Best way to find good apps?

hinky

Bronze
Jul 10, 2009
Guys... amazing thread to help find that Treo/Blackberry replacement for dialing in your contact's info and go... really awesome! So there are probably 60,000 applications out and I know I'm lucky if I get to see 2,000 of them. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that the iTunes applications store is pretty mediocre?

I've been used to using Handango, PocketGear, etc. It's so simple to find top rated applications and navigate, search by criteria, etc. The iTunes store seems to be this incredibly buggy application (why not just in a browser?), it's slow, half the time doesn't respond, and trying to navigate and search and sort is a hassle. Then there is the reviews section which you have to click several times just to see what people said. Is this the same Apple that built the iPhone where it should just be simple?

So what I'm hoping to accomplish in this thread are tips and tricks you use to finding applications in the store. For now it seems the only real practical way has been to search these threads and find other people's lists of their best apps. What are your secrets? Love to know....

Mine - I search for items in shopping cart view. It's the only way I've been able to somewhat navigate (but I hate not being able to open in a new window. Always forward and back, back, etc.)

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I usually start with the number of fart apps, divide by the square root of that number, multiply by forty, then flip a coin. :eek:k:eek:k

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I wish that after you buy the App and are taken to the home screen where the download has begun that you could go back to the same point in the App store. I hate having to start all over again at the top of the list. Especially in categories with a zazillion Apps. Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Hinky,
Get AppMiner (it's FREE we know you hate to pay) I think you will like it. You will never use the stock App Store app again. AppMiner is like the App Store App to the 10th power. Mark