Best way to set up kids iPad mini 2's

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by Jdsmitty10, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I bought my kids iPad mini 2's for Christmas and plan on having them set up with a bunch of learning apps before I wrap them up for Christmas morning. What would be the best/easiest way to download apps and install them on all three? Should I set up 3 different iTunes accounts?(I will be in charge of downloading apps etc since they are younger.) Should I make them their own iTunes accounts or use the same one for all three(is that even possible?). They will eventually obviously download different apps for different ages/genders but as new I want to have some apps ready for them. Thanks in advance!

Sent using iCafe app

2. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I would, a do, use the same iTunes account for all of our idevices (mine, wife & kids). However, in order for them to use iMessage and FaceTime, they have to have their own Apple ID.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I recommend using one iTunes account for all three devices so you can share apps. I would just use your existing iTunes account so everyone in your family can share movies and apps. You can log into this in the App Store app on each device. You don't have to install every downloaded song, app, movie on every device, but you will have the option to if you want to.

I highly recommend setting up individual iCloud accounts for each person. This will become increasing important as they get older and will each want their own messages, bookmarks, contacts, etc. Additionally, everyone will get their own 5 GB of storage rather than having to share it. You can use the same Apple ID for iCloud and the App Store, but I do not recommend this for anyone other than single people. There is no benefit to sharing an iCloud account with family members aside from simplifying the login to one account on each device. The only drawback to having a separate iTunes and iCloud account (two logins on each device) is well worth all the benefits you gain from separating them. You can set up each iCloud account from the device itself.

4. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Ok so if I went in on my phone and made each of them children's accounts under family sharing is that making them separate iTunes accounts or just iCloud accounts? If using same iTunes account as I always had I would jist sign in on each iPad with my iTunes Sign in? Doesn't family sharing make sharing apps possible?

Sent using iCafe app

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think you have to set up the Apple ID for each of them first and then invite them. Family Sharing is another method that will work just as well as what I've mentioned. The main thing is you don't want all of them using your Apple ID for iTunes and the App Store AND for iCloud. They can either have their own Apple IDs and Family Sharing to share apps or your Apple ID for iTunes and their own iCloud accounts. Either way is fine. You just don't want to have everyone on the same iCloud account since you then have to share backup space, messages, notes, etc.

6. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

Ok thanks.

Sent using iCafe app