Best way to convert audio files to MP3 for iPod

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I am looking to covert audio files to MP3 for use on the iPod app on my iPhone. What's the best software or process for the conversion?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Can you explain your question a bit better? My iPod plays MP3's so what converting are you talking about?

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
i asked this same question earlier, except i was looking for the best compression method within iTunes to use. Since 1000 songs fills up my whole iPhone, and i was looking through my mp3's and some of them are like 320 bit some are 96 and some are like 192. Is there anything that i can use that's free that will convert them all to 192?

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
and when i try to do it through iTunes i always end up getting an error message, because 1 song wont convert so i have to start all over.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
and when i try to do it through iTunes i always end up getting an error message, because 1 song wont convert so i have to start all over.
In iTunes Preferences, go to the Advanced Tab to get to this page (see attached file).

These are the settings I used to rip an audio book off of CD. You can change the encoding type to MP3. You can also specify the bit rate that meets your file size. :)

Attachments

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
im not ripping it from a cd though i already have the songs on my computer, i think i get an error -50. it comes when it gets to certain songs and i guess it cant convert them, its just annoying when i have to remove the files and then restart the process all over.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
im not ripping it from a cd though i already have the songs on my computer, i think i get an error -50. it comes when it gets to certain songs and i guess it cant convert them, its just annoying when i have to remove the files and then restart the process all over.
Try this link. A little more information related to my earlier post. After you enter the encoder and desired bit rate, go into your music library, highlight the song/songs, then go to the advanced tab, and select convert selection to [desired format]

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93123

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
ok...I have some instructional type Mp3's that I downloaded....their on my windowsxp C disc .
So I go to iTunes file and click 'add file', draw up C and click these files to the pop up box, and the click 'open'.
But these files don't appear anywhere on iTunes subsequent to that...
Its undoubtedly a 'DOH!' moment! but what am I doing wrong?
thank you!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
ok...I have some instructional type Mp3's that I downloaded....their on my windowsxp C disc .
So I go to iTunes file and click 'add file', draw up C and click these files to the pop up box, and the click 'open'.
But these files don't appear anywhere on iTunes subsequent to that...
Its undoubtedly a 'DOH!' moment! but what am I doing wrong?
thank you!
Look in the Music folder under Library. If not there, look under audiobooks, podcasts, etc. When you import into iTunes, are the files being copied into your iTunes music folder. Go to preferences, advanced, general and check. If the files are being imported, they will show up there.

Try these links:

http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/t-164549.html

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6232369

phillyphill39

Bronze
Dec 30, 2007
Try this link. A little more information related to my earlier post. After you enter the encoder and desired bit rate, go into your music library, highlight the song/songs, then go to the advanced tab, and select convert selection to [desired format]

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93123

Aight let me try and clarify maybe we are misunderstand each other i dunno. What im trying to do is convert all of music files as i have over 1,000 to a certain bitrate. Lets say 192, because as of right now all those songs pretty much fills up my whole phone and it shouldnt. And i also want to free up a little space on my computer. So i select my whole music folder, with all of my music in it, and then i go select on the files within iTunes. Then i go to convert to mp3 formate. So it starts converting and then lets say it gets to song number 355. It comes up with an error message, and then i have to start the whole process over. So say i go in a delete, that song. And then i start the process over say it gets to song number 410. Same error message different song, i have to repeat that process. Now i wouldn't mind deleting the song, and then continuing on. But since i have so many songs and i have to remove the files from iTunes and then start from where it left off. Does that help?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
What is the error message you are getting when the conversion process fails?

nikeplayer222

Bronze
Jan 23, 2008
Michigan
along with this. What is the best bit rate for the iPhone. The loudest you can get without being distorted?