Best NFL App

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Lon, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

What Apps are people using to follow the NFL? I have tried what appears to be the official NFL App, but when I try to open it I only get a screen with verizon in it announcing that I have a jailbroken device. I do have xCon installed on my iP5, but that doesn't seem to be fixing the issue.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't watch football, but as far as I understand it, Verizon has an exclusive deal with the NFL and they are the only ones that have the official NFL app and it's only available on certain Verizon Android phones (maybe Verizon Windows phones, too?). This Verizon app is the only one that compares to MLB at Bat in quality and features. There is nothing comparable on iOS because the NFL is extremely protective of their property and Apple doesn't allow carriers to put their branded apps on iPhones.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Perhaps. I thought we had what purported to be an official NFL App last season. If Verizon got involved they certainly aren't liking jailbroken iPhones! My wife's 3GS is not jailbroken so I will give it a try on hers.

4. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I just use the Yahoo Sports app. Doesn't run under the beta, though.

5. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

There are a bunch of 3rd party sports apps out there. I will give Yahoo a try also. Just seems odd that just about every other sport has a official App (including even the PGA & LPGA), but the NFL hasn't bothered.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just to follow up, I loaded the NFL app into an un-jailbroken 3GS, and it loaded just fine. (Actually it was kind of slow. What a speed difference between the 3GS and the 5!).

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This isn't the official NFL app, right? I'm pretty sure that is limited to Verizon and there is no Verizon 3GS. Plus Apple doesn't allow carriers to put their branded apps on iPhones, so I don't know how you could do that unless it was jailbroken. Are the 3GS and 5 on the same firmware version?

8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Here is the App in the App Store and trying to load on my iP5. It looks pretty official. I can't remember which version iOS is running on the 3GS. I get the same loading screen on my iP4s and on my iPad 1 - which is running 5.xxx. All 3 of these devices are jailbroken and running xCon. iPad is also running xCon Alias.

photo.PNG photo2.png

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1.5 stars. Ouch. That probably means it has limited features and is not comparable to the carrier-branded app that comes stock on certain Verizon Android phones.

#9 Europa, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2014
  10. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Oops. Sorry about the double post.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It might be the firmware. Check that 3GS and post back.

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

It seems to me that I recall that video streaming on the App was only going to be available to Verizon customers.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah. I edited my first post in this thread last night to explain that a little better. Not sure if you saw the edit.

14. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just checked the 3GS. it is on 6.1. Same as my iP5. So App runs on AT&T phones. No streaming though. Bottom line. NFL is totally in bed with Verizon. (FU on them). And Verizon is strong enough to defeat xCon. Lots of 3rd party Apps. Tells me a lot about NFL - if I didn't know it already.

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They are protective of their property and they made an exclusive deal with Verizon. It's not really the NFL's fault that Apple doesn't allow carrier-branded apps. If they did, the Verizon iPhone would probably have the official NFL app (with streaming) pre-installed.

16. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Update. The NFL just posted an update to its App. It now opens and works fine on my iP5.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Does it have video steaming?

18. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

It is streaming news programs and such right now. I am certain it won't be streaming games or highlights. I think it has been pretty well-publicized that streaming can only take place through Verizon. However, it seems to be a pretty decent app for following the NFL.

19. sddspence

sddspence New Member

there is a NFL Game Pass app that lets you watch the games live through the app.
    I think its in the UK Store