Best Word Processor for iPad/iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rootntootn, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Hi! I've had such good luck with you guys' advice before, I've got another question:

I've been using Docs to Go for years, even back on the Palm Treo, and liked it fairly well. It has a decent file management/folder system. And when the cloud came it integrates well with the excellent file management system of DropBox and Google Drive.

But in trying to move past the use of a harddrive-tied computer (I love my 32 GB iPad 3 with a Zagg folio case and BT keyboard!) and work in the cloud for large storage, I've still needed to print documents. Air print has been great, but Docs to Go still just doesn't implement it.

That's left Quick Office and Pages that air fairly well-featured word processors and store in some cloud. But, does iCloud have the full-featured file management of Drop Box or Google Drive (move files from one folder to another, create new/rename/delete folders, etc that any good OS's file management allows?)

And problems have come as Quick Office's new version only mates up with Google Drive; it used to work great with Drop Box, but that's over. I've already got a large Drop Box Drive and I also have a subscription to iCloud space. I don't want to pay additionally for Google Drive, or try to move all the files I have residing in Drop box over to Google Drive (don't even know how to do that efficiently) after renting a big Google Drive space, then close my Drop Box account.

So, what I want/need is a pretty good word processor on the iPad that 1. stores to the cloud, preferably Drop Box; 2. the cloud service it uses has a full-featured file/folder management system; and, 3. the word processor works with AirPrint.

Your advice?

Thanks!

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Quickoffice Pro HD for iPad is really nice. It makes editing and syncing Office documents with DropBox a piece of cake. It was $20 when I bought it a couple years ago, but it was worth it.

3. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Sure, with QO pro HD I had integration with DB. But after an upgrade (I believe that was when), QO no longer allows it. When I quick the '+' sign in the lower left corner, I just get the permission to add a Google Drive account:

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1384230473.886113.jpg

that's why QO is a problem for me now; since April google bought QO and won't support other clouds' use.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I sold my iPad a couple months ago, so I can't test it.

5. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I, like you, use the docs to go product with Dropbox everyday. I'm not sure about AirPrint with this setup. What's lacking with your docs to go?

Sent from iPhone 5 using iCafe app

6. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Docs to go allows you to open the file in another app. So, say I've got a file ready to print with airprint. I can open the file (written in docs to go) into Quick Office Then airprint it from QO. It's cludgy; you can't print directly to AirPrint from Docs to Go (that I can ascertain).

So that's why I'm looking for the The Word Processor App. Pages would be the one except 1. I don't know how to move all my dropbox files over into iCloud (same prob with Google Drive), and 2. I don't think (but am not sure) iCloud allows us to do all the file management tasks that any body with a lot of doc files in a bunch of folders need to do to actively manage them. Ah, the beauty of Drop Box!