makes it worth it to me over AT&T.

11. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Well that sucks!

12. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Since I didn't buy my phone from Apple does that mean I have to take it to AT&T every time there is an issue or only when I will have a claim?

13. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Yes but remember squaretrade is $99 for TWO years so that's half price and it pays you full price.

To the OP I think after getting names of companies here you should go read the terms of each before you decide.

14. dorrien12

dorrien12 Member
    Bronze

If you bought AppleCare+ then it doesn't matter who you bought it from, you go to Apple.

Even without AppleCare +, you get 90 days of phone support and a 1 yr warranty, and I may have been wrong on the three years, it might be two.

15. bls8195

bls8195 Member
    Bronze

So once you buy your phone and if you don't buy Applecare at the time you buy your phone you can no longer purchase it anymore?

16. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

Don't you have until your original warranty is up to buy AppleCare?

17. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

According to the email offer I got from them, they reimburse you all but $50 per incident for an unlimited number of replacement incidents over the 2 year term not just 2 times like AC+. I considered it but opted to have the tech support also provided with AC+. Besides, any insurance is just a crap shoot. The company is betting that you won't need to file a claim and thus hoping to make a profit from your apprehension.

YMMV

18. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I went with SquareTrade. I get better tech support on the forums than over the phone with Apple and you can always go to the store and have a genius help you and they never check to see if you have AppleCare or not and they always take care of you..

19. dorrien12

dorrien12 Member
    Bronze

They do check sometimes, just depends who you get and what you need. For that reason alone, I'd rather do the AC+

20. dallasjetfan

dallasjetfan Contributor
    Bronze

Since I can't get AC now, I think I will just stay with AT&T at full coverage for everything for $10/month even though the the deductible is $200. I might even cancel it since I have never lost or had a phone stolen. I've never carried insurance on phones.