best time to order 5S for store pickup

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by dinosaur1, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

What time of the day is the best for me to try and order a 5S at my local Apple store? After midnight, in the early a.m....?

2. herekittykitty

herekittykitty New Member

The guy helping me when I picked mine up today said that they stagger it throughout the day, putting up a few at a time at random times, so as to make it harder for resellers.

I don't know if that's true or not, but I did see availability go in and out today as I was stalking mine, so I think there is something to it. I was checking on several models over 15 or so stores (10 of those were further than I was willing to drive, but it was sort of fun to see). I ended up getting mine around 2:30pm local time, and they were in stock for a while after that. I just missed two this morning around 9 and 10:30.

3. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

I went to the Apple store on Saturday early afternoon after I called and was told that they had iPhone 5s for AT&T available. I arrived about 20 minutes later and they were all gone.

Yesterday morning Monday 23rd, I read you could check for availability in the Apple store to pick it up. I was going to the page every 10 minutes or so but there was any. Around 3:20 in the afternoon I checked again and it said they had them at the store. I called and was told they had AT&T and no gold color, my second choice was the silver and they had it. I went to the store and took me about 15 minutes to get it. I had only 3 people ahead of me.

I have to say that I really love it. It is very fast, the touch ID is awesome but what I'm really impress with is the battery life. I set it up and have been playing with it for 6 hours now and say that I still have 50 %. I did star from 100 %. Maybe it is reading wrong because I didn't kill the battery yet but that is what it tells me. I have been making calls, spending time on the web, listening to radio, FaceTime, constantly doing something and it keeps going and going. I need to play with the camera now and see how good it is. I just took a pic from my dog Witney. I hope those of you who order your phone get them soon and star enjoying it, and those who didn't go to the web and check for availability, I'm going to bed without charging my phone : ) ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380005581.542445.jpg

Sent using iCafe app

4. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

Apple.com now says store pickup is not even an option?

5. FFAP1234

FFAP1234 Member
    Bronze

This is the way I did it;
    I went to Apple.com ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380029095.103033.jpg
    Then I clicked on iPhone
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380029187.393527.jpg
    Then I chose iPhone 5s ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380029257.516862.jpg
    Then I chose buy now ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380029343.474471.jpg then I chose the color, model and carrier ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380029402.148518.jpg
    Then under continue there was an option (in small blue color I think) that said check availability, after clicking that will ask you to add your zip code and it would tell you the stores close to you who had them.

I don't know if during the day it changes but after I read this I keep u ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1380029849.048552.jpg checking out until finally I found it available close to me.

Sent using iCafe app

#5 FFAP1234, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I did not cancel my order with Apple. I see that stores in my area had the iPhone 5s Space Gray 64GB for AT&T and I called around between Apple and AT&T to find out about the reissuing of my eligibility once I cancel the order. OMG! I got such the run around. First it would take 7 to 10 days to get the eligibility back then no, that's wrong, it'll take only 72 hours. Then no no no, who told you that? It will only take 24 hours.

I did not cancel my order with Apple. I have talked to four people at Apple and five people at AT&T and the average correct answer was 24 hour waiting period to have my eligibility reinstated so I can buy my iPhone on line and pick it up in the store.

I did not cancel my order with Apple. Last night I decided as I see stock for in store pick up is stable then I would cancel my orders and place the order to receive that illustrious email from the store telling me to come and pick up the iPhones. This is a good plan. I’m satisfied with it so I went to sleep.

I did not cancel my order with Apple. This morning I check the stock for the stores and none of the stores have a speck of an iPhone 5s Slate Gray 64GB for AT&T available. My plan while a good plan, didn't pan out as Apple is playing stock games and I'm out.

Possibly by the end of the week stock will be strong in stores. If it is I will cancel my order with Apple.

However, I'm glad I did not cancel my order with Apple. I will be waiting for the iPhones October 7th through 10th.

7. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I was traveling on launch day. I made it home on the afternoon of the 21st. I was upgrading my wife's line but wanted it switched to my number and swapped with my 5 for her. I checked online inventory a couple of times during the course of the day on the 20th and no one was showing local stock. When I got home on Saturday, I checked my local Best Buy (one of 10 within 50 miles) and found the closest store to me was showing stock on the Space Gray 64 GB AT&T phone I was looking for. Drove over, bought the phone and then made the swap all right in store. It went well but I was there for close to an hour getting everything done, backed up and swapped. Have you tried Best Buy or your local carrier store? I know that the 64GB helped me as they are not the hot sellers but I was surprised to find on mid day on the day after launch right in stock and they had four when I arrived.

I was getting frustrated with doing the whole "eligibility" dance online with Apple just to try to find if a phone was in stock locally. I just gave up and tried a walk-in. I got lucky.

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I haven't tried a carrier store or Best Buy. I don't have a car or a Best Buy near me. So traveling all over the place for the iPhone is out for me. I can go to my local mall or to the city where there are several stores and I can get around. If there is no stock then I'm out and there has been no stock. I live in a heavily populated area too and everything you thought of doing so did everyone with a car. I would never join that dance. I'm trying to get the iPhones the best way i can which is through the in store pick up ordering on line and picking up. Unfortunately I don't have time to drop by and take a chance.

It should be better than this. Apple sucks for the way they handled this. I think their strategy, and this is one, sucks. These things aren't out of their control. This is a very deliberate controled chaos that they have going on here and I don't like being manipulated. Apple. you're already # friggin ONE CUT IT OUT!

Sorry, just venting. This was in no way against you @talon90 Just frustrated with the way this has gone.

9. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Well they sold 9 million so they know what they're doing. On another not yesterday I was just looking on the Apple store app & they had a few available. Today everything is unavailable & in store purchase only.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I know they know what they're doing. LOL! It just hasn't worked in mine or a lot of folks favor. It's frustrating is all.

I'd have to call to see if the iPhone was available for me but the dance I have to play involves cancelling two iPhone orders with Apple and then playing the game a different way where I would most definitely lose. I need to know if there is available stock for me and order and pay on line and pick it up. That's not much to ask I think, but apparently it is.

It seems that I will just be waiting until October 7 through 10th LOL!

More venting.

11. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Vent away, absolutely no issue at all. I would be at least as frustrated. It has been so much better in years past where they just allowed the pre-order and in store pickup. I don't understand why the change. I thought everything worked great in the past. I would pre-order (I've done one of each, Best Buy, At&t online and Apple online) and all worked equally well, had my phones on launch day like everyone else. This trying to find one, can't order online, must purchase in store is crazy.

12. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

If you're done venting, come on back under the tarp and I'll let you play with my temporary 32GB Space Gray for awhile.

Sent using iCafe app

13. rjkgr

rjkgr Member
    Bronze

i believe its all the same... but i think early morning would be best!

14. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

It's funny because yesterday in-store pickup was available but today it's not eligible. It's always hectic every release. People order online, then want to go somewhere & get it, then can't find it etc etc etc. lol

Sent using iCafe app