Best way to rip DVD's to iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I have a Mac and I use a program called HandBrake. Its free and I just rip a DVD down to a smaller size (somewhere around 480x200 or something) and it makes most movies around 600k-1gig depending on the movie then drag it into iTunes and sync and poof! Its in the phone. Worked great to watch 2 movies on a plane from Boston to San Fran.

I think they have a windows version but I've heard it doesn't work as well. I use my Mac to sync with the iPhone so i haven't tried it yet.

RchGrav

Bronze
Jun 8, 2007
So, what is the best way to rip DVDs to your computer and then transfer it over to your iPhone?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
If you are loking for a commecial program that does a good job check out http://www.cucusoft.com. The reason I like this program is that when it converts a movie that is Widescreen 16x9 or Cinemascope 2.35:1 it doesn't leave the black bars at the top and the bottom of the video file. The reason you wouldn't want the black bars, it that because if they are there you can't zoom the video in properly. I tried all of the free programs, and a few pay ones also before settling on this one. If you buy the DVD conversion program you can upgrade to the Ultimate version for another $10 or $15 bucks which will allow you to also convert DIVX files, and output to a bunch of other formats and resolutions as well.

I would recommend you try a few and see what you are happy with. Try the free stuff first, then if you want something better with more options, download some trials of commercial programs.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I tried handbrake last week. Its very non-intuitive and the moderator on the board got very pissy when someone asked how to use it. He said he wouldn't "spoonfeed" anyone directions. I haven't really figured it out yet, so I may try the cucusoft solution. The guy at handbrake was really rude to the person trying to figure it out. I didn't try posting anything after reading that. It may be a good product, but I may never know for sure!

Shirazik

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Irvine, CA
So I'm looking at cucusoft's website and it looks like it's $29.99. Is that the cheapest price on the internet or can you buy this in store?

Haha this might be the first software I will buy since...well, forever.:p

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
So I'm looking at cucusoft's website and it looks like it's $29.99. Is that the cheapest price on the internet or can you buy this in store?

Haha this might be the first software I've bought in so long:p
No, you can't buy it in store, only online. You should download it from my website (see my signature)

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
I used DVDmovile as well from Slysoft. Just make sure you get anyDVD with it as well. Lifetime updates if you purchase a key from them. One of the best buys Ive made far as DVD software.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I tried handbrake last week. Its very non-intuitive and the moderator on the board got very pissy when someone asked how to use it. He said he wouldn't "spoonfeed" anyone directions. I haven't really figured it out yet, so I may try the cucusoft solution. The guy at handbrake was really rude to the person trying to figure it out. I didn't try posting anything after reading that. It may be a good product, but I may never know for sure!
Must be the moderator at Handbrake's board. I certainly didn't say those things.

I agree with some of what's been said in this thread, Handbrake is great for Mac...probably better solutions albeit paid for Windows.

-Chris

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
I tested out handbrake last night I thought it worked well. I had a copy of "the good shepard in my possession. I turned it into an .ISO using DVD shrink and then opened the ISO on handbrake and it took about 6 hours to convert to mp4 but when I woke up this morning I had a movie in iPod format. It isn't anything special but it did do the job. If you want a simple tutorial email me at skinsgamerlive at hotmail .com

Mojo701

Aug 7, 2007
DVD's to iPhone

I found that dvd decrypter and videora iPhone converter work well for windows users. You do have to adjust some settings but after that the process takes about two hours to complete.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I found that dvd decrypter and videora iPhone converter work well for windows users. You do have to adjust some settings but after that the process takes about two hours to complete.
And you call this working good?!?
I use Cucusoft and I don't have to change any setting at all and it convert a movie in 1/2 time of the movie.

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
I have DVD decrypter but I only use it for burning .iso to DVDs. Elaborate how do you use it cause I was looking at videora earlier but it said the files had to be in .avi, ect. not DVD format so I didn't think it seemed practical.

Mojo701

Aug 7, 2007
I have DVD decrypter but I only use it for burning .iso to DVDs. Elaborate how do you use it cause I was looking at videora earlier but it said the files had to be in .avi, ect. not DVD format so I didn't think it seemed practical.

There are several tutorials reference this procedure. Just do a search and you should find one of them. I could go into detail but again there are so many post already on this. If you continue to have problems let me know

skrads

Aug 14, 2007
VisualHub

I use VisualHub (http://visualhub.net), it works great and has both Apple TV and iPhone H264 encoding capability. It's also fast on an intel core duo. For iPhone, I choose "WiFi" quality and conserve a lot of space with good quality.
Check it out.

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
And you call this working good?!?
I use Cucusoft and I don't have to change any setting at all and it convert a movie in 1/2 time of the movie.
But isn't the speed of the convert related to the speed of the Computer and not the speed of the program? So a faster PC will obviously RIP a DVD faster then a slow one.

I use Handbrake on my MacBook and it takes under a hour (I think as I don't remember the last time I used it) I also see the size to be under 600MB, doesn't look quite as good as leaving it full size, but nothing looks as good as watching a movie on the old HD TV, so I don't mind so much.