Best software to unlock/jailbreak iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 4th gen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Little-Acorn, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Well, I got a used iPhone 3GS 32GB, and my son is getting an iPod Touch (4th Gen).

I understand that the iPhone can be unlocked so I can use it on T-Mobile and other providers, and can also be jailbroken so I can use apps that are not from iTunes.

I've also heard that such things can be done to the iPod Touch. True/false?

What's your favorite software for unlocking and jailbreaking these gadgets?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Moved to iPhone Jailbreak.

3. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Well, for my 3gs (new bootrom) I used redsn0w to jailbreak. Since I had it previously unlocked, I also used redsn0w to preserve my unlock (i.e. preserve my baseband). What is your current baseband (modem) version? Find this in options->general->about. Ultrasnow unlock is not compatible with all basebands.

4. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Thanks for replying, ring0_event! Mine says Version 5.0.1 (9A405), and a little further down says Modem Firmware 06.15.00

Do either of those sound useful? (I'm a complete iPhone newbie, though I'm a computer hardware and software engineer)

Right now I'm mostly interested in unlocking so I can use it with my current carrier T-Mobile. Might jailbreak later, depending on what apps are available.

5. ring0_event

ring0_event Member
    Bronze

Hey Little-Acorn,

You can jailbreak easily with redsn0w (since it supports 5.01).
    http://www.redsn0w.us/

As for unlocking, it appears that ultrasnow supports your baseband because you have a 3gs! So *after you jailbreak*, you can just go to Cydia (which is the "app store" which has all the non-Apple sanctioned apps) and install Ultrasnow, and presto, you're unlocked!
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/12/21/how-to-unlock-ios-5-0-1-with-ultrasn0w/