Beta 5 is out, worth installing?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
About a million bug fixes, according to all of the changelogs. Based on the calendar and supposed new iPhones, the final can't be that far away. I plan on updating today, just haven't found time yet. I'm not sure what's new from beta 4 to beta 5.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Jack, here's a rundown of what's new in iOS 8 beta 5. Nothing earth shattering. Again, I think it's the bug fixes and stability that's of more importance at this stage.

Last edited:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Thanks Chris. I only went as far as beta 2 before the bugs bit me too hard. So beta 5 will probably be great in comparison. I've installed it, just waiting for my apps to sync.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks Chris. I only went as far as beta 2 before the bugs bit me too hard. So beta 5 will probably be great in comparison. I've installed it, just waiting for my apps to sync.
Yeah, it's been an awfully buggy year. I've had Safari crash entirely too much, often on hand-offs from Facebook or Twitter – which is pretty common for my usage, so very annoying. Such is beta and life with beta. Here's to hoping beta 5 is much improved. Let me know how it works out for you.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I'm hoping this Beta is better too. I leave for vacation tomorrow. So I think I am going to wait until I get back next to load it. I may try it on my iPad first though.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I did an OTA at work yesterday evening when I saw that it was out, it caused my 5S to go into a boot loop. When I got home I tried to do a fresh restore to iOS 8 beta 5 and I kept getting the error that the version was wrong. I restored to 7.1.2 last night and I am going to try again today and see what happens.

Funny thing was my iPad when is a 3rd gen, no problems what so ever.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Installed, both iPhone 5s and iPad 3rd Gen working. Actually made and received a call from the iPad. Can't get the SMS Relay working properly, it will receive but it will not send.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The only problem I have is that in notification center when I see my day at a glance, the weather is gone. No option to add it.
Works fine for me on beta 5. Try this:

Settings > NC > NCWeather > On

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Weather > On

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
The iPad is connected to the iPhone through Your home wifi and is really using the phone to make the calls. It's one of the handoff features.