Best Hidden features in iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by EverythingApple, Sep 23, 2013.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Tapping the current temperature in the Weather app shows you some additional details about current weather situations:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1385319335.022014.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Self-crashing stock apps. Well, maybe not so hidden.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I used the iPhone dictionary a lot while writing. After updating to iOS 7, it was gone. Here's how to download it.
    1. Follow steps with black option bar.
    2. Tap "Manage".
    3. Choose a dictionary and tap the cloud.
    I found "Apple Dictionary" to be empty.
    Once downloaded, you can tap "define" for definitions and spelling. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1385325084.082618.jpg

Sent on iPhone 5 using iCafe app

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I didn't have to download the dictionary in iOS 7 on my iPhone 5s or my rMini iPad. It was pre-installed stock. If I write "Griggh" it says "No definition found," but that's only because it's not a word in the dictionary database.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I used that non word as an example. After I updated, none of the words I tried to define would produce a definition. It went to the page that said "No Definition Found". I had to download a dictionary. I have no idea why.

7. Ms Cola

Ms Cola Member
    Bronze

I had to download the dictionary also on my 5s

Sent using iCafe app

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You can have a contact picture by each and every one of your contacts (if and only if you are willing to give up the "Favorites" feature):

hidden.jpg

Then, simply tap on "Phone > Favorites" and you will see a contact photo alongside every contact, like this:

photo.PNG

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Not sure I understood your first paragraph. All my contacts have photos and I also have my favorites show the contacts photo. What's to give up?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

I'm confused too. :confused:

11. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Same here. I had to download the Oxford English Dictionary, I tested it out w/a standard word to see if I already had it installed and define wasn't in my options. It is after the download I just did by following those helpful tips.

If anybody was wondering, my test word was "impressed"

Sent using iCafe app

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Let me clarify... Contact photos are not visible from the normal list view:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1385954606.533617.jpg

Of course, you can tap on a contact to see the contact photo, but that involves two extra taps: one to go into the contact's card, and one to go back out to the list view.

My point was that you can get a list view with contact photos for each and every single contact by making each and every single contact a Favorite. But in so doing, you effectively give up the functionality associated with a contact being a Favorite. For example, if you have "Settings > Do Not Disturb > Allow Calls From" set to "Favorites," then you'll be allowing calls from every single contact.

Put another way, if everyone is set as a Favorite, then everyone is equal, and the distinction of being a Favorite loses its meaning.

The vast majority of normal folks, myself included, will be happy with seeing contact pictures in the list view of only your actual three or four favorites, as opposed to making everyone a favorite. But it would be helpful in special circumstances, like if you have various sets of friends who share the same exact name. If I only knew fifty people, and they were all named "John Dwight Krasinski", then it would probably be a huge timesaver to make them all Favorites so I can easily see the face in list view and call up the correct John Dwight Krasinski. Obviously, this would be pointless in the rare case that they're all clones, because then they would all look exactly alike.

Sent using iCafe app

#12 Rafagon, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I have 21 numbers in my favorites. A few have both a cell and home phone, so they're in twice. I have so many because of "do not disturb". My daughter's home was struck by lightning and burned to the ground during the night. So I want all family to reach me at all times. But I see what you're saying. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1385961717.808714.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

#13 Ledsteplin, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I just realized that in group MMS conversations, you get contact photos by the senders' text bubbles (in my example, it's just the neutral silhouette, as that particular person isn't in my contacts.) Is this new to iOS 7?

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1386853192.027630.jpg

I actually wish this were the norm for all text conversations, group or otherwise, à la Messages.app on OS X. Or at least have a toggle switch to enable or disable this, per the user's preference:

Messages.jpg

#14 Rafagon, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  15. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I used a app to create a "Do not disturb" group and allow calls from that group that way I don't have to have a large favorites list. This group consist of family, doctors and kids schools and a few choice people.

Sent from my iPhone using

#15 Docd, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  16. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

The "Do Not Disturb" in settings also stops various alerts, such as from Twitter and Facebook. I used to get woke up every time someone followed me on Twitter. I get alerts from iCafe and several other sites and interests. But I don't want them at 3:00 am.

Sent using iCafe app

#16 Ledsteplin, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

The same way you can force-quit more than one app in one shot from the task switching screen, as has already been discussed on a previous post, you can also delete multiple e-mails simultaneously by swiping them to the left using multiple fingers.

I have found that it is easy to get two of them in one shot, but getting three or more in one shot is so difficult as to be impractical. YMMV

18. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I really liked the jailbreak tweak that let you select the first email, then long-touch on the last email and that would select those two emails and every email in between. Apple should buy it from the developer and incorporate that.

19. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

This is how I made my do not disturb list. I work overnights and sleep during the day so I don't get woken up unless it's super important I.......

Use I could so I can easily use the groups feature with gmail I could never get it work as well as with google contacts. So I use iCloud for everything except email.

I make a special group as my do not disturb ALLOW list and assign that to get calls when I use DND mode and keep my favorites separate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

While this certainly doesn't qualify as a "Best" hidden feature in iOS 7, going into Settings > Accessibility > Reduce Motion > and setting it to "On" stops entirely (not just reduces, as the setting promises) the motion of the raindrops and clouds in the stock Weather app...

<sar>
    ... Great feature for those users that suffer from vertigo from watching those raindrops and clouds in the Weather app move ever so slowly ...
    </sar>