Best NES Games

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Whare the best ones for the NES app? Most games im trying to play seem to be hindered by the controlls....

What are the best ones? I thought I saw a thread which ranked them.....but I cant find it at all....

So im asking again....what games have you had the most success with?

Games I have right now are Dig Dug, Super Mario, Pacman, and Mega Man.....

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Whare the best ones for the NES app? Most games im trying to play seem to be hindered by the controlls....

What are the best ones? I thought I saw a thread which ranked them.....but I cant find it at all....

So im asking again....what games have you had the most success with?

Games I have right now are Dig Dug, Super Mario, Pacman, and Mega Man.....
What rom do you use for Super Mario? Every one that I have tried makes the screen split in half vertically and the first half is really messed up.

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
alright well that thread doesn't have many games on it...

So ill keep this thread up and ask opinion of more games that arent on that list...

medafor

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
mike tysons punchout(the best imo), metroid, metal gear, mario 1,2,3, zelda, tecmo bowl, rygar, ninja gaiden, strider. anything you play is going to be pretty cheessy, these games are like 1989. I still love them though. i cant wait for SNES. SNES is very nice!

dietPEPSI

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
mike tysons punchout(the best imo), metroid, metal gear, mario 1,2,3, zelda, tecmo bowl, rygar, ninja gaiden, strider. anything you play is going to be pretty cheessy, these games are like 1989. I still love them though. i cant wait for SNES. SNES is very nice!
yeah but do those play well with the controls? I know playing mario is kind of difficult....because the controls arent as precise as the real controller

And i cant wait for a snes one either....
But with all the buttons I don't know how its gonna work

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Basically, if you're at least 30yrs old, then you can rejoice knowing your childhood arcade favorites work and play very well on the iPhone. These include such timeless classics as:

Pacman
Ms.Pacman
Pacmania
Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Q*Bert
Arkanoid
Galaga
Galaxian
Baseball
Tennis
Super Off Road
Circus Charlie
DigDug
Bubble Bobble
Tetris
Ring King
Popeye

Non-Arcade Classics:

RC ProAM
RC ProAM 2
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Baloon Fight
Boulder Dash
MULE
Famicom Wars (English Hack)
Bard's Tale
Dr.Mario
Monopoly
Wheel of Fortune

Basically, these games play well, you don't have to make any exceptions, or re-learn how to play a "new way" like it's been in the past.

medafor

Bronze
Aug 29, 2007
yeah but do those play well with the controls? I know playing mario is kind of difficult....because the controls arent as precise as the real controller

And i cant wait for a snes one either....
But with all the buttons I don't know how its gonna work
Get the latest build it works great, there was major issues with the controls last week(for one the dpad would stick), they fixed them, very playable now.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
My current ROM list:

Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Gradius
Kid Icarus
Megaman
Metroid
Maniac Mansion
Ninja Gaiden
PacMan
Punchout
R.C. ProAm
Silent Service
Zelda 2
castlevania
contra
double dragon
final fantasy
mario
metal gear
zelda

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Basically, if you're at least 30yrs old, then you can rejoice knowing your childhood arcade favorites work and play very well on the iPhone. These include such timeless classics as:

Pacman
Ms.Pacman
Pacmania
Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong 3
Q*Bert
Arkanoid
Galaga
Galaxian
Baseball
Tennis
Super Off Road
Circus Charlie
DigDug
Bubble Bobble
Tetris
Ring King
Popeye

Non-Arcade Classics:

RC ProAM
RC ProAM 2
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Baloon Fight
Boulder Dash
MULE
Famicom Wars (English Hack)
Bard's Tale
Dr.Mario
Monopoly
Wheel of Fortune

Basically, these games play well, you don't have to make any exceptions, or re-learn how to play a "new way" like it's been in the past.
Very nice list.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
@Mike
Thanks! From PocketNES on the iPAQ to NES on the iPhone. I keep getting older but the games stay the same no matter what platform I seem to be on, lol.

@TheApple
Do you actually play Contra? You can't shoot diagnoally down or up while running, and that severely limits the game's playability imho.

This also applies to Rush'n'Attack which requires a diagonally forward key press to jump over the mines on the first level.

It's really a shame, because both of these games are emulated very well, yet theres still the control barrier keeping me from properly enjoying them.

I'd REALLY love to know how to get in touch with Nervgas, and offer some input on the control scheme, specifically the A and B buttons. I turned on debug mode and noticed theres no "A+B" button between the A and B hot spots. This is a problem, because how it is currently set up you can't ever press A and B together. So running and jumping in Super Mario does work, but at the cost of either losing momentum because you are no longer pressing B, or losing height in your jump because you're not holding A. To achieve the optimal jump, you must hold both the A and B buttons together.

The current hot spots should look like this:

[ A |[+]| B ]

The "+" would be the "A+B" button.

They currently look like this
[ A || B ]

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Do I play contra? Not very well.......but the only game I am reasonably good at on the phone is punch out. I would love to see someone come out with a controller. I have heard people say they wouldn't want to lug around a controller. If a company could come out with a controller with another purpose, (like perhaps a built in phone charger?) people would find a good reason to lug it around. I know...........that is far fetched.