Best note taking app Notability my quick review

Discussion in 'iPad Apps and Games' started by Zipur, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Zipur

Zipur Member
    Bronze

I've been on the hunt for a good not taking app since i pickup the iPad . Well Penultimate was king until i stumbled onto Notability. I don't know if it's my iPad maturity or boredom but Penultimate just didn't do it for me any longer. I do love it palm rest feature but above that it's blan. Now Notabilty is full featured, multiple colors, papers, ink sizes. you can auto-sync your notes to drop box for backup. It will import pictures and even web clips which is unique. You can organize notes into subject and category AND you can even Password protect a given note!

Best of all it's on sale so there is nothing to loose.

Check it out on YouTube it will blow you away.

2. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Notesplus and Noteshelf are also very good.

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

+1 for notability, you get a lot for the price too. A must have for new iPad owners.

4. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

Have you guys figured out how erase something you wrote without it erasing the whole letter or word? I can't partially erase something and that really annoys me.

5. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Wow! I'm really taken by this app. It won't be that useful for me yet but I have a family member who started taking his iPad to work and is likely dying to use this. Since I'm left-handed, I plan on getting a stylus/pen to see if it works better for me. Being retired, my cursive writing has gone to crap due to the lack of need. With electronic bill pay, for example, I even have to practice how to sign my name now.

YMMV

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I did noticed that, I don't know how to do it either.

7. theorioles33

theorioles33 Evangelist
    Silver

8. fjclaus

fjclaus Member
    Bronze

I personally use Evernote. How does this compare?

9. Barbara99942

Barbara99942 New Member

All of these stylus mentioned are a waste of money and time. The stylus-r-us ones are the only way to go. Try beststylusDOTcom and you'll never need another stylus

10. fjclaus

fjclaus Member
    Bronze

I personally like the Great Shield pen/stylus the best. At 14.95 its much cheaper than the Stylus R Us ones. Whats the purpose of a telescoping stylus?

11. Barbara99942

Barbara99942 New Member

I'd try and answer why telescoping stylus but I think they'd do a better job on their page link called iPad Stylus. Unless you do note-taking 90% of the time, you have no idea what you're missing by a) not having a stylus-r-us stylus and b) by not having a telescoping one. The terminator is so cool. And best of all, they never skip or miss activation. No pressure at all. All of my rubber tipped ones broke within weeks to one month. Everyone wants to spend a few dollars and expects to get a great stylus. Not going to happen. You get what you pay for. Believe that.

12. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

I thought this topic was about the Notability app, not stylus company spamming...

Thanks for giving us the heads up on Notability. I've been looking for an app like this for a while, but found nothing good. I love the handwriting feature as it's similar to what the Nintendo DS offered. With the Nintendo DS you could handwrite letters at a time and they would be converted to text. With Notability, you can handwrite large text and have it converted to smaller text.

I love this because the iPad for handwriting was never viable because you'd always end up having to write so large, you could never take notes in a real life situation. With this feature of converting the larger text to smaller, you can actually take notes in real life situations.

13. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Ok based on this tread, I invested my $1 and bought the app. Its really fantastic. Its so good, my daughter bought it for her iPad to draw on. I'll use it in businesss and for ideas I'll need to jot down. This is a great find.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

also check draw pad for your little kid. It's free for another 24 hours and universal.

Attached Files:

15. Zipur

Zipur Member
    Bronze

Are you talking hand writing or typing. In handwriting/drawing mode the delete will delete an entire drawn line so if you do cursive it will delete the entire word. For me I use a hybribe unreadable mess of cursive where each couple of letters are joined so I nly loose a couple of letters when I delete.

I hope that helps I'm just learning it too.

I did find a very cool feature of it for me. I have lots of PDFs up In Dropbox for work and church. I was able to import entire folders at one time and it maintains the file names. I can modify or change and send right back up todropbox.the

I know other apps do this like GoodReader but these apps don't have Markup features that Notabability has, at least in my limited experience living in the PAD.