Best Streaming Music / Radio App?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I don't want to junk up my phone so I'd like to use just one radio app and I'm curios which one you think is the best (between pandora, last.fm, AOL radio, and any others)

I know they all work well. Don't just reply saying "well I know pandora is good". I'm more interest in comparisons, why should I choose one over another?

Which do you use the most and why?

***EDIT: I found a good answer to my own question:

Pandora is known for its ability to show you music you never existed, based on tastes in songs and artists that you already enjoy. From there, Pandora generates stations for you to listen to, that have songs that share qualities with the artist/song you picked. It even offers to let you buy the song off of iTunes or Amazon!

Last.fm, on the other hand, is more of a social network then a music discovery site. Its scribbler system allows you to submit the tracks you listen to the most on Last.fm’s site, so others can see what you’re into. Like Pandora, it can also play music for you, but lacks a lot of the discovery that Pandora offers on its app/site.

I'm going Pandora.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
pandora, it's the only one of it's kind. read about it, it's awesome.

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
In Pandora, you can get customized radio stations by typing in your favorite song/band and it will play songs that are similar to it. You can make as many of these stations as you want and it works flawlessly even over the EDGE network. And best of all, its FREE with no hidden fees like those sneaky bastards of Shazaam! Haha.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
In Pandora, you can get customized radio stations by typing in your favorite song/band and it will play songs that are similar to it. You can make as many of these stations as you want and it works flawlessly even over the EDGE network. And best of all, its FREE with no hidden fees like those sneaky bastards of Shazaam! Haha.
yes but doesn't last.fm do the same thing?

You guys aren't answering the question. I know Pandora is great already, what I want to know is why it is better than last.fm or AOL radio (if you do think it is better that is)

iChristian

Bronze
May 28, 2008
Pandora is better because you can customize your radio stations. Haven't tried last.fm but I have tried AOL radio and it's slower than Pandora and has limited stations.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
my vote also goes to panndora, you basically build your own radio station so there's no way you can't like it. I use it in my car all the time and has basically replaced my iPod in my phone. the only bad thing about it is that sometimes it does kinda skip while playing though edge but outer than that it's great.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
You guys aren't answering the question. I know Pandora is great already, what I want to know is why it is better than last.fm or AOL radio (if you do think it is better that is)
Pandora is better than last.fm for one simple reason: speed. last.fm actually has superior SOUND, but it's hard to get to that great sound when you're waiting for buffering. Pandora is fast and has decent sound.

AOL Radio serves almost an entirely different purpose. Sound quality isn't good here either, but if you're more into actual "genre" of music, this is good. I've heard a song that I eventually bought on iTunes. While Pandora takes bands or songs you like and extrapolates other bands or songs you may like, AOL radio is a bit simpler if you want to listen to 90s R&B, 80's Pop or today's Top 40 Hits. Or you can listen to actual radio stations across the U.S.

Right now, I'm testing Simplify Media. It allows you to access (most of) your iTunes library over your iPhone internet connection. For the most part it works well. However, so far in my test this morning, the deeper into a building I go, the more it buffers and doesn't play. I have found though that when you first bring it up, it takes a while to buffer, then it eventually plays. This is free for now, but it will be a paid app.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I prefer Tuner. Although it cost 5.99 it will let you open any compatible stream you like. Including every single shoutcast and live 365 stream.

It also allows me to open my own stream of my own mp3 collection using NiceCast on my mac.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I prefer Tuner. Although it cost 5.99 it will let you open any compatible stream you like. Including every single shoutcast and live 365 stream.

It also allows me to open my own stream of my own mp3 collection using NiceCast on my mac.
That's cool. Is there an easy way to figure out if my local radio station has a compatible internet stream?

Might be worth the $5.99 if I can really make use of it.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
That's cool. Is there an easy way to figure out if my local radio station has a compatible internet stream?

Might be worth the $5.99 if I can really make use of it.
There is a windows program called URL Helper that will find the url of the stream you are playing. It iTunes or QT can open the sream then Tuner can open it also.

Don't waste your time with any clear channel stations. That will not stream to any hand held device. They set some type of token to make sure you are using their player and viewing there ads.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Don't waste your time with any clear channel stations. That will not stream to any hand held device. They set some type of token to make sure you are using their player and viewing there ads.
That's too bad. ClearChannel has a monopoly on radio stations here. Still, Tuner might be worth it for the Coast To Coast AM/24-7. :laugh2: