[BETA] AVPlayer.app - plays your downloaded music and video without a server

kariya9mdoa

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52077

AVPlayer.app **This was PreviewVideo.app
Plays various system-supported A/V formats.
audio, video, seeqpod, mxtube, torrent, mp4, m4v, 3gp, mp3

INSTALLER SOURCE: http:// i h a c k s . u s/a27.xml - in A27 DevTeam category

You need MobileFinder installed to use this program

Setup Your Associations
In Finder:Settings> down to the File Association section, add any of these:
(you can add one at a time, restarting Finder between additions)

for Video______________
mp4:com.system.avplayer
m4v:com.system.avplayer
3gp:com.system.avplayer

for Audio______________
mp3:com.system.avplayer
aif:com.system.avplayer

...and others

You can double-tap an associated file from Finder to play it
The application icon loads the previously played clip.
Use the Home key to quit the player

HappyModding

Last edited by a moderator:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Thanks for this, works like a charm. A27 has some cool apps, I just wish they were a little friendlier, lol.

I've played files downloaded from MXTube, as well as files from my iTunes folder. Played back a DRM'd Tim&Eric Awesome Show (Great Job!) episode as well, so this looks like my new best friend to compliment the Safari DL plugin.

kariya9mdoa

Bronze
Oct 26, 2007
Ok i downloaded this when i got home but it doesn't work do i need to set permissions. when i went to the setting there was nothing in there relating to mp3 or videos etc. If anyone could help thanks.

HappyModding

mstx

Jan 10, 2008
Same here when i downloaded and i press on AVPlayer.app it always crash out to home , i downloaded MobileFinder and i reboot my iPhone same its crashing!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Thanks for this, works like a charm. A27 has some cool apps, I just wish they were a little friendlier, lol.

I've played files downloaded from MXTube, as well as files from my iTunes folder. Played back a DRM'd Tim&Eric Awesome Show (Great Job!) episode as well, so this looks like my new best friend to compliment the Safari DL plugin.
I'd love to still have the DL plugin. But isn't it only compatible with 1.11 and 1.12?

- John

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'd love to still have the DL plugin. But isn't it only compatible with 1.11 and 1.12?

- John
The 1.1.2 version actually still works in 1.1.4. Your downloads still go to the root folder though, but you can just symlink to your mobile folder to make things easier.

I'm using a modified version which adds a progress bar to the download, as well as the ability to rename the file if you want. I've not seen this version on Installer at all, so I'll probably put it up on my repo tonight since it takes setting the right permissions on a few folders to get everything working.

Since Downloading from Safari is my "new thing" I actually cobbled together an Unzip app called Peelr. It checks the Download folder in var/root and sends the extracted files to /var/mobile/Peelr. If you download a zip through iShare, just place it in the Peelr folder to get unzipped. I have no clue how to make a GUI, so this "app" is just to save you time typing in the terminal basically. I'm going to put peelr and the SafariDL program up tonight on the Fight Club.

Here's the icon I made for Peelr :)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Ok i downloaded this when i got home but it doesn't work do i need to set permissions. when i went to the setting there was nothing in there relating to mp3 or videos etc. If anyone could help thanks.

HappyModding
You shouldn't have to set any permissions, Installer does this for you already.

If you launch the app on its own, it will just close. Theres no built in file browser, so you need to use Mobile Finder to locate the files you want to play back. You'll have to tell Mobile Finder what program to use to open up the files, just add the stuff in your quoted post from ipodtouchfans. Its all there, except you might also want to add m4a to your list.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
The 1.1.2 version actually still works in 1.1.4. Your downloads still go to the root folder though, but you can just symlink to your mobile folder to make things easier.

I'm using a modified version which adds a progress bar to the download, as well as the ability to rename the file if you want. I've not seen this version on Installer at all, so I'll probably put it up on my repo tonight since it takes setting the right permissions on a few folders to get everything working.

Since Downloading from Safari is my "new thing" I actually cobbled together an Unzip app called Peelr. It checks the Download folder in var/root and sends the extracted files to /var/mobile/Peelr. If you download a zip through iShare, just place it in the Peelr folder to get unzipped. I have no clue how to make a GUI, so this "app" is just to save you time typing in the terminal basically. I'm going to put peelr and the SafariDL program up tonight on the Fight Club.

