best power management practices

mlecho

Oct 25, 2007
hi- i have looked about and around, and i am seeing some conflicting info. I have questions about best practices in terms of battery conservation (both daily use, and long term): For example, what are the big juice eaters during daily use? Obviously video, but is data consumption also a biggie?

Most important, i would like to know about the battery. If i always charge my iPhone, or simply leave it plugged in more than not, will the battery get weaker in time? (this used to be true with older rechargable batteries) Or is it better practice to use up the battery and get the battery as low as possible before the next charge?

Thanks- as i said, i looked around the forums (and google) but saw different philosophies...

Oct 15, 2007
you put that better than I could! My battery is low or dead before I get home from work.... I play with my phone a lot but sheesh, thats bad. So, what he said^^^^^

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
First, Data is probably the biggest consumer of power. WiFi is worse than edge, but both use a lot of power. So does bluetooth.
My recommendation is this.
1) when pulling data over Edge (web, mail, etc) try to make sure you have the most bars available.
2)leave WiFi and BT off, unless you are actually using it.
3) the brightness of your screen is also a huge battery waster. I leave the slider over the "gh" in the word Brightness with auto on
4) Running the battery to nothing can actually do more harm than good. It's ok to do once a month or so, but not on a regular basis. I recharge my phone after it gets lower than 50 % most times.
5)when done browsing a web page, open a new page to blank and then go back and close the one you were browsing, as this prevents any page from updating that requires it.

Average battery life I get is about 2 days, with 20min of WiFi per day, maybe the same for BT, about 20 MB download over edge, and 30-60 minutes of talk time. that's running the battery to about 30%. I can go almost 3 if I let it run till I get the 10% warning.

NMprofessional

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Rochester NY
I keep my WIFI off which in my opinion the biggest battery drain. I use EDGE 95% of the time, even for MP3 streaming from the net. I have Bluetooth on 24/7, screen brightness on auto.

I listen to my iPod each day for 6-7 hours - most of the time with my screen off. Watch 30 mins of small length video podcasts. Take 1-2 hours in phone calls every day. I surf the net on EDGE about 30 mins - 1 hour.

With that said... I generally have 30% - 50% of battery life at 9 pm at night. I normally top up my battery each night switching between USB charging in my laptop and wall charging.

For me it is the LONGEST lasting battery life I have every had in a phone.

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
If you're looking to really conserve the battery, keep wifi and bluetooth off, and limit your time online and watching videos. Setting mail to check manually wouldn't hurt either.

My understanding is that leaving the iPhone plugged in does not harm the battery. Mine gets plugged in every night regardless of what the battery meter says. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Here's some info from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

jay12

Oct 18, 2007
changing the brightness will save you a lot of battery.. also when im done browsing on safari i hold the home button until the window closes...

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hawk you gave out quite a bit of misinformation.

First off the screen is almost ALWAYS, in any situation even with a laptop, the most power consuming piece. Next would either be hard drive or CPU, but in our case this isn't a problem.

Next, Wifi uses LESS power then EDGE. i knew ahead of time like some people, but PC world proved it with a few tests.

What you really want to watch out for is service. Although it doesn't use much power it does use it all day 24hrs (when on 24hrs). If you have a low signal you will really drain that battery fast. As long as the screen isn't being used too much and the signal strength is good then battery life should be decent. Start using the internet and all these factors are being used....people tend to think it's processing power, when it's not too much.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Just turn it off and stick it in a drawer. The battery will last for days!

Actually, I just charge mine at night. As for the WiFi, maybe it's just me, I rarely turn it off. When there is no router available, it disappears and my battery consumption remains the same. The signal strength is an issue. Fortunately, we have AT&T (formerly Cingular) equipment inside the building so my signal strength is strong all day. I have a weaker signal outside :)

I miss my 3G 8525!

Still like the iPhone

Oct 15, 2007
I charge mine all night, still died on my way home from work last night. Was bad,stuck in horrible traffic and running late and couldn't make a call. I don't use my phone constantly. I check my mail about 5 or 10 times, I.M. A bit and use the phone. I don't use the iPod during the day at all. I guess ill have to buy a charger for my car and bring my old ipod charger to work. Maybe its just me but that seems to defeat the whole "wireless" idea...wonder if the guys in the Apple store can help. Btw, I go back and forth with wifi/edge depending on signal strength and my screen brightness is on auto..

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I charge mine all night, still died on my way home from work last night. Was bad,stuck in horrible traffic and running late and couldn't make a call. I don't use my phone constantly. I check my mail about 5 or 10 times, I.M. A bit and use the phone. I don't use the iPod during the day at all. I guess ill have to buy a charger for my car and bring my old ipod charger to work. Maybe its just me but that seems to defeat the whole "wireless" idea...wonder if the guys in the Apple store can help. Btw, I go back and forth with wifi/edge depending on signal strength and my screen brightness is on auto..
Charge up your phone and before pulling it off the charger, clear the usage data. Then, when it gets close to dying again, write down your usage- all of it except maybe lifetime stats, and keep it handy. Do this a couple times and then take it with you to an Apple store and have them test it, or call in to the support line and give them the data and they will help you.
I did this and they replaced my phone, and I don't think my battery died as nearly as quick as yours. Since replacing my phone, I went to NYC, and was draining my battery twice as fast as normal because of lots of internet and moderate signal strength, so if your signal is poor in the general area you are always in, then this can easily be part of the problem.