Best windows program to sync contacts (I got a phone)

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
OK I picked up an iPhone today and will work on syncing my contacts with the phone this evening. I use a CRM called Act 2000 and I know I'll need to use an intermediate program to sync contacts. I'm on XP Home SP2 and have access only to Outlook Express (legally). If I want to 'break the rules' and run the risk of bumping into MS "Office Genuine Advantage" I could install a version of Outlook 2003.

I am interested in assigning a photo to the contacts on my PC so that when it syncs, the pictures will transfer. I understand that this will display only thumbnails and thats OK. For Family and Friends, I'll go back and add photos manually to get a full screen.

What are my best choices for an intermediate program that will allow a delimited import?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Bit of a dodgy, clumsy workaround suggestion - but you could use the online, open source MyFunambol contacts sync. You could install Outlook as a 'trial', use the Funambol Outlook plugin to grab your contacts from Outlook one time(I don't think it does .csv or other imports), and then uninstall Outlook to keep WGA at bay. On the iPhone there are native and web apps for MyFunambol contacts sync. So once you get it synced once, you shouldn't need Outlook in the equation anymore.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
OK I picked up an iPhone today and will work on syncing my contacts with the phone this evening. I use a CRM called Act 2000 and I know I'll need to use an intermediate program to sync contacts. I'm on XP Home SP2 and have access only to Outlook Express (legally). If I want to 'break the rules' and run the risk of bumping into MS "Office Genuine Advantage" I could install a version of Outlook 2003.

I am interested in assigning a photo to the contacts on my PC so that when it syncs, the pictures will transfer. I understand that this will display only thumbnails and thats OK. For Family and Friends, I'll go back and add photos manually to get a full screen.

What are my best choices for an intermediate program that will allow a delimited import?
I've been using Outlook Express. No problem whatsoever. I had to make Groups with OE so I could have groups on the iPhone, and it worked fine.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
A couple questions, how does iPhone make use of the groups you create with OE? Also, it does not look like OE supports the addition of photos with the contacts.

I'm thinking that as I add new contacts in Act, I'll periodically 'dump' them into my intermediate program (OE in this case). I can then assign photos to the contacts manually. However when I sync the phone and send an update won't any photos I've manually assigned (on the phone) lose any photos associated with them?

By the way, I want to say thanks to everyone here, this one of the most friendly places I visit.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
A couple questions, how does iPhone make use of the groups you create with OE? Also, it does not look like OE supports the addition of photos with the contacts.

I'm thinking that as I add new contacts in Act, I'll periodically 'dump' them into my intermediate program (OE in this case). I can then assign photos to the contacts manually. However when I sync the phone and send an update won't any photos I've manually assigned (on the phone) lose any photos associated with them?

By the way, I want to say thanks to everyone here, this one of the most friendly places I visit.
Do you mean photos to be used as caller IDs? If so, they will remain on your iPhone after a sync. Mine have remained on my iPhone even after I delete the original picture from the library.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Do you mean photos to be used as caller IDs? If so, they will remain on your iPhone after a sync. Mine have remained on my iPhone even after I delete the original picture from the library.
Yeah, that's what I want. Since OE doesn't have a provision for a photo ID like 2003 or 2007, I'd have to add the IDs on the phone manually. I'm going to sync over 700 contacts and I'd hate to go through the trouble to add the photos and then have them wiped out when the next (one way) sync happens. I'd imagine it would be easier to add the contacts on the PC if I had the program (2003 or 2007) to do so.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Well I've got a intermediate address book set up in OE and the fields are mapped as good as I can with the limited number of fields provided. I'm about ready to plug the phone into the socket and to my upgrade.

Earlier today I upgraded one of my lines to a new 2 year and picked up a free phone (Razr) as a back up. My number is now ported to this phone and I'm guessing that when I plug the iPhone in, the number will migrate to the new phone rendering the SIM on the Razr useless. Any additional tips before I plug everything in?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Well I've got a intermediate address book set up in OE and the fields are mapped as good as I can with the limited number of fields provided. I'm about ready to plug the phone into the socket and to my upgrade.

Earlier today I upgraded one of my lines to a new 2 year and picked up a free phone (Razr) as a back up. My number is now ported to this phone and I'm guessing that when I plug the iPhone in, the number will migrate to the new phone rendering the SIM on the Razr useless. Any additional tips before I plug everything in?
nope, good luck!;)

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I also believe you can use the Windows Address book to sync with. I haven't synced on a Windows PC without Outlook in while but I seem to remember that option around somewhere.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I also believe you can use the Windows Address book to sync with. I haven't synced on a Windows PC without Outlook in while but I seem to remember that option around somewhere.

That's what I use. And it's free with windows.... I have Outlook 2000 but that's not good enough... Apparently I would have to upgrade to a more recent version.

Upgrade = more money

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
That's what I use. And it's free with windows.... I have Outlook 2000 but that's not good enough... Apparently I would have to upgrade to a more recent version.

Upgrade = more money
I'm in the same situation. I have 2000 but don't want to buy 2003 or 2007 JUST to do syncing. I'll never use as my e-mail client or for my contacts. I ended up using OE6 and it works for the most part. There are limited fields to map to so some data gets left behind.