Best GPS (Turn-By-Turn) Application

Which GPS (turn-by-turn) app do you think is the best?

• Navigon

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • TomTom

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Magellan RoadMate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G-Map

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • MotionX Drive

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
Vote for the app that you think offers the best turn-by-turn directions.

I personally like Navigon the best. Beautiful and easy to use interface with a great set of features. There's only one thing I don't like about it though. When playing music from the iPod, when the voice is speaking out the street, it will become broken up and will often not even play completely (due to the lack of memory on my iPhone 3G I suppose).

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Navigon is the only one I have tried, but I really like it. I have the 3Gs so maybe you are right about your problem. My only complaint is that you are not told which side of the road your destination is on until it is really too late. Doesn't tell you until you are right there so in some cases you could pass it up or be in the wrong lane. I emailed them and was told that they are aware of this and will be fixed in an update.
Otherwise I am very pleased with the App.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i bought Navigon a couple weeks ago and really like it. My only real complaint is that street names are small and kinda hard to read when it is mounted on my dash. They could make the fonts a little bolder and perhaps change the street names to a color other than black to help them stand out more. My dad has TomTom on his 3gs and I have played with it too and I like Navigon much better. I splurged for the live traffic too and it works as advertised.

Apple4me

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I've had Navigon since it was first released. It was a dog on my 3G, but runs very fast on my 3Gs. I haven't tried any of the other GPS turn-by-turn apps, but Navigon seems to do everything I need it to.

I have a dedicated GPS unit in my primary vehicle and only use Navigon when I'm in a different vehicle. I would not want to have to use any iPhone GPS app as my primary GPS as it kinda ties up my iPhone from other uses and runs the battery down fast :(

Anderson3G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Navigon + Real-time Traffic + Google Search (+ MyRoutes + 3D) on a 3GS ... unbeatable! :cool:

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
I'm quite pleased with Navigon. Solution to my broken-up voice problems: Respring, play my music via iPod, free up some memory with SBSettings, run Navigon. Voice is perfect when doing that :).

I'm looking forward to the 1.5 update. I wish they would just include traffic in it at no extra charge (which would suck for the people who have actually purchased the traffic thing). I mean, come on, the stock Maps app has live traffic, and it's free.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is there a way to get Navigon to show an ETA time? Motion X Drive does it. Navigon counts down the miles an estimates the trip time, but doesn't count down the time.

Can someone explain how to use Google search + myroutes 3D with Navigon (post # 5 above). I have the current version, 1.4.0, but don't see myroutes options. Is it and panorama view 3D included? The only in app purchase I see is live traffic.

Anderson3G

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Not sure if Navigon can count down the remaining trip time. I only use the ETA estimate.

Google Search can be used two ways. 1. enter search criteria; either specific businesss name (Starbucks), or category (coffee) and select 'search' to find nearest businesss, or 2. enter search criteria and a town, state, to find a businesss in that particular town ... one other qualifier that can be used is "best" ... so it will use Google rating to provide a ranked list ... example "best steak restaurant" ... this will provide the ranked steak restaurants either nearby or in a selected town. That's how I use Google search.

BTW, there is another way to search google listings that I am using more and more ... download free app called "AroundMe" which allows you to search and display google results on a map, then select the location you want to route to and automatically launch Navigon for turn-by-turn. It's like using Google Map w/ Navigon.

MyRoutes and 3D panorama will not be available until version 1.5 ... sometime in late March or early April.

SJU87

Bronze
Feb 14, 2010
I've used MotionX Drive without the voice support and had a good experience. I have no experience with the other options but was happy to find an inexpensive solution that worked. The native map app is often all I need though as I don't drive a lot in big cities.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
If you want a free application the latest Map quest update now automatically updates your route, directions list, and map as you drive. Unlike the Motion X free version that you have to manually have to change the listed direction or use the simulation feature. I know the map quest UI in kind of clunky, but it’s free.
Now if they would include the ability to “send to on star” or Apple would allow flash so I can use the full webpage, it would be a great app for me.