Best way to repair scratches on screen?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fbg

Aug 6, 2007
Part of the draw for the iPhone for me is how slim it is. So I don't use a case as I carry it in my front pocket. Works great. Much better than my treo. Unfortuanately, I already have a couple of scratches on the screen.

Does anyone have ideas on the best way to repair these? I haven't done anything yet.

Thanks in advance for any help. Love the phone!

J

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Part of the draw for the iPhone for me is how slim it is. So I don't use a case as I carry it in my front pocket. Works great. Much better than my treo. Unfortuanately, I already have a couple of scratches on the screen.

Does anyone have ideas on the best way to repair these? I haven't done anything yet.

Thanks in advance for any help. Love the phone!

J

Wow what are you carrying in your pockets? A product called Applesauce supposedly corrects minor scratches in ipods but they have different screens than iPhone. If I were you I would do two things:

1.) Avoid using a scratch remover product until someone confirms they are iPhone friendly.
2.) Stop storing your phone in your pocket. Obviously something is wrong where you are getting scratches as myself and others have done this with absolutely no scratches.

fbg

Aug 6, 2007
Wow what are you carrying in your pockets? A product called Applesauce supposedly corrects minor scratches in ipods but they have different screens than iPhone. If I were you I would do two things:

1.) Avoid using a scratch remover product until someone confirms they are iPhone friendly.
2.) Stop storing your phone in your pocket. Obviously something is wrong where you are getting scratches as myself and others have done this with absolutely no scratches.

Nothing crazy in the pockets. A pen and and my money with moneyclip. Nothing sharp.

I was pretty surprised (and disappointed) at the scratches as I'd heard the screen was very scratch resistant. Not the case for me.

mach1mustang_101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
my iPhone also has a pretty good gash in it. the key on the screen i can highly doubt that really is true. unless he used a non sharp tip of the screen. this phone is very easy to scratch

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Nothing crazy in the pockets. A pen and and my money with moneyclip. Nothing sharp.

I was pretty surprised (and disappointed) at the scratches as I'd heard the screen was very scratch resistant. Not the case for me.
Pen, change and a money clip? Yeah, that might be your problem. Obviously the screen didn't scratch itself so it's one of these items or the combination thereof that's causing you problems.

I carry my phone in my left front pocket and put all my other trash in my right front pocket - nothing is in the pocket with the phone... not even change.

fbg

Aug 6, 2007
Pen, change and a money clip? Yeah, that might be your problem. Obviously the screen didn't scratch itself so it's one of these items or the combination thereof that's causing you problems.

I carry my phone in my left front pocket and put all my other trash in my right front pocket - nothing is in the pocket with the phone... not even change.

Hi tharm,

No change but just pen and money clip. Yes, obviously it didn't scratch itself. I think I can work it out where everything goes in the other pocket.

That wasn't the impression I got from the Apple store though as they were super quick to show the pcworld video about how durable it was standing up to key scratches and such http://youtube.com/watch?v=0XKtI9WhoOU

But lesson learned. My question now is if anyone knows the best way to repair or minimize scratches on the screen. Much thanks.

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
i already have a few scratches on my phone I wish there was a truly flaw resistant phone I don't know of any way to fix the scatches on the glass

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
I've got swirls and scratches on all my phones. That's just part of carrying them everywhere we go.
Guys! Put a plastic film on the screen like, the Crystal screen film. When the plastic film gets scratched, you just put another one on! That way your screen never gets scratched!

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Guys! Put a plastic film on the screen like, the Crystal screen film. When the plastic film gets scratched, you just put another one on! That way your screen never gets scratched!
exactly! thats what i do
i got my iPhone the first night it came out, didn't put anything on it til a week later
NO CASES. just a crystal static clinger you can buy from Apple. it protects the screen from scratches, dirts and fingerprints
at home i put it on a PSP soft sleeve( i used to have a psp)
and i bring it with me everywhere i go, put it in my jean pocket ALONE, and nothing else in it, screen facing in. and til now i don't even have a small scratch, looks brand new :p:p

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
The greatest iPhone protector ever!

get an Invisible Shield from www.shieldzone.com

I have one of these on EVERY piece of electronics I own.

It is crystal clear film that goes on the product. For most products they carry a FUll Body case to cover the front, back and sides of the device.

I have the Full Body Shield on my iPhone so the WHOLE THING is protected.

This is film designed for the US Armed Forces. They even use it to cover the helicopter blades in the Armed Forces. It is 100% scratch, tear and rip proof.

It also has a Lifetime Guarantee! Plus it doesn't increase the size of the iPhone so it is still super slim and can fit in the same cases/skins as it did already.

My iPhone Full Body Shield was 24.95. They also carry the Applesauce Polish that works great on iPods don't know if it will work on the iPhone or not though.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
I've used this on my blackberry's and also on the iPhone....http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet/the-69/iphone-Total-Body-Skin/Detail.

