Best iPod/iPhone headphones?

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
For best listening on an ipod I use Etymotic Research

I have a pair of ER4's that are pricey but amazing. And they make a less expensive version - ER6 that sound great too!

These are in-ear headphones that are similar to earplugs (but a lot more comfortable) They won't blow your ear canals out with heavy bass, and seal out noise from around you as they essentially close your ear from outside sound.

Once you try them, you'll never go back to standard Apple buds again!

I'm hoping they'll come out with a set that includes a microphone like the Apple standard iPhone earbuds.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Because, why on EARTH whould Apple NOT advertise this outstanding feature?
You just made your point... the majority of the public don't know/care. Why clutter up the page for something that isn't relevant to 90% of iPhone buyers? By the same token, Apple doesn't list any of the other supported Bluetooth profiles either... it definitely could go either way, we'll just have to wait and see.

With OS X on the device, it probably won't be long until some hacker figures out how to compile GCC for the iPhone and add whatever's missing...

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
You just made your point... the majority of the public don't know/care. Why clutter up the page for something that isn't relevant to 90% of iPhone buyers?
You're kidding, right? I'm sure this would be relevant to 90% of the buyers. This would revolutionize the way people listen to their ipods. This is precisely the kind of thing that Apple would advertise to educate the public. A2DP is just too cool to ignore, if they have it.
With OS X on the device, it probably won't be long until some hacker figures out how to compile GCC for the iPhone and add whatever's missing...
Yeah, LOL. I've heard that before. ;) I heard it regarding my DVD player 5 years ago. I heard it regarding my Archos 604wifi. Neither've happened yet. I hope you won't be upset if I don't hold my breath.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Regarding the v-moda vibes, I have a pair myself. The good: the sound quality is wonderful for the price, the fit (at least in my ears) is superb, and they are comfortable for long periods of time.

The bad: I will caution you that v-moda ships them with the cord bound much too tightly inside the box. Because of this, the right channel often goes out completely because of the strain caused by the packaging on the junction of the left/right channels and the single cord that leads to the jack (the little silver splitter in the middle of the cord). To restore the right channel, one must play with the connection and hold the cord just right. I hope that makes sense, it is kind of hard to explain. I have already been through two pairs that have this issue, (replaced by v-moda) and it is quite disappointing.

Look elsewhere if you desire headphone durability........

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
You're kidding, right? I'm sure this would be relevant to 90% of the buyers. This would revolutionize the way people listen to their ipods. This is precisely the kind of thing that Apple would advertise to educate the public. A2DP is just too cool to ignore, if they have it.
Yeah, LOL. I've heard that before. ;) I heard it regarding my DVD player 5 years ago. I heard it regarding my Archos 604wifi. Neither've happened yet. I hope you won't be upset if I don't hold my breath.
You aware that A2DP is just a bluetooth profile right? It is purely software based. Assuming it is not present in the released version of the iPhone, it is relatively easy to add it with a hack from motivated users or firmware upgrade from Apple.

The A2DP profile is built into OS X 10.5. Since the iPhone is at least partially based on version 10.5 of OS X (it has core animation), I think it is likely that the profile will be included in the iPhone. I think once Apple releases a stereo bluetooth headset, they will advertise the feature.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Well as stated on the first post I went ahead and ordered the v-moda vibe's. I will let you all know hoe they sound...with my 8gb iPhone!:laugh2:

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Actually, Archos has released some their source code...
Yeah, and what use has it brought to the Archos community? None. A quote from the Archofans forum:
Let me get this straight, because I know nothing about open-source. Archos gave out a download of the source code, but made it practically impossible to alter? What's the point? Are they just messing with us?
Archos should have released their entire source code (editable) long ago since the 604wifi is run on Linux. They get the advantage of using a free open source OS. They used Linux as a selling point, but we see none of the advantages. It only helped Archos.

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Well as stated on the first post I went ahead and ordered the v-moda vibe's. I will let you all know hoe they sound...with my 8gb iPhone!:laugh2:
Good luck, I hope yours do not have the same defect both pairs of mine had. If they don't, I am sure that you will love them!

