Best Thing About iOS 10 - Ability to delete Native Apps

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
FINALLY!! We can now decide what apps we want to allow to occupy that most valuable storage space on our iDevices. There are now 23 native apps that we can DELETE from our devices that come pre-installed. I don't have the full list, but I do know it includes things like Calculator, Stocks, Calendar, Mail and Maps are some of the deletables.

I wonder how much space I can reclaim now?!?!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
FINALLY!! We can now decide what apps we want to allow to occupy that most valuable storage space on our iDevices. There are now 23 native apps that we can DELETE from our devices that come pre-installed. I don't have the full list, but I do know it includes things like Calculator, Stocks, Calendar, Mail and Maps are some of the deletables.

I wonder how much space I can reclaim now?!?!
0. You can reclaim 0 bytes of space now.

Per Apple, “Removing built-in iOS apps doesn't free up storage space on your device.”

Apple also claims that the apps “built into iOS are designed to be very space efficient, so all of them together use less than 150MB."

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska

Per Apple, “Removing built-in iOS apps doesn't free up storage space on your device.”

Apple also claims that the apps “built into iOS are designed to be very space efficient, so all of them together use less than 150MB."
That's because the apps aren't really deleted from the phone.
What a bunch of crap. Now I have 2 reasons today to hate Apple.

Nap, you wanna fix my topic title please? Will you anyway please??

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Even on my 16 GB iPhone 6s Plus, I'm not worried about the stock apps now that I know how much space they use up. My Words With Friends app (I know, I know, "That's so 2010!") is using 265.5 MB of "Documents & Data"--now that pisses me off.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington

Not only are they not deleted, other apps that have shortcuts to these apps fail to work. It doesn't bother me too much that I can't reclaim the space that was taken up from these apps, at least I don't have to put them in their own folder or find some place to stuff them in the home screens.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

You can, however, free up several GBs of space by deleting Garage Band, Keynote, Pages and Numbers.
IMG_0101.PNG

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Totally! Are they coming pre-installed on the new phones now? It used to be you had to choose to install them for them to get placed on your phone.
Yes, they were all pre-installed on my 7. They were all on my 6s as well and I deleted them as soon as I got that phone since I don't use any of them.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
One thing I don't like is that I HAVE to have the Mail app despite myself not using it as I use Gmail. I have to have it when I want to respond to Craigslist ads via the app.

I wish we could "Hide/Semi-Delete" Wallet and the Health app.