Best Skins Ever / Screen Protector Poll

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Relationship between screen protectors and body skins w/ touchscreen failures.

• I have had a full body skin (with or without screen protector) and had a touchscreen failure.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I have had only a screen protector on my iPhone and had a touchscreen failure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a full body skin (with or without screen protector) and haven't had any touchscreen failure.

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • I have a screen protector and nothing else, and haven't had any touchscreen failure.

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Full Body Skin / Screen Protector / Touchscreen Failure Poll

I'd like to hear from iPhone owners who have used the Best Skins Ever full body skin, or users who have had screen protectors on their iPhone.

Have you experienced any touch screen problems or failures?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I'd like to hear from iPhone owners who have used the Best Skins Ever full body skin, or users who have had screen protectors on their iPhone.

I did. I think I'm the one who alerted you to the issue actually. Hopefully it's just a coincidence.

Hey, you should make this an actual poll, doncha think?

rondz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Bay Area
I've had a Martin Fields iPhone screen protector ever since the first week I've had my iPhone. I've had no problems with the touch screen feature. It all depends on the type of screen protector you get. Some of them are just made so generic and too thick or too thin or too slippery. If you're looking to just get a screen protector I'd visit Martin Fields. It's a perfect fit for the screen and it's washable & reusable.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I think some people might be missing the point of this poll I'm afraid.

What the OP is trying to figure out is "has the screen protector PERMANANTLY ruined your touchscreen."

Not 100% sure, but it MIGHT have done that to mine.

Nuggets

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Why would the screen "protector" render your touchscreen useless? What is the theory behind this? I currenty have a bodyguardz skin on the screen and aside from the screen being a little less sensitive to touch (yes, they do interfere with the phones operation in some regards), everything is good to go. Are people getting their units wet or something when applying the skinz? I did the windex method and my screen was pretty wet and nothing happened.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Maybe the installation procedure. BSE tells you to dip the protector in the soap solution. This procedure might get water inside the phone if you aren't careful.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe the installation procedure. BSE tells you to dip the protector in the soap solution. This procedure might get water inside the phone if you aren't careful.
Yes, I believe it MAY be related to the fact that the body skin uses moisture to adjust it properly on the phone. I was trying to decide whether or not I would apply the new one when it arrives. It provides GREAT protection.

bcaslis

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Oregon
Honestly I've used best skins ever, invisible shield, and bodyguardz (not all on the iPhone though). For the iPhone specifically I firmly believe that the best one by far is the crystal film you can get from an Apple retail store or online. It's not made by Apple but it works great. It's a firm plastic that feels like the original screen and uses static cling. No soapy solutions needed. Much much easier and better results than any of other three. Once it's on it doesn't come off, but you can get it off easily with a piece of scotch tape.

Run, don't walk to get the crystal film if you want a screen protector.

ridamo

Aug 5, 2007
touch screen failure

Hello...and yes

After 31 days of ownership...my screen started to act strange...First it wasn't taking all the taps and shutting down. Being a mac savvy nut, I figured that all I had to do was reboot (power off+menu) rinse, repeat, ect. No go.

Then I did a software refresh and total re-upload of the software..all 92mb!
Reload my backup through iTunes...which stalled on the email thing since it uses internal programming to reenter numericals..which there was a failure. Everything else reloaded. Figured I reload manually...yeah..right!

Still no go... now the iPhone keyboard doesn't respond to taps on the lower screen on on keyboard funtions, doesn't respond to the 123, space, return buttons.....which means no email, web surfing, notes, ect since I cannot re-enter my WEP numerical key for wifi! Can only use EDGE for email or unencrypt my router or sit in front of the Apple store to surf. Yeah....off to the Boca Raton Applestoreland!

It's the weekend...I go and they tell me to bring it back to macland on Monday and off to the Apple mothership for repair/replacement under warranty. I'll have it back in 3 businesss days (Wed/Thur) !@#?%^ Oh..and by the way, $30.00 for a loaner iPhone! Thanks..no..I'll use my old trusty RAZR communicator for 3 days...it just the point of having to pay for the $599 + the 2yrs of $79/mo and I have to pay $30.00?