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
You aware that A2DP is just a bluetooth profile right? It is purely software based. Assuming it is not present in the released version of the iPhone, it is relatively easy to add it with a hack from motivated users or firmware upgrade from Apple.
Yes, I am aware of that. However (and please excuse my ignorance) has there ever been a firmware upgrade to give the A2DP capability to any BT 2.0 device before? I've not heard of it yet. That isn't to say that Apple won't do it. But I won't hold my breath. Maybe there are real logistical reasons why it hasn't been done before. Maybe it really can't be done.

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
Hm, what was the subject of this thread? Oh yeah, best headphones.

My all time fave are the Bose QC3. Pricey but well worth it. But I only use them if I'm sitting somewhere. On a plane, waiting for a plane, on the taxi going to the airport, waiting for the taxi going to the airport.... But if I'm out jogging or walking it's just the plain ol' earbuds that come with.

I've tried a couple of other in-the-ear headsets but they also just fall out of my ears anytime I so much as breathe. That includes Apple's fancy in-the-ear headsets.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
adam..that is crazy i hope that doesn't happen. I have a pair of Bose Triport's that I love but need something small. If these don't work I may give up and stick to the Apple headphones. At least those have durability. They never break on me!

adamjohn_98

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
adam..that is crazy i hope that doesn't happen. I have a pair of Bose Triport's that I love but need something small. If these don't work I may give up and stick to the Apple headphones. At least those have durability. They never break on me!
I really hope you have good luck with yours, they sound wonderful when they work :)

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-200-Headphones-Silver/dp/B000089GN4

Probably my favorite headphones I have ever owned. They are not "earbuds" but rather a very well designed over the head style headphones. The are about $50 street price. They aren't noise cancelling per se, but they are still excellent at shutting out outside noise due to their closed ear design. So not only so they block out most outside noise, they also keep those around you from being subjected to listen to the crap that you listen to. (Kidding) Anyway, these headphones are not only manufactured to the highest quality standards out of excellent materials, they also Fold up perfectly into a small hardcase for protection. No matter how nice the headphones are that you purchase, if you don't have an efficient way to store them they will get damaged. I have had this model headset for a number of years, and they still look and sound brand new. You can turn them up as loud as your player will go, and they don't distort at all.

A product which meets the same quality standards as an Apple product, a perfect match!

For the price you would be hard pressed to find a set of headphones that are as good as these babies. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I paid nearly $80 for mine, and its still some of the best money I have ever spent, no kidding!

Just make sure you get the Sennheiser PX-200 model and not the PX-100, the PX-200 is EXCELLENT!

I have given these as gifts and they still use this set of headphones as their primary pair with everything they listen to, MP3 players, airline flights, whatever.

Th come in Black or White. I like the white!

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
Yes, I am aware of that. However (and please excuse my ignorance) has there ever been a firmware upgrade to give the A2DP capability to any BT 2.0 device before? I've not heard of it yet. That isn't to say that Apple won't do it. But I won't hold my breath. Maybe there are real logistical reasons why it hasn't been done before. Maybe it really can't be done.
My current phone didn't have the A2DP profile when I bought it (like all WM5 based phones). It was added about 4 months later via a firmware upgrade. So to answer your question, yes A2DP has been added via a firmware upgrade to a lot of phones (basically any that were WM5 based).

WTEngel

Bronze
May 22, 2007
Texas
I have always been very pleased with Shure brand ear buds. Very good noise isolation and awesome acoustics. Shure has also made a point of informing customers who ask that they are currently developing a set of iPhone specific ear buds that will have an interated microphone along with their awesome acousitcs and noise isolation. They are pricey, with the low end being $99.00, and the high end being $399.00 (that's right, 400.00 for HD ear buds with noise cancelling technology.) I bought the cheap ones, $99.00, and have been more than pleased.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
I just got my v-moda's gunmetal. At first use these sound just as good or even better than my Bose triports. As for sound isolation my dog was barking near me and couldn't even hear him. These are nuts. A ++. Now all i need is an iPhone