Best format for phone number entries in Address Book

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Greetings,

I realize that the iPhone will automatically format incoming phone calls' numbers as (xxx) yyy-zzzz. If you add this number to a new or existing contact directly from the call log screen, it will remain in this format. However, I'd like to know if there is any advantage to changing this format to +1-xxx-yyy-zzzz. It requires a little bit of effort to change every new phone number manually, but it only has to be done once, and it's something I willing to do if the longer format provides any advantage.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Greetings,

I realize that the iPhone will automatically format incoming phone calls' numbers as (xxx) yyy-zzzz. If you add this number to a new or existing contact directly from the call log screen, it will remain in this format. However, I'd like to know if there is any advantage to changing this format to +1-xxx-yyy-zzzz. It requires a little bit of effort to change every new phone number manually, but it only has to be done once, and it's something I willing to do if the longer format provides any advantage.
Why would you want to do that? A cell phone call never requires a 1.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Why would you want to do that? A cell phone call never requires a 1.
Cool, even for a 1-800 # ?

Also, why is it that during group MMS messages, the iPhone inserts the "1"? Basically, I want to have all my numbers stored in the format that would be default to the iPhone. If I were going to add one of those numbers to a contact, the iPhone would use the "1" (as you saw that it inserted it in the screenshot below). I want all my numbers in a uniform format...

Screenshot posted in next post. Couldn't add screenshot while editing a post, only with a new post.
Sent from my alphanumeric pager.