Best Mac Mail Client?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by patrickj, Apr 5, 2008.

1. patrickj

patrickj Genius

Question for Geordisjd or one of you Mac veterans. What is the best Mac email client?

I just switched couple weeks ago to a MacBook, and have been trying to like the built-in Mac email app, but it seems awfully flaky to me. It rarely exits cleanly and seems to require a Force Quit more often than not. Also seems to need to rebuild mailboxes quite often. I am using it for three simple POP3 accounts.

Have also installed Thunderbird which I've used in the past on a PC. Don't like its look and feel as much as the Mac app, but beginning to think it may be the better bet ...
  2. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member

I use the stock Mail app. Runs fine for me, and it's the most Mac like mail app I can find.

- John
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Eragon

Eragon Zealot

I've been a long time hotmail user since I had been using the PC. When I got my iMac, I signed up for a .Mac account and use the OS X mail application. I've been very happy with Mail. In fact, I got rid of the Yahoo mail with broken push and access all of my Mail on my iPhone.

With my hotmail account now upgraded to Windows Live, I've set the option to forward my hotmail to a subaccount (have family plan) on .Mac. I've even done the same with my Outlook mail from work. Been extremely happy.

As an aside, I also have Entourage on my iMac and have that set to sync with my hotmail. Access to Hotmail via Safari on my iMac has been shaky for some reason. It's just easier to open my Windows VM and sign in. I also have Microsoft Office, which includes Entourage. Periodically, I go into Entourage to clean up my hotmail account.
  5. gcvt

gcvt Zealot

I still use the Mail app, but have had great success with Eudora in the past. Doesn't look too fancy or anything, but works well and is stable.
  6. patrickj

patrickj Genius

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'm still using Mac Mail for now, but it has a real issue with exiting gracefully. 3 out of 4 times, I need to use Force Quite to get it to close out completely ...
  7. dturner

dturner Zealot

I too am new to the mac. So I am not a veteran, but have been using Mac Mail and have had no problems. I wonder if you should go to the Apple Store and see about this. Having to Force Quite that many times seems to indicate a problem of some kind.
  8. patrickj

patrickj Genius

Thanks. I'll think about that, but for now as all else is golden (touch wood) I'll either: a) live with it and look for a fix online b) just switch back over to Thunderbird.

Cheers
  9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius

my mail app has been working ok... although I just leave it on all the time. I'm not a heavy user though...