Beta 4 - Sound Issues

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Anyone else finding that Beta 4 has more sound / audio issues than the previous betas? I know there have been some through all these 3.0 betas, but I'm finding more of this in beta 4, and do not know the common denominator just yet.

I've found that MLB At Bat and some voice notes apps and even some games play audio without issues, but many other games won't do any sound at all, and one game (3 Point Skills Challenge) plays its launch sounds, but then nothing in-game.

Some of the games I'm seeing that will not produce any sound (even after a restart and launch with no other apps having been run): Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Flick NBA Basketball, Jeopardy, Word Fu ...

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
To be fair, those are all third-party apps besides Voice Notes and are not meant to be included as candidates for troubleshooting fixes for this beta unless you are testing under that respective developer of the game. Those games have all been designed to work under the current official 2.2.1 firmware, not the 3.0 beta, so naturally there will be issues with external apps until the developers of them consciously update them to work with 3.0. The fact that they worked on previous beta versions are purely coincidental and this is the main reason why they urge testers and developers not to use their primary phone for testing. Heck, I wish my GalagaREMIX game worked without bugging out the screen since I paid $6 for it but I understand that it was merely luck that it worked in 3.0 beta 3. I think I will email the developer about it, though.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Actually, they're all 3rd party apps - as I was referring to 3rd party voice notes apps, not Apple's offering.

And yeah, I understand all that about the betas. I was not intending this post as a 'Hey Apple fix this' type post at all - or even a thread to discuss the general expectations one should have when using beta software.

I'm just asking those who have been running the betas what their experience is on this subject, and whether maybe they've seen anything different to me.

Also, the bit about 'naturally there will be issues ...' has not proven true with a huge %age of apps under the 3.0 betas. The vast majority have run just fine for me, and lots of others. That's why this issue is interesting to me.

Are you running one of the 3.0 betas?

toothdoc

Jan 27, 2009
sound probs yes

My iPhone is worse for what i use it for a lot. The sound issue. If im in my car and place a call over bluetooth it starts the ipod and music and the other party are competing for the speaker. It was great on 2 and 3, but 4 is bad in this regard.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I understand now, patrickj.

Like I posted in another thread, I can't necessarily say beta 3 is worse than beta 4 or vice versa. They both have their issues but as to which issue is worse than the other, that can be viewed differently from each person. As a whole I think beta 4 is generally more stable than the preceding betas.

As a side note, I did email the developer of GalagaREMIX, which is Namco, I believe. I actually received a response back that they will work to fix those issues for when 3.0 is officially released. At least they're aware of issues now.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I understand now, patrickj.

Like I posted in another thread, I can't necessarily say beta 3 is worse than beta 4 or vice versa. They both have their issues but as to which issue is worse than the other, that can be viewed differently from each person. As a whole I think beta 4 is generally more stable than the preceding betas.

As a side note, I did email the developer of GalagaREMIX, which is Namco, I believe. I actually received a response back that they will work to fix those issues for when 3.0 is officially released. At least they're aware of issues now.
I feel like Beta 4 is a bit zippier and a bit more stable than the previous ones as well. It's only in the area of sound that I'm seeing poor and inconsistent performance.