Best iPhone Case (My Experience)

Yogos

Jun 30, 2007
For those looking for an ideal and classy iPhone case, I think I found the solution:

Ever since I've gotten the iPhone I was looking for real cases (note: not slip cases) that would accentuate or at least not interfere with the iPhone's design while providing it with adequate protection. So far none of the cases sold in the Apple Store or elsewhere did the trick. They were either too bulky, too unpractical or too elaborate, and for the most part too ugly. I also didn't want to dish out 200 dollars for some designer case just to pay for the brand. Finally, I stumbled upon a small Spanish manufacturer called Piel Frama (http://www.pielframa.com/). The iPhone snap case on their website looked like what I was looking for because:

1) It was made out of high quality, relatively thin, aesthetically pleasant leather
2) It looked professional yet classy and was individually hand-made!
3) It had an amazing snap cover that would protect the iPhones screen
4) No magnets
5) No unnecessary gizmos

I ordered mine online for 60 euros. I guess that's the only downside of the case because it came out to be roughly $82. But, given that an average crappy looking case costs about 30-40 bucks without tax, it wasn't such a big deal. Plus, a very speedy delivery was included in the purchase-price. Furthermore, the case is hand-made so you will own something that is unique. Plus, the color options are very good. I ordered mine in tan, and while it might be too brown for some people, it blends together extremely well with the iPhone colors. Black also appears to be an excellent option, probably one that the majority of buyers will prefer. Shipping took about 2 weeks and when the case arrived it exceeded my expectations.

The leather had that expenisve leather smell, it was extremely snug and each cut-out was perfectly designed. No sensors or buttons were covered up. Plus it looked even better than it did in the pictures. When you look closely at the leather you notice that it is handcrafted because of the unique pattern, and not mass-manufactured. I browse these forums often, and would recommend this case to anyone who is serious about the iPhones protection as well as to someone who cares about aesthetics and good design. Plus not to mention, the case has received plenty of compliments from people who got a chance to play with my iPhone.

wyzard

Jul 17, 2007
Nice looking case! May have to look into this one myself. Have been eyeing the Revo, but I'm just not sure. It's harder to decide on a case than it was to get the iPhone!

Yogos

Jun 30, 2007
Nice looking case! May have to look into this one myself. Have been eyeing the Revo, but I'm just not sure. It's harder to decide on a case than it was to get the iPhone!
Yeah I was eyeing the Revo too, but for me it ended up being to "techy"/nerdy. I mean it does look really functional, but the design is questionable. Again, this is just a matter of subjectivity. I do not doubt that it's a great case, just not my cup of tea.

mparkes

Jul 17, 2007
I like this case. Not sure about the flip cover thing, but the quality of materials and workmanship looks great. I had a flip overcover on my Palm t3 and you kinda got used to always flipping it back.

Yeah I was eyeing the Revo too, but for me it ended up being to "techy"/nerdy. I mean it does look really functional, but the design is questionable. Again, this is just a matter of subjectivity. I do not doubt that it's a great case, just not my cup of tea.

rittchard

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Yogos, about how thick is the whole package when closed? I'm wondering how it would feel if left in a pocket for long periods of time (as opposed to using the belt clip). My present combination (rubber skin inside an old leather slipcase) ends up being 7/8" thick and fits perfectly in my pocket. This case looks exactly like what I would have wanted, but maybe just a tad too thick. I've already bought so many different cases at this point I'm kind of afraid to try another, but this looks very tempting.

Yogos

Jun 30, 2007
Yogos, about how thick is the whole package when closed? I'm wondering how it would feel if left in a pocket for long periods of time (as opposed to using the belt clip). My present combination (rubber skin inside an old leather slipcase) ends up being 7/8" thick and fits perfectly in my pocket. This case looks exactly like what I would have wanted, but maybe just a tad too thick. I've already bought so many different cases at this point I'm kind of afraid to try another, but this looks very tempting.
Rittchard:

I often use the case in my pocket and it feels great. There is no problem having it in khakis, however if you are wearing tight jeans or pants with very tight pockets, there is some minimal effort to get the case inside. As for the bulk, yes there is some extra bulk, but not much. I'd say say the flap is about as thick as the chrome cover of the iPhone in length. The bottom part is smaller than that. So imagine adding an extra chrome cover-worth of thickness and that should be somewhat of an accurate estimate. Yes, for some the added thickness could be a turn off, but for me it was actually a good thing because the flap is very lightly stuffed so it's not just a flat piece of leather on top of your screen. The soft padding inside does a great job of prottecting the screen or from having other things putting too much pressure on the surface. Another great thing is that the snap closure that is attached to the flap actually pretty much entirely covers the port on the bottom of the iPhone, which in my experience prevents extra dust from accumulating. The belt clip is also great because it's entirely removable, meaning you can actually remove the little belt knob as well as the clip itself. Most cases don't give you that option.

