Beta 3 Features & Bugs

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
one thing I noticed and I think this is related to beta 4 in general (for me at least) is that I am unable to connect to my Verizon FIOS router anymore. I can connect fine to unprotected wifi and have no problem with my Mom's Airport Extreme (which has a password) but when I try my Verizon wifi, it finds the router but states "Unavle to Connect" after I put in the WEP code......

Any thoughts?
~S
Turn the router into G-only mode

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Well spell check has been there since beta 1, but for beta 3 they seemed to have changed the font of the popup menu to blue.
Makes sense. That way you can differentiate it from the cut/copy/paste menu.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
You don't need the SDK to run the beta on your iPhone, but without the corresponding SDK iTunes won't backup your phone completely.
I have the SDK for beta 2 using beta 3 and it backs up fine unlike when I didn't have the SDK in beta 1 where it didn't back up.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I have the SDK for beta 2 using beta 3 and it backs up fine unlike when I didn't have the SDK in beta 1 where it didn't back up.
It seems that it could possibly have enough support that you wouldn't need to update to the beta 3 SDK but I'm not taking any chances. Everyone who doesn't need the SDK won't have to deal with finding and downloading it for much longer. They will most likely release a new beta iTunes version soon which will add full support, better than any of the SDK's. iTunes is much smaller than the SDK and won't add anything to your computer you won't be using anyway. They will need to make sure everything works correctly and without any problems with 4.0 support before it goes to the public along with the 4.0 release. I believe with 3.0 we saw an iTunes beta with OS beta 4, not that they will do the same as they did with 3.0 but I am sure we will see it with beta 4 or 5.

chris5468

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Springfield,il
You know it would be nice if they added a separate password for the messages app. Some of my friends say they want to play a game or just make a phone call but then when they were done they'd find the need to look at my text messages.

You know it would be nice if they added a separate password for the messages app. Some of my friends say they want to play a game or just make a phone call but then when they were done they'd find the need to look at my text messages.
I guess you'll have to supervise your friends use of your iPhone, or better yet, dump some of your friends or at least let them know that they aren't welcome to use your stuff. That kind of behavior is rude and shouldn't be tolerated. Then again, maybe I'm just intolerant.

Kathie63

Bronze
Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
On my Hubby's 3g with the 4.0 beta 3 whenever he tries to go into his photos the Apple comes up like if he was rebooting.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
When you are playing something like video or audio the popup menu where the play, rewind and ffwd buttons are, instead of the iPod app being to the right of them, it shows the icon of whatever app you are in. This only works for stock apps like photos, youtube, safari, camera, messages, and probably a few more which I haven't tested. I am sure this will be extended to 3rd party apps like pandora and will show the pandora icon when the app is in the background to show you it is running and is where the audio is coming from.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
One feature I found is when receiving notifications. It used to replace if you had a text or a call notification with another one (Facebook, etc.) Now you can press the unlock twice so you lock and bring the screen back on, it will take the apps notifications away and show you if you have texts or missed calls. I don't know if I made any sense.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
One feature I found is when receiving notifications. It used to replace if you had a text or a call notification with another one (Facebook, etc.) Now you can press the unlock twice so you lock and bring the screen back on, it will take the apps notifications away and show you if you have texts or missed calls. I don't know if I made any sense.
It did a little. Can you make a video of this. I'm really interested to see how that works.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
Ok, lets say you have a text message on the lock screen. If you receive a notification, say from Facebook, that notification will take over the lockscreen and you won't be able to see the text that was there before. With beta 3, I hit the lock/unlock button twice and it shows me the text again. Gets rid of the notification from Facebook.