best unlocking method

odysseus

Mar 8, 2008
I read the negative posts here and was a bit surprised.

As I understand it, the problem with ZiPhone/iNdependence and other similar unlocking methods is that they must downgrade the baseband firmware to the version that comes with firmware 1.1.2, and this version of the baseband doesn't support the Google Maps locate me feature. It is possible to avoid downgrading the baseband while SIM unlocking, as long as you have the older bootloader on your phone (version 3.9 instead of 4.6). According to my source, Apple has added additional security checks in the 4.6 bootloader which, in combination with the newer basebands (1.1.3 and 1.1.4), prevents any patching of the baseband for SIM unlock.

What outfits like iPhoneunlockuk.com purport to do is use a custom patched bootloader so that they can write any firmware they want. To my knowledge, this patched bootloader isn't commonly available on the 'net -- if at all.

I'm not an employee or even a customer of iPhoneunlockuk.com -- I just want to make sure that they're really offering what they claim. It doesn't appear that they're just repackaging free software available elsewhere, but I welcome corrections on this point. I'm interested in the best unlocking solution that maintains the complete functionality of my iPhone with 1.1.4 firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
As of now, ZiPhone downgrades the BootLoader from 4.6 to 3.9, so that all SIM unlocking methods work. however, in older versions, ZiPhone downgraded the baseband of 4.6 phones to 04.02.13_G and unlocked it, regardless of what firmware they were going to end up on, 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 (.4 wasn't out). so, now, any iPhone ran through ZiPhone, and clicked Do It all will be unlocked, baseband will be left at current stage, 4.6 phones will have 3.9, and will (of course) be jailbroken.

in answer to your question, use ZiPhone, press Do It All, and you will be fine. congratulations.

have a great day.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
not that I know of. I bought an original, BL 3.9 iPhone, (1.1.1OTB) and have it to this day.. the 4.6 I had to carry around for 2 days didn't make much of a difference.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
The only disadvantage is that your friends will try to make fun of you saying you have a cruddy baseband.

Besides that all I know is that APple changed it so we couldn't unlock but then we found a way to downgrade and bad da bing.