Here's the icon I made for Peelr :)

x999x,
The progress bar version was the same one I used back on 1.1.2 too. But since being on 1.1.4, I couldn't get that version to work with BossPref's add on (which allows the ability to toggle on/off Safari DL plugin). So I'm currently using the old version of Safari DL Plugin. Does your modified version work with BossPrefs?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
x999x,
The progress bar version was the same one I used back on 1.1.2 too. But since being on 1.1.4, I couldn't get that version to work with BossPref's add on (which allows the ability to toggle on/off Safari DL plugin). So I'm currently using the old version of Safari DL Plugin. Does your modified version work with BossPrefs?
Yes, it does.

The "new" version doesn't work for you because I'm guessing that you might not have set the permissions on your quicktime plugin folder to 777 recursively.

Bossprefs needs to add an enable/disable plist in there, and for some strange reason it won't work with the cleaner version of SafariDL without the proper permissions.

Don't forget to restart your phone, (red slider), for the changes to take affect.

BTW - Its this version that I'll be hosting on my repo. Its a hack of a hack of a hack basically once I get done with it. It was written by Hachu, hacked by John Singh for better performance, and hacked by me for 1.1.4 compliance :p

amiroo79

Bronze
Nov 3, 2007
Southern California
I tried to set the file permissions in mobilefinder but they don't stay.
I enter them, then hit "Return" on the keyboard and it goes in. But, when I come back to it, I don't see it in the list.

Any ideas?

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
You shouldn't have to set any permissions, Installer does this for you already.

If you launch the app on its own, it will just close. Theres no built in file browser, so you need to use Mobile Finder to locate the files you want to play back. You'll have to tell Mobile Finder what program to use to open up the files, just add the stuff in your quoted post from ipodtouchfans. Its all there, except you might also want to add m4a to your list.
if I could please ask a naive question, what do you designate in MF to open up a download? For example a PDF etc..when I request 'open with' I don't see a program that'd do anything?!
thank for your answer...and patience!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm so close to getting this all to work. I downloaded some mp3's off seeqpod using SafariDL. I set up the associations in MobileFinder for all file types listed in the original post. But when I double click the mp3s, it just goes up one directory.

Edit: Turn on "System File Access" in MobileFinder if you run into ^^^that problem. It will make the double-tap work.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Can you describe the process for setting up a symlink using WinSCP? I'm tired of jumping around between root and mobile directories.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Can you describe the process for setting up a symlink using WinSCP? I'm tired of jumping around between root and mobile directories.
Sorry for the late reply here, I didn't notice the quote until now.

Anyway, to make the symbolic link its pretty straight forward as follows:

ln -s Location TargetLocation

So if I would like to create a symlink that points to var/root/Downloads from my mobile directory I'd make the following command from WinSCPs little terminal window:

ln -s /var/root/Downloads /var/mobile/Downloads

Now heres the catch, lets say you already have a Downloads folder in var/mobile, what happens is the Symlink will be created inside that folder and basically not work, /var/mobile/Downloads/Downloads. Other than that, its pretty simple stuff.

You can delete the Symlink just like a normal folder through WinSCP or Mobile Finder without worry of also deleting the host directory. The host directory whill stay put as it should.

Apr 26, 2008
seriously i need help

u know thos things you have to type to use the avplayer ex... mp3:com.system.avplayer well i accidentally deleted one of the other ones that was listed before i edited it and now i cant view the media anymore on avplayer so can anyone tell me the original file associations of a video you downloaded id rather do this manually than to do a whole restart on my ipod... THANKS!

mook2420

May 6, 2008
Bug? Or probaby affected by something else I installed?

EDIT* Fixed by using advise from the MobileFinder Issue report google thing...
{Deleted ~/Library/Preferences/com.googlecode.mobilefinder. It willreset MobileFinder to defaults.}
Did that for avplayer too and now I am not having the stupid repeat play issue!

Hmm, anyone else with 1.1.4 having an issue where AVPlayer only plays the same clip over and over even if I am opening other files in Finder? Every .mp4 I open plays only the last video played. And so I tried uninstalling MobileFinder and AVPlayer and re-installing and that didn't work. I deleted the MobileFinder folder in /var/mobile/Library/ and the MobileStudio folder there as well, are there any other files associated with MobileFinder or AVPlayer I can seek out and destroy to re-enable this great combination to work again? I am also confused why we cannot use the iClarified MobileFinder app that apparently has permission fixes in the install? I don't know but if I have their official version installed and try to install Avplayer it says MobileFinder isn't installed. I tried to do pretty much everything I can think of now... But yeah I guess I am the only one having this unending repeat video problem...

-Micah