Beta 4 -A2dp Bluetooth Stereo Review

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Just wondering what other people's experience has been? I know allot of people are dying to have this and anxiously awaiting for this update alone. My experience since Beta 1 is that Apple is doing a sweet job working on this profile. Each beta update seems to get better and better in regards to bluetooth stereo. Anyhow, Beta 4 has brought the most enhancements. Things that are improved is the ability to launch other apps. while streaming music without interruptions in playback. That's nice at the gym when I am using a workout app. at the same time. Another improvement that I have not seen on any other bluetooth a2dp phone is the play/pause functionality. Usually I have to press play/pause once to activate the AVRCP profile on my headset after pairing and then subsequently I have AVRCP capability. Somehow Apple managed to eliminate that step and the first time I press pause it works. That is incredible seeing how nobody else has gotten rid of that frustration. I mean everybody from Nokia, Sony Ericsson, and Microsoft. Hopefully the forward/rewind functionality comes in the next beta! The other improvement with AVRCP that nobody has done so well is the delay from when I press pause. All the other phones take 1.5 seconds before the music would pause after pressing button on the headset. This latest update Apple did something to shorten it to less than 1/2 a second. Incredible! All of these improvements combined with the UI when using A2dp(like getting rid of the volume bar) and the iPod make the iPhone a hot bluetooth stereo phone. Something tells me these performance improvements are for good reason because Apple has a bluetooth headset stereo in the line-up?

evrock

Mar 26, 2009
Thats great news. I'm looking into getting a bluetooth stereo in my car so I was curious how well the bluetooth streaming actually worked. Is the sound quality good with no static, skips, or interruptions? Sometimes my bluetooth earpiece for phone calls kinda skips and jumps so I am hoping that this doesn't happen with the music streaming. Right now I have an fm transmitter and I'm gettin a little fed up with static so A2dp Bluetooth sounds like the only way to go

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I've been using the A2DP on the iPhone with a S9 headset since beta 3 came out. Beta 3 was spotty but beta 4 is awesome. I usually keep the phone on my side in it's case and listen to music almost all day while working. The play and pause is key and works really well.

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Bluetooth streaming quality is very good. Depending on your headset and pickiness a2dp isn't as good as wired . I mean the quality is really good but will be as good as a $400 pair of shure headphones. At the other end is the Bluetooth headset and while the Moto S9 is excellent they are not in-ear buds so ambient noise interferes with the quality. The S9's are the best for any physical activity I also own a pair of Moto HT820 and the quality on those are incredible. Covers your whole ear and blocks ambient noise plus a good quality bass. Every headset will differ and those are the only ones I have tried. Streaming to a car stereo you probably won't notice any difference and compared to a FM transmitter it is way better.

shatou

Apr 3, 2009
Ok, just would like to know, is the bluetooth signal strong?..I would like to put my phone in pocket and get no interruption...yes, i know it's not only about the phone but also with the headset (BTW, S9 by moto sucks in this point)...but also, a strong bluetooth signal will be perfect!...

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah your right the Moto S9 does suck with signal. I heard the new Moto S9 HD added better signal
and may upgrade if that is true and Apple does not announce a new headset next June. But regarding the iPhone Bluetooth signal I would have to give it a 4 out of 5 now on signal strength. I have gone to the gym and worked out without interruption in signal with phone in my pocket and s9's. Last night I walked out of the room and into another room probably 30 feet away and did not lose signal till I got 30 feet and probably had 2 to 3 walls between me. Also, I am still testing but it seems I get a better signal after I do a reset of the phone to clear memory. Not for certain yet and Beta 3 i seemed to do it more but hardly with Beta 4.

shatou

Apr 3, 2009
I have gone to the gym and worked out without interruption in signal with phone in my pocket and s9's.
That's amazing!...the S9 sucks even with Moto phones...
Wishing to have AVRCP for iPhone soon...
Thank you :)

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Yeah it is truly an awesome experience when they work so well. I was more impressed that I could pull the phone out of my pocket, fire up the application iFitness,make some workout notes and keep the app. open the rest of the workout without a skip in the beat or loss of quality the whole time. I remember at the 3.0 announcement they also announced being able to build applications with iPod support in the program. That will be the icing on the cake!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I've never had any issues with my S9's, though I understand it's bluetooth so I'm not trying to listen to a phone that's 50ft away. If I have the phone in my pocket or in it's hip case and I have the headphones on, I haven't had a single issue even when I was sitting next to a laptop that was on wireless.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Why would Apple not include support for the AVRCP? Im glad to hear the A2DP is working well, but it really is a half assed implementation. I don't think I know of any other smartphone that has A2DP but not AVRCP. It appears from this macworld article that the omission is official.

http://www.macworld.com/article/141187/2009/06/iPhone_3.html?lsrc=top_1

"Unfortunately, the iPhone 3.0 software doesn’t provide support for Bluetooth’s Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), which allows a Bluetooth accessory to control media playback. This means that if you connect Bluetooth wireless headphones that include playback buttons, only the Play/Pause button will work; you won’t be able to skip or scan tracks or otherwise browse media content."