Beta 5 or Golden Master

cdelauz

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Will we be seeing beta 5 tonight or the Golden master? Today marks the 2 week period Apple releases the beta updates. Do you think Apple will just wait until next week at the WWDC to just announce the Golden Master?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
At this point since the next release will be the last, I bet it will be later this week. It could pop up today but I think that is less likely. Last year they released the beta 5 and at WWCC released the GM with the same build number and no noticeable difference. It all depends on how solid the final beta is for it to turn into a GM and be able to carry that title. I also bet we will get a new iTunes with beta 5.

Yes there has to be a new iTunes soon so syncing works properly alone on top of the many other changes. It would be great to be able to sync folders and make folders on iTunes rather than just the phone. I think it is awful late in the day for us to get a beta today. From what I have seen in the past, it is released before now.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I wonder when they will include in-app SMS. It has been missing from all the betas and is one of the new features of 4.0.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I wonder when they will include in-app SMS. It has been missing from all the betas and is one of the new features of 4.0.
I'm pretty sure that needs to be supported at the application level... so until the 4.0 apps are released (which they won't be until the firmware is officially released), you won't be able to test this feature unless you're a developer working on an app that uses it.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm pretty sure that needs to be supported at the application level... so until the 4.0 apps are released (which they won't be until the firmware is officially released), you won't be able to test this feature unless you're a developer working on an app that uses it.
I don't get why not just implement a solution like biteSMS has for in-app SMS? I mean, that doesn't require each application to support it.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
In-app SMS simply allows an app to send a text without invoking the SMS app... it's not meant for replying to SMS from anywhere like BiteSMS is. They have different intended uses.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What I mean is, I don't think Apple is intending in-app SMS to serve the same purpose as BiteSMS, and for their purposes, it makes more sense for it to be an application-side inclusion. Most apps don't need to send SMS.

You want a system-level instant SMS anywhere. This is not what Apple is giving us.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
What I mean is, I don't think Apple is intending in-app SMS to serve the same purpose as BiteSMS, and for their purposes, it makes more sense for it to be an application-side inclusion. Most apps don't need to send SMS.

You want a system-level instant SMS anywhere. This is not what Apple is giving us.
I get what you're saying but holy crap, why not, Apple?! We all know it takes Apple forever to include features that should've been there since V1, but seriously...

Jun 8, 2009
Maybe tonight...... I keep trying to log on to the dev site and I get the We'll be back soon it's 8:10 central time here...... So maybe tonight for beta 5?

Jun 8, 2009
still down for me.... the iPhone dev one is the one down

jlhollander

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
personally, i don't think they are going to release any more beta's. It will probably be a GM version for dev's two or three days before announcement, or on announcement day. Just like last year. The dev's got it early, and the public release was on keynote day. Then the phone came out ten days later. Just saying...

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Just curious if anyone thinks that a GM will be coming here soon? I forget from last year, did Apple release 3.0 right after Job's keynote?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
That's my recollection.