You can get Full Body Skin for $8.00 compared to other product mentioned for $24. It takes some patience to apply and get positioned perfectly but once on these things are awesome. Keeps the sleekness of the phone yet prevents minor dings/scratches from normal wear and tear

There is a BIG difference between that screen and the Invisible Shield. Here is just one difference taken from their own websites:
BESTSKIN: "Q. Are the Best Skins Ever scratch proof?
A. Almost. Best Skins Ever have a forgiving, almost self-healing characteristic. They're not scratch proof but they're a lot less prone to scratching than the screens on today's small electronics. To our knowledge there isn't a product on the market that claims to be scratch proof"

They have NO guarantee!

INVISIBLE SHIELD: "Q: Lifetime Warranty & 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee
A: The invisibleSHIELD is so tough, we guarantee it for the life of your electronic gadget. Unlike other screen protectors where you must purchase many protectors over time, the invisibleSHIELD is guaranteed to last! If it ever scratches or peels off, we will replace it, for FREE, for LIFE!
On top of the Lifetime Warranty, we also offer a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. If you are not convinced that the invisibleSHIELD is the best protector in 30 days, simply for a full refund of the product"

Also you have to create a mixture to put on your device and shield to apply the BESTSKIN while the INVISIBLE SHIELD provides a pre-mixed solution in a spray bottle.

There really is a big difference.

goherd90

Jul 5, 2007
There is a BIG difference between that screen and the Invisible Shield. Here is just one difference taken from their own websites:
BESTSKIN: "Q. Are the Best Skins Ever scratch proof?
A. Almost. Best Skins Ever have a forgiving, almost self-healing characteristic. They're not scratch proof but they're a lot less prone to scratching than the screens on today's small electronics. To our knowledge there isn't a product on the market that claims to be scratch proof"

They have NO guarantee!

INVISIBLE SHIELD: "Q: Lifetime Warranty & 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee
A: The invisibleSHIELD is so tough, we guarantee it for the life of your electronic gadget. Unlike other screen protectors where you must purchase many protectors over time, the invisibleSHIELD is guaranteed to last! If it ever scratches or peels off, we will replace it, for FREE, for LIFE!
On top of the Lifetime Warranty, we also offer a 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee. If you are not convinced that the invisibleSHIELD is the best protector in 30 days, simply for a full refund of the product"

Also you have to create a mixture to put on your device and shield to apply the BESTSKIN while the INVISIBLE SHIELD provides a pre-mixed solution in a spray bottle.

There really is a big difference.
Still not sure if there really is a BIG DIFFERENCE as I've never used the invisibleSHIELD to actually compare. Keep in mind you're PAYING for that lifetime warranty (3x as much). I am not wanting to debate that the product you use is not a great product but for the money I can buy 3 best skins full body skins for the price of the invisibleshield. I can only state from my experience with best skins. I had the original on my BB for 12 months and it worked great......

As far as mixing a solution....all you have to do is place a drop of dishwashing soap into some warm water, drop the skin in the solution and apply.

Both are probably great products that I am sure members would love either way?

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
I've been thinking about getting one of the super thin full-body covers.

Are any of them available for sale at an Apple store? or will i have to order them online?

thanks.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've been thinking about getting one of the super thin full-body covers.

Are any of them available for sale at an Apple store? or will i have to order them online?

thanks.
I didn't see any of the full body skins. But they do have the Crystal film shield for the screen--I like that product for the screen.

I use the Crystal film on the screen, and a Best Skins Ever for the rest. Great combo.

Regarding the invisibleSHIELD Vs. BSE, I don't think there is much difference in the material, or at least not enough to matter to me for the back and sides. Again, I use Crystal film for the screen. But there is one thing that invisibleSHIELD offers that BSE does not: tiny patches for the corners. BSE kinda leaves the corners exposed, and odds are that's exactly where the iPhone will land in fall. Had I realized this before I (accidentally) threw away the BSE screen protector I might have been able to cut out some of my own.

I might actually have ordered the invisiblySHIELD but after reading this I decided against it:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/the-ultimate-skin-guide-for-iphone.5348/

Says in that thread that it doesn't cover the chrome on the front. Not sure now whether that is true or not. I ignored the tackiness comments since I knew I wouldn't use any of them for the screen (and for the body a little added tackiness was welcome, it adds needed grip IMO).

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
It is true that the invisible shield does not cover the chrome around the front glass.

It is not true however that the film, once taken off, leaves a tackiness or residue on the phone. It comes off clean as a whistle.

Also, there is increased tackiness to the outside of the phone. I can lay my phone on my dashboard or armrest while I ride around and it goes nowhere.

And yes the invisible shield does include little teardrop pieces that fit perfectly on the corners.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It is true that the invisible shield does not cover the chrome around the front glass.

It is not true however that the film, once taken off, leaves a tackiness or residue on the phone. It comes off clean as a whistle.

Also, there is increased tackiness to the outside of the phone. I can lay my phone on my dashboard or armrest while I ride around and it goes nowhere.
I don't think anyone was talking about residue--nothing I've read indicated any of the skins leave anything behind that can't be cleaned up 100%.

The tackiness was regarding the feel of the skin once it is on. I like the added grip on the body of my iPhone, but didn't want it on my screen. That's why I went with Crystal film for the screen. Works for me.

--
Mike

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
there was another post somewhere else that metioned there being a "mess" left on the phone once taken off.

There have also been posts referring to the issue of a screen protector interfering with the touchscreen usage.

Have any of you experienced that? I have not.