Beta 3.1 expired

tinted1

Nov 1, 2007
i have been using 3.1 beta that has now expired cant restore can't find new beta please help:(:(

Jul 4, 2009
Don't use beta software on the iPhone. It will stop working when your not near a computer, and you will get pissed!
There is a way to revert back, do a search on it, wait for the official version, unless you really are a developer, then just download the newer beta 3. (They only last about a week, then you gotta get the new one.)

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Won't restore as new phone revert it back to 3.0? Yes you'll lose any data that's not backed up but...

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Don't use beta software on the iPhone. It will stop working when your not near a computer, and you will get pissed!
There is a way to revert back, do a search on it, wait for the official version, unless you really are a developer, then just download the newer beta 3. (They only last about a week, then you gotta get the new one.)

The information above regarding the beta not working when you are not near a computer is not true. Betas are distributed to the developers and are active until the newer beta is released by Apple. Apple email the developers to let them know that a new beta is available for download.

~S

Jul 4, 2009
The information above regarding the beta not working when you are not near a computer is not true. Betas are distributed to the developers and are active until the newer beta is released by Apple. Apple email the developers to let them know that a new beta is available for download.

~S
I am sorry, the way that I typed that it didn't come out right. I did not mean that it would stop working when you leave the computer. I ment to say that when it stops working and your not near a computer to download the next one, you will get upset about it. It stops working when they release the new one, which could happen anytime, and if you don't take it to the computer to do the update to the next one... They do not email me, never got an email regarding that. I've been through about 7 to 8 of these, no emails. It just happens, and after a while you get used to it.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
I am sorry, the way that I typed that it didn't come out right. I did not mean that it would stop working when you leave the computer. I ment to say that when it stops working and your not near a computer to download the next one, you will get upset about it. It stops working when they release the new one, which could happen anytime, and if you don't take it to the computer to do the update to the next one... They do not email me, never got an email regarding that. I've been through about 7 to 8 of these, no emails. It just happens, and after a while you get used to it.
Yes and No....They do email the developer that has signed up with Apple's Developer Program. However, if you are listed on another developers account as a beta tester then you will not get an email from Apple. You may get an email from the developer you are listed under, if said developer is kind enough to provide you with links to IPSW's that he/she has uploaded to a file sharing server. If your developer does not provide you with links, you then have to resort to other download locations which can be difficult to find. If you are a registered developer with Apple and you are not getting email from Apple informing you of a new beta release, check your developer account settings to verify your email address is correct. In the 3.0 beta days, my developer did not send me links to the firmware updates and I had to use torrternative means to get my files. ;)

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I am a developer and they never sent me the email to update. The same goes for other devs from what I read on the devforums. It seems that this time around not everyone got the email.

Jul 4, 2009
Yes and No....They do email the developer that has signed up with Apple's Developer Program. However, if you are listed on another developers account as a beta tester then you will not get an email from Apple. You may get an email from the developer you are listed under, if said developer is kind enough to provide you with links to IPSW's that he/she has uploaded to a file sharing server. If your developer does not provide you with links, you then have to resort to other download locations which can be difficult to find. If you are a registered developer with Apple and you are not getting email from Apple informing you of a new beta release, check your developer account settings to verify your email address is correct. In the 3.0 beta days, my developer did not send me links to the firmware updates and I had to use torrternative means to get my files. ;)
No, I get all my other emails, I am the developer, I checked the settings, it's fine. I get about an 20 to 30 emails a month from them, so they have my email address. It's just for the beta releases that I do not get any warning, just suddenly the phone doesn't work properly any more, so that's how I find out.

Kuntry

Bronze
Mar 26, 2009
Las Vegas
I stand corrected. iphun- did you get email notifications from Apple for previous beta releases?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I stand corrected. iphun- did you get email notifications from Apple for previous beta releases?
Don't worry about it ;) Yep every other beta release I got an email informing me that the beta was available. For 3.1 beta 2 it read:
Subject - "iPhone SDK 3.1 beta 2 is now available"
Body - "iPhone SDK 3.1 beta 2 and iPhone OS 3.1 beta 2 are now available on the iPhone Dev Center..." and so on with a link.
I don't understand why they didn't send emails this time especially when they gave such little time to update. Beta 2 expired tuesday July 28th at 12am and when I checked the dev site (for some odd reason I was compelled to go there) around 5-6pm, beta 3 was there and I was a little surprised. The next thing I did was check my email wondering why I didn't get any notification of it and I never did get the email. And I'm not the only one who didn't get an email so something got messed up with their notification system.