Best Way to iPhone Unlock?

Discussion in 'iPhone Unlock' started by AdamDaieh, Jun 27, 2013.

1. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

What is the best way to iPhone Factory Unlock a phone? Is it a simple task? If not, what is the cheapest service for an iPhone Factory Unlock?

Thanks!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

AT&T iPhone 5: You can buy an IMEI unlock on eBay for about $5. This method is very simple. However, they recently made this illegal again, so it's only legal if the phone was bought before January 26th 2013. You'll have to wait until your contract is up if you aren't eligible for an IMEI unlock. AT&T will unlock it once the contract is fulfilled.

Verzion iPhone 5: They are sold factory unlocked.

Sprint iPhone 5: Have Sprint unlock it.

You can buy factory unlocked GSM models from Apple. They won't work on Sprint or Verizon. But they'll work on AT&T and T-Mobile and most world-wide carriers since nearly all of them outside the US use GSM.

3. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

Thanks Europa!
    I bought a used ATT iPhone 5 off someone and I have been using it fine with ATT (I'm still under contract).
    I need to get it unlocked but ATT won't unlock it for me. Is it because I'm still under contract? But I didn't get the phone from them.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you bought it used, this phone isn't under contract. However, AT&T typically only unlocks phones that they sold under contract, so you might not be able to get them to do it for you. I'd just buy one on eBay. As long as the seller bought it before January 26th, you should be fine. Do you know when they purchased it?

5. AdamDaieh

AdamDaieh Member
    Bronze

I bought it after New year so I think It's okay for me to unlock it. I'm going to check to have it unlock so that I can use it when I travel abroad.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Did you manage to unlock your iPHone? You did it through AT&T USA or through an eBay unlock?

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Are you saying it's difficult to get the IMEI number from the phone provider?
    You can find that in the settings quite easily.
    Settings/ General / About

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This post is over three years old and I post directions for getting an IMEI lock back then, which OP likely did since he was eligible. Why bump it now?

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Because they're a brand new user, who just happened to make 10 posts within a few minutes of each other :barefoot: