Best "Grocery List" app?

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I like Groceries. Really nice looking UI, and easy to use. It doesn't use brand names - which some might miss, but I never remember anyway - but just generic terms like 'orange juice', which I find much easier to work with.

Works well in practice too - my daughter works the list for us while we whiz around a large supermarket, and it cuts down our shopping time nicely.
As I mentioned above the search thing in iTunes is problematic.

Which one are you using? "Groceries - The Grocery Shopping List" or one called "Grocery Grocery List"...sheese touchy iTunes.

So many options...so little time! :D

Thanks.

EDIT: I missed that the word "groceries" was a link. Got it now. Thank you!

Feb 4, 2010
So glad I found this thread - thank you to everyone for the suggestions!

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I use Zenbe for a ton of stuff, personal and businesss. I love it, but..............
For shopping I just have a page on my notes called Shopping List. I just delete the old content and fill in the new. It's always there and when you add stuff before shopping, it goes to the top. It is really a simple way to have a shopping list without getting another app just for that.

Feb 4, 2010
That's a good point, iksn. I used to do that for books I wanted. Makes sense to do that for grocery and other types of lists.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
I use grocery gadget also, it lets you add the items price, local taxes, and to take a photo of the item. I got it when it was free, not sure what they want for it now.

kalperin

Feb 4, 2010
I'm gonna have to part with $5 I guess. :dft008:surprised
I may be a bit biased since i do this for a living, but in general i find that paid apps are better than free ones. There are of course exceptions, but we all know that great apps are the ones that seem to "just work" right out of the box. Making that happen takes time, and developers can only spend that time if they get paid for it. So...go out and buy some apps! ; -)

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I may be a bit biased since i do this for a living, but in general i find that paid apps are better than free ones. There are of course exceptions, but we all know that great apps are the ones that seem to "just work" right out of the box. Making that happen takes time, and developers can only spend that time if they get paid for it. So...go out and buy some apps! ; -)
That's a fair statement Kalerin. Generally in life we get what we pay for. I was kinda pulling your leg. :)

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I agree also. I would much rather pay for an app and get good quality, especially when I will be using the app a lot. I have seen some great quality apps for free though.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Ive been using shopshop since I got my iPhone too... It works so well for me that I've never bothered trying anything else.

iksn

Silver
Aug 7, 2008
Near Las Vegas
I'm really not against paying for apps, in fact I have an iPhone full of them. I was just saying in this particular case, "notes" jus happens to work very well.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I'm really not against paying for apps, in fact I have an iPhone full of them. I was just saying in this particular case, "notes" jus happens to work very well.
If your ok with constantly typing in everything...then I guess it is!

There is a big difference between notes, and a specific grocery list app.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I use Paperless all the time for shopping, check-list, to-do....you name it, and I really like all these (300+) cute icons included!

Link: Paperless

macscac

Bronze
Jun 17, 2009
we use "shopper" because it syncs our lists. so my wife can make a list from anywhere on her iPhone and my phone will sync to it.
its also great because as i shop (and i hate grocery shopping) i can touch the item and it gets taken off the list.
makes it much faster.

word to the wise.. don't work next door to a grocery store. your spouse will send you there all the time

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
we use "shopper" because it syncs our lists. so my wife can make a list from anywhere on her iPhone and my phone will sync to it.
its also great because as i shop (and i hate grocery shopping) i can touch the item and it gets taken off the list.
makes it much faster.

word to the wise.. don't work next door to a grocery store. your spouse will send you there all the time
Evernote for cross platforms/format.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

tomw

Jan 13, 2011
If you don't want to type at all you should try a visual grocery list.

tomw

Jan 13, 2011
Besides NeedFood, which other visual grocery list apps are you aware of?
As far as I know that's the only one of it's type. But you can try searching the app store for other visual grocery lists.

Pixelologist

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Chicago area, USA
I use Shopper, as well, but what I'd really like is an app that has THREE "buckets" for my list items instead of two:

1) an overall list of all the items I might typically buy in a given store,
2) my actual shopping list for any given trip...containing only the subset of items from list #1 that I need at the moment, and
3) the shopping cart, where items from list #2 go as I check them off.

So far, though, every shopping list app I've tried has only two lists, including the shopping cart.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

tomw

Jan 13, 2011
I use Shopper, as well, but what I'd really like is an app that has THREE "buckets" for my list items instead of two:

1) an overall list of all the items I might typically buy in a given store,
2) my actual shopping list for any given trip...containing only the subset of items from list #1 that I need at the moment, and
3) the shopping cart, where items from list #2 go as I check them off.

So far, though, every shopping list app I've tried has only two lists, including the shopping cart.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

That sounds similar to the NeedFood app, but it has:
1) A categorized list of items found in a store
2) Your favorites list that you create using the first list
3) Your checklist that you can create using the first or second list