Best techniques for snagging an iPhone 5 online on launch day

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by Rafagon, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I was thinking, this time around, I may buy the iPhone via a whole new route--online at Apple.com. To date, I've never ordered an iPhone online on launch day. Have any of you gone this route before? What are my chances of success? Should I be on http://www.apple.com at 00:00, the day of, and try ordering at that point? Would it be 00:00 my time zone (Eastern), or would it be 00:00 Pacific Time, for Cupertino? Do I need to be online at 23:30 the night before and hit refresh on my browser every minute or so until I get through? Am I going to need to have both of my laptops online as well in order to have any chance of getting it?

Also, as a backup, if I should fail at Apple.com, does att.com offer the iPhone starting at exactly the same time as Apple.com?

Thanks for any input!

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

OK first you make certain your account is all set up and ready to go and not an expired card attached or you moved and your shipping changed etc.
    I get up right before release date (that will be in Pacific time)
    I have my alarm set but am to excited to sleep anyway. There should be plenty of people around here posting LOL
    Last time my internet provider reset at 3am and I had no internet so I used the App and it worked just fine
    I advise against AT&T rather just keep trying online with Apple
    I never had a problem getting my order/orders in for 1st wave of shipments.
    So well I guess we see ya around that day/night/morning ?

3. medenblik

medenblik Contributor
    Silver

i will be Apple.com 1/2 hour before the pre-ordering starts.......

hopefully they added more servers this time.....they know they are going to be hit HARD by people pre-ordering.

4. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I am personally going to use the iPhone app. Set up express checkout and BOOM! Simples.

Sent from my iOS EcoSystem

5. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Double post. My bad.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

7. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

8. jfleming01

jfleming01 Member
    Bronze

I'll most likely be at the office on the first shipment day (thereforee not there at home to sign for it) is it easy to change delivery destination to my office address?

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

you could use the office address as your shipping address I would do that before hand
    If you are not home you could pre sign the shipment but then they leave it at the door NOT A GOOD IDEA

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

How does the phone number situation work when you order at Apple.com? Do they ask you if you want to use one of your current phone numbers or obtain a new phone number for the iPhone you're ordering right there during the checkout process?

Also, this is a very specific question, but does anyone know if they'll allow me to re-activate my old phone number that I had on my 4S when I reported the 4S lost? That number still shows up on my account information at att.com, it shows up as "suspended." I would like to give that number to the "5" if possible.

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter
    Rafagon

I will set my alarm and get up at 2:50am, 10 minutes before the 3AM Eastern order time and prepare to order. I think this go around I'll use the Apple Store App. I will also set up the Apple store web site on my computer just in case the App starts acting funky and doesn't want to work or can't work. I have that EasyPay option set up so hopefully it goes fast. I truly hope there are no snaggs with the App. I don't want any problems. It will be so cool to order the new iPhone with the Apple Store App!

I'll have my Starbucs Double Shot coffee because after the order I'll be too keeyed up to go back to sleep. I'll just get ready to go to work. Save my day off for the delivery on September 21st! YEAH!

I ordered from AT&T last year. I am not doing that this year!

12. billnye97

billnye97 Contributor
    Silver

I ordered from Verizon with no problems when it went live at 3am. I think I woke up like 15 minutes before. The Apple.com site crashed so I went through Verizon.

13. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Thats the same thing that happened to me last year. I went to Apple.com first and it wasn't working out so I panicked because I wanted to get my order through to be in the first wave, and receive my iPhone on launch day, so went to the AT&T site where there was no problem ordering. It was a breeze. The problems came after and I am never ordering from AT&T again.

14. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Oh may ........I may switch carrier now since Sprint has 4G LTE all over Baltimore and sourrounding areas
    I actually believe Sprint is to watch as a LTE provider for the future as they have definated plans for the next step to LTE advance
    But they have a deal for ported line costumers what I can only get in the store ........

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

imutter Good luck with your switch! I can't switch, AT&T service is GR8 over here while T-mobile and Sprint not so much. In fact all places I go AT&T service rocks!

I hope Sprint pulls something outta the hat that causes AT&T to change people to a full discount rather than a partial. When Other companies have awesome promotions, AT&T does things to keep their customers. Or so I think. Heck, I just wanna save some $! LOL!:D

16. snowtrooper1966

Gold

As mentioned in your other thread, I did the switch to Sprint @ 4S launch last fall.
    I camped out to be first in line at my local Sprint store for the fun and to be first, but I could have walked in at opening and got the 4S...
    I did all the porting and new account right there that morning.
    Would imagine it should be similar this time around.

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am still not 100% decided I have been with AT&T before Cingular before BellSouth
    since 93 I believe is when I got my 1st mobil phone
    AT&T has been a bid a dissapointment starting with the poor voice and overloaded data service in my area (can't say for LTE since we have iPhones)
    Now they make us pay for FT after I already pay for the Hotspot (I have more data then I ever use just because of the hot spot)
    I checked Verizon but their LTE is not here at my house (Sprint and AT&T have LTE at my house and sorrounding areas)
    I may not switch after all if word has it I am moving again.

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

You've got quite a decision to make. I'm not switching again. I left Verizon for AT&T in '08 and I had been with Verizon since 2000 through 2008. Couldn't take it anymore and wanted the iPhone so Poof! I left. Glad I did. I love AT&T We've save so much money being with them and I can't complain about the service. The AT&T bill is the same every month with Verizon it was different for stupid reasons and they had bad customer service. So Glad I Left! U have choices and I hope if you have to move you pick the best service for you.

AT&T is starting to play around with the choices and plans we have. It was inevitable. They have to compete and stay ahead. The iPhone has managed to make these companies do the darndest things and I just have to stay with the Devil I know, unless it becomes unbearable, but I can't actually see that happening with AT&T, or at east I hope it never gets to unbearable. I try to stay in my Unlimited plan for as long as I can until AT&T pushes me off it. The service is good. The bill is fantastic and the iPhone is supreme in my eyes, so I'm staying.

I wish you luck though imutter. I hope you can stay on AT&T if you really like them.

19. Brandonhacks

Brandonhacks New Member

Here is a problem i have.. I had an unlocked tmobile iPhone, but with the new phone i want to switch to a supported carrier. I was told i may need to put a deposit down because i have no credit(i am 18.) How could i order online if I don't have an account with the carrier I choose?

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I would just go through the Apple website as if you'd buy a 4s and choose all options you want and see what they say .
    Just cancel out the order (don't pay for it)