Best way to prolong battery life ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by capri, Jan 2, 2012.

1. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

I'll be getting my new I phone 4s in a few weeks time. From what I read this thing if you are lucky can get one day of usage. I'm used to my Nokia and blackberry with 3 days in between charges.
    Then someone pointed out tips to enhance battery life.
    Someone care share what to do to prolong the battery life ? Something to do with antennae, turning off stuff, etc.
    Thanks again in advance.
    Love the fast responses been getting in this forum.

2. JubJubJub

JubJubJub New Member

Turn off bluetooth if you aren't using it, turn off location services in apps that don't need it, limit push notifications and adjust the brightness. I find that no matter what I do, by the end of the day the battery needs to charge. Here is the link to Apple's recommendations:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Sent from my iPhone using iFingers

3. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

i am sure you will love your new iPhone!

Great tips here. I usually charge mine at night regardless. I don't turn off everything as that is one reason I love the iPhone - you will get tips and tricks for your own usage too!

Welc:)me

4. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

Thanks guys. Getting excited.

5. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Jub had some good points. That's pretty much all I've done. Turned a few things off that I don't use, etc...

6. Camitampa

Camitampa Member
    Bronze

If you turn everything off and never make calls and only text a few times a day, your battery should hold a charge for 2 to 3 days, but you'll have an iPaperweight instead of an iPhone.
    Sorry about the sarcasm. Just keep on everything you'll use including wifi and charge the phone every night.
    Isn't that why we purchased them?
    I usually have 30 to 40% left at bedtime and I use my iPhone 4s a lot. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe app

7. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

Turn auto-brightness off. That's a good one.

8. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Both Europa and I have done articles about battery life and getting the most out of it here on EIC.
    Off the top of my head, here's a quick list of things to think about
    1) Brightness - keep it as low as you can, and use auto brightness option
    2) Push - don't use it if you get a lot of email. Get a 3rd party app that uses notifications instead. Push talks too much and will impact battery life
    3) Wifi- Use it when available, turn off auto notify of available networks.
    4) Location Services. This one is more a preference thing, but I only allow location services to access apps that are specifically location based. No games, camera, or anything else.
    5) This one is about general care. top off your battery when charging opportunities are available. Drain the phone every once in a while to reset the battery meter, and reboot the phone every 3-7 days. Make sure that you close webpages that auto-refresh and any apps that can actually run in the background like Pandora. This will make sure that you are not letting anything "slip by" using the charge when you didn't intend for it.

There are a lot of people on here that will argue some of my suggestions, but I average about 6-8 hours of usage a day, and when I connect to my charger at night, I'm usually between 30-40%. I use my phone a lot, and during the day, wifi is not available. I have everything on, and brightness is at about 1/3 of the slider.

9. aaron southgate

aaron southgate New Member

It depends what you use as to how long your battery lasts. Listening to music will run it down pretty quick I find. For sure turning off bluetooth will help if you`re not using it. Also turn ON the Auto brightness as it automatically adjusts in higher light conditions!

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Always have auto brightness on and use wifi when available.

I recommend turning off the battery percentage indicator. If you see it you will fret over it and won't enjoy your phone.

11. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Really? Listening to music is one of the few things I notice a marathon on - if you are using the iPod app. I mean you're supposed to get like 24 hours of listening time from it right off the bat.
    Now if you are streaming, then it would be different, since you are also using a transmission with playback.

12. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Member
    Bronze

I get similar results to Hawk's on my 4 purchased last May using iOS 5. The only time I've run down to 10% during a day is when I've been on the road away from wifi with near constant surfing.

13. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

My thoughts (and experience) exactly. It's just part of my routine to plug it in every night. Why does it seem some people are resistant to that? You gotta sleep sometime...

I leave everything on, use it when I want/for what I want, and just plug in every night. If I forget or use excessively, that's what the car charger is for. Seems simple to me.

14. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

That is the long and short of it, but there are those occasions where there isn't an opportunity to charge, and that is why conditioning is a bit important.

15. psylichon

psylichon Genius

There seems to be some confusion about autobright and its effect on battery. If you spend most of your time indoors, the feature can increase battery life by only lighting the screen as much as you need. If you mostly use your phone outdoors, however, autobright is likely to crank the LCD brightness to a level that will quickly drain your battery. In direct sunlight, moving your brightness from halfway to full blast is barely noticeable as you're seeing much more reflected light from the sun anyway. So if you're going to be outside a lot, turn autobright off and set the brightness to a useable level.

16. Hawk

Hawk Genius
    Gold

Good Tip Dave@!

17. bams50

bams50 Contributor
    Bronze

I wondered about this too. When I listen to streaming radio, that eats up battery pretty fast; but if I listen to the music in the iPod, it will run all day plus. The recorded music seems to take very, very little power.

I don't recall where, but I know many times when I've seen battery capacity quoted they usually show talk time, standby time, and music playing time. Whatever numbers are quoted, the music time is WAAY longer than anything but standby; in fact, it's not much less than standby!

I do know that when I played the iPod on my 3gs while mowing the lawn for about an hour and 15 minutes it hardly used any battery. Got the 4s too late to make a similar comparison.

18. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the helpful tips. Will follow as adviced.
    No plans to listen to music.
    Mostly calls, sms, and email.
    How does push mail work ? i also have a blackberry phone were i do most of my emails, but it would be great to do emails in the iPhone as well.
    Hope my iPhone 4S gets here soon.

19. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

can't wait to hear how you like your new iPhone! When is it expected

20. capri

capri Member
    Bronze

its going to be a good few weeks wait.
    should be cool! i now use Nokia and blackberry (2 numbers).
    I plan to replace Nokia with iPhone & retain the blackberry.
    I love my bb phone.