So, in sum, yes you get some extra bulk, but also lots of extra protection. However, while for some cases the bulk would probably detract from the design, this actually somewhat accentuates it because the case is of such a high quality material and design. It really feels like an expensive product. Also, if you like, there are reviews online for other piel frama cases. I haven't seen an iPhone review, but they make cases for other PDA's and phones as well. Just google the reviews - I think they are excellent throughout.

Yogos

Jun 30, 2007
Are you using this as a wallet also? How many credit cards can you fit? is there a place to slip some cash. I am thinking about getting rid of my wallet and just using one place to store everything, phone, cards, cash...
I was actually thinking about doing the same thing. You can easily put two credit cards in there, possibly even more when you stack them up on top of each other. There is also a slot where you could put cash, however its too narrow, unless you want to fold your bills a few times. I wouldn't recommend it as a cash wallet, however for credit cards/driver's license it's great. You can also store businesss cards and such. I think that would be the primary use. If you are interested in a real wallet, then actually Piel Frama has the iPhone wallet case which is an iPhone case and a real wallet in one. Pretty nifty, haha.

Yogos

Jun 30, 2007
Yeah but flip covers the camera. Damn idiots :(
Nope, there is a cutout on the camera in the case. As for the flip. Just hold it when you are taking the picture, doesn't interfere with anything. As I said, the case is well thought out.

ijosheek

Aug 1, 2007
For those looking for an ideal and classy iPhone case, I think I found the solution:

Ever since I've gotten the iPhone I was looking for real cases (note: not slip cases) that would accentuate or at least not interfere with the iPhone's design while providing it with adequate protection. So far none of the cases sold in the Apple Store or elsewhere did the trick. They were either too bulky, too unpractical or too elaborate, and for the most part too ugly. I also didn't want to dish out 200 dollars for some designer case just to pay for the brand. Finally, I stumbled upon a small Spanish manufacturer called Piel Frama (http://www.pielframa.com/). The iPhone snap case on their website looked like what I was looking for because:

1) It was made out of high quality, relatively thin, aesthetically pleasant leather
4) No magnets
5) No unnecessary gizmos

I ordered mine online for 60 euros. I guess that's the only downside of the case because it came out to be roughly $82. But, given that an average crappy looking case costs about 30-40 bucks without tax, it wasn't such a big deal. Plus, a very speedy delivery was included in the purchase-price. Furthermore, the case is hand-made so you will own something that is unique. Plus, the color options are very good. I ordered mine in tan, and while it might be too brown for some people, it blends together extremely well with the iPhone colors. Black also appears to be an excellent option, probably one that the majority of buyers will prefer. Shipping took about 2 weeks and when the case arrived it exceeded my expectations.

The leather had that expenisve leather smell, it was extremely snug and each cut-out was perfectly designed. No sensors or buttons were covered up. Plus it looked even better than it did in the pictures. When you look closely at the leather you notice that it is handcrafted because of the unique pattern, and not mass-manufactured. I browse these forums often, and would recommend this case to anyone who is serious about the iPhones protection as well as to someone who cares about aesthetics and good design. Plus not to mention, the case has received plenty of compliments from people who got a chance to play with my iPhone.
The leather case is nice, but when you still want to slip it into your pocket, I feel the iSkin's iPhone cover is a great, inexpensive protector (comes with screen protector) for roughly $40.

http://www.iskin.com

Yogos

Jun 30, 2007
Is the Sleep button accessible when the case is closed? Same thing with the dock port? Thanks.
When the case is closed the flap covers the dock port so that dust doesn't accumulate. The sleep button is also covered. However, whenever you flip the flap back everything becomes easily accessible.

jaelae

Aug 3, 2007
I just purchased this case and so far, it is exactly what I wanted. I did, however, run into a problem. I got the snap flip case and the holster seems to snap onto it fine - however - the holster clip is VERY loose. I was hoping for a holster similar to other products I have used where it is stiff and the device doesn't easily swing around it.

Anyone else notice this same thing?

rbaron

Bronze
Jan 18, 2007
When the case is closed the flap covers the dock port so that dust doesn't accumulate. The sleep button is also covered. However, whenever you flip the flap back everything becomes easily accessible.
Yogos,

So pretty much when the phone rings you have to take the entire thing off of your belt clip, flip open the case and answer the phone... or pull it out of your pocket and flip the top to answer the phone yes?

Did you get the magnet clip or the snap model?

Of the two browns listed on the site, which one did you get?

JMoney

Aug 3, 2007
Piel Frama

Hi, which one did you get? The wallet style or belt? and thanks!:laugh2:

4) No magnets
5) No unnecessary gizmos