That's just BS imho..Shame on you Steve-O

jviphone

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Hello...and yes

After 31 days of ownership...my screen started to act strange...First it wasn't taking all the taps and shutting down. Being a mac savvy nut, I figured that all I had to do was reboot (power off+menu) rinse, repeat, ect. No go.

Then I did a software refresh and total re-upload of the software..all 92mb!
Reload my backup through iTunes...which stalled on the email thing since it uses internal programming to reenter numericals..which there was a failure. Everything else reloaded. Figured I reload manually...yeah..right!

Still no go... now the iPhone keyboard doesn't respond to taps on the lower screen on on keyboard funtions, doesn't respond to the 123, space, return buttons.....which means no email, web surfing, notes, ect since I cannot re-enter my WEP numerical key for wifi! Can only use EDGE for email or unencrypt my router or sit in front of the Apple store to surf. Yeah....off to the Boca Raton Applestoreland!

It's the weekend...I go and they tell me to bring it back to macland on Monday and off to the Apple mothership for repair/replacement under warranty. I'll have it back in 3 businesss days (Wed/Thur) !@#?%^ Oh..and by the way, $30.00 for a loaner iPhone! Thanks..no..I'll use my old trusty RAZR communicator for 3 days...it just the point of having to pay for the $599 + the 2yrs of $79/mo and I have to pay $30.00?

That's just BS imho..Shame on you Steve-O
I agree, to have to pay while they fix your phone that shouldnt even be broken after 30 days is crazy, I am still waiting to get mine back, I just got an email today saying they recievd it for repair and are analyzing it, the similar thing happened mine being that i couldnt unlock the phone the multitouch on the bottom didn't work. I refused to pay the 30 dollars..you have to be kidding me..they should have just gave me a new phone then and there. I also had a screen protector that you buy at the Apple store, I am debating whether or not putting the other on when i get it back.

This is what I get for buying the first version of the product I guess..:(

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Honestly I've used best skins ever, invisible shield, and bodyguardz (not all on the iPhone though). For the iPhone specifically I firmly believe that the best one by far is the crystal film you can get from an Apple retail store or online. It's not made by Apple but it works great. It's a firm plastic that feels like the original screen and uses static cling. No soapy solutions needed. Much much easier and better results than any of other three. Once it's on it doesn't come off, but you can get it off easily with a piece of scotch tape.

Run, don't walk to get the crystal film if you want a screen protector.
I agree. These work GREAT.

i_poo

Aug 9, 2007
i've only tried best skins ever...

when i got it in the mail--didn't expect to use WATER with it... but i've had no problems so far after installing the full body skin. went on clean, got nervous a bit due to using water on my new phone, and everything came out fine after it dried.

no touchscreen failures yet. but its only been two weeks--so not sure how it will pan out later. but works perfect so far.

good price for what you get and cheaper than the others.

however, i may try a crystal film next. the review sounds great :laugh2:

my other case is the incase rubber sleeve in red... which goes will with just a screen protector and holds well during impact for those possible accidents.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I use a Crystal film on the screen and BSE for the rest. Great combo, IMO. The BSE makes the iPhone much easier to grip, and ensures the back plastic piece will not come loose.

Before the BSE I was using the Incase rubber sleeve, but now will only use that sleeve occasionally. Definitely prefer the naked look, and size, of the iPhone; and the ability to use the dock. The BSE at least offers some protection--and as noted offers better grip.

--
Mike

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
I use a Crystal film on the screen and BSE for the rest. Great combo, IMO. The BSE makes the iPhone much easier to grip, and ensures the back plastic piece will not come loose.

Before the BSE I was using the Incase rubber sleeve, but now will only use that sleeve occasionally. Definitely prefer the naked look, and size, of the iPhone; and the ability to use the dock. The BSE at least offers some protection--and as noted offers better grip.

--
Mike
That's my combo as well...'I've spent several hundred $ looking fot that perfect case and have come to the sad conclusion that it doesn't exist:(