Best turn-by-turn GPS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by acosmichippo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I know this is an old discussion, so bear with me. I've done a bit of research and am now looking for some more hands-on feedback.

I'm in a new area now, and kinda need a better GPS solution than Google maps or MapQuest. Mapquest was OK back home, but in DC, it is not very accurate at all. The routes it plots are not very pratcical, and it will often get me into the general area of my destination, but not TO my destination. So the main goal is to get something more accurate than MapQuest, and has live traffic updating and locally stored maps. iPhone and iPad compatibility would be a bonus, but not a dealbreaker. Cost isn't a big issue as long as the functionality is there.

AT&T Navigator and TomTom look like my best bets so far - any feedback on those?

2. iP5

iP5 Evangelist
    Gold

I think Benny lives by Navigon.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

The only beef I have with navigon is that its always 200-500 ft short of my destination. Maybe not always but 80% of the time, other than that Ive never had any problems with it.
    Also the entering of addresses could be smoothed out a bit.
    I use the app "around me" to search whatever I'm looking for and it gives you either the google maps or the navigon option, very handy.
    I'm all about the one time fee, if that's what you're looking for then navigon is where it's at.

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I had trouble with Navigon for months. It would shift into some sort of augmented reality mode. When I switched iPhones, it started working and now I'm going to eBay the Garmin 1450 I purchased.

Last time I checked, the prices on Navigon were low $20-$30. I highly recommend it. It's been great, especially living in a new area.

5. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I have navigon and Tom Tom. I like them both but prefer navigon. I like the new look of navigon.
    Tom

6. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I use Motion X Drive. Great app.

~S

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I second/third Navigon, it's very good at what it does. There is a sister app which allows you to search via postal code as well.

In my opinion it's better than TomTom.

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

If I am close to a location I look it up on google maps an look at the list. If I need turn by turn I live by AT&T navigation. Plus AT&T navigation is awesome for finding things. Cheapest gas near your location food by type.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I'm leaning toward AT&T right now if only for the fact that I can try it for a month for only $10.

10. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

I may not use my gps everyday like a pizza delivery guy, but I do use it a lot. Atleast 2-3 times a week. And I have had a tom tom, navagon, and 2 garmins. And let me just say that now I use a telenav. And have since given away my garmin to my son. The telenav gps app that is on my phone now is the best nav app I have ever used thus far. I like the way you don’t have to input the complete address just start typing the addy and the app starts to give you suggestion and they are almost always the one your are looking for. So you don’t even have to have the correct spelling and your address comes up. It also has traffic alerts. And as you come closer to your streets they pop up 3d like so it’s real easy to read while driving.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-by-telenav/id414817704?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

11. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

I have always used the Magellan Roadmate app on my iPhones. Always had great luck with them and it's always worked perfect for me. I use it most everyday on the job.

12. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Ok, AT&T navigator (which is essentially telenav) is horrible. I live really close to an expensive toll road, so pretty much any route I set in ATTN uses it. I will not use that road just because I can't afford to every single day. Even beyond that, I can't seem to figure out how it does traffic updating, and I got caught in a huge jam this morning without it directing me to alternate side roads (which I eventually did on my own with google maps).

I guess I'll try navigon next, but before I bite the bullet, can anyone confirm that I can specify to not use toll roads? If not, it would be useless to me. Live adjustment of the route based on traffic is also a big feature I need. My mom's standalone Tom Tom does both of these, so I imagine at least some of these apps can too.

Apps this expensive really need a trial period of some sort...

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I used it once and it worked.

Attached Files:

14. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

You can set your route anyway you want it under settings>Route. Just like I said before I've only used it once and it worked, usually I just leave it to allow.

Attached Files:

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Awesome, thanks.

Does navigon adjust your route on-the-fly based on traffic?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes, it has a Live Traffic in-app purchase.

17. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Cool. I'll give it a shot then.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I also recommend using it in conjunction with the Around Me app. My only complaint with Navigon is that it doesn't have a built-in search (similar to the Maps app) and the method of inputting addresses. Around Me fixes that because you can use it to search and then tap "Route" and select Navigon. It will then automatically open Navigon (or Tom Tom). The jailbroken app Navigate from Maps is even better (because it plugs into the stock maps app), but Around Me works just fine if you're stock.

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

yeah, but it's 20 bucks. I use INRIX traffic and it's free.
    If you get navigon, get AroundMe like europa said, makes searching for anything way easier.
    Also take a look at "navigon now" for easy address entry.

http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app.html?id=799281&expand=false

20. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone. Haven't given it a proper shakedown yet, but it looks good playing with it at my desk.

That's what she said.