Beta testers leaving bad reviews on apps that are not iOS 7 compatible

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
yes, you only get one review per app. If you go to review the same app twice, your old review will show up for you to update.
Thanks. I've never left a review so I wasn't sure.
I don't think the problem is so much the written reviews as the star ratings. Granted, I do take them with a grain of salt, but generally if I find a couple similar apps, I'll try the higher-rated one first.

This is why allowing developer responses will be a waste of time, in my opinion. Writing out a response is all well and good, but if it doesn't cause the user to change their star rating, it doesn't matter. Furthermore, it's quite a tedious task to make devs read through all their bad reviews and reply to them. I just don't see it actually being done on a scale that would change anything.

The real issue is that the betas are way too easy for laypeople to install, although I'm not sure what the solution to that is...
That's a really good point. I rarely read the reviews, but I usually look at the stars and take them into consideration.

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
I don't think the problem is so much the written reviews as the star ratings.
I am pretty sure that is why the default setting is to see the stars & reviews for the current version. This is so the developer can fix the problem and not have a bad version kill his ratings.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
What about allowing developers to respond to reviews? If a customer wrote a bad review, they could respond directly regarding an issue. In most cases, they could respond with: " iOS 7 is in beta and is intended for developers only. When iOS 7 is available to the public, an update will be released that is 100% compatible with iOS 7."

I guess that solves the bad reviews to some extent, but the damage to ratings would still be irreversible.
I'm not sure this would be the best idea. Then the reviews page becomes a new avenue that the developers have to respond to--another support vector. The developers for whom these reviews hurt most don't have the resources to go through and respond to these guys to save face.

Then again, I guess they could just do like they do on the Play store reviews. Copy and paste the same response on all the bad reviews.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm not sure this would be the best idea. Then the reviews page becomes a new avenue that the developers have to respond to--another support vector. The developers for whom these reviews hurt most don't have the resources to go through and respond to these guys to save face.

Then again, I guess they could just do like they do on the Play store reviews. Copy and paste the same response on all the bad reviews.
Just throwing out ideas. I do agree with you and others who have convinced me that it wouldn't have any real benefit or impact. It could also be a burden for developers who could face criticism if they didn't respond. If they copied and pasted, people would start to ignore those as well.

The heart of problem is allowing non-developers access to developer software. If Apple wanted to accomplish this, they could put in controls to stop it. Although I'm not sure how much they benefit from regular users running iOS 7. I'm guessing most of which aren't filing radar reports. Maybe a fair share of diagnostics gets sent back to Apple that is useful. Not sure.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
Stop anyone with a developer account from writing reviews during the development period, no? Real devs wouldn't be concerned about someone else's apps being buggy or reviewing an app during this time, since they'd be busy developing and all. For a couple months it may be a little inconvenient if you REALLY REALLY do need to leave a bad review, but I think that would be the best solution. I think it would discourage more than a few people from logging out, logging in with a different name(possibly having to create a new account to do so), downloading the app again and then leaving a bad review. If it's a good app the few idiots that are willing to waste that time won't hurt the rating much.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Stop anyone with a developer account from writing reviews during the development period, no? Real devs wouldn't be concerned about someone else's apps being buggy or reviewing an app during this time, since they'd be busy developing and all. For a couple months it may be a little inconvenient if you REALLY REALLY do need to leave a bad review, but I think that would be the best solution. I think it would discourage more than a few people from logging out, logging in with a different name(possibly having to create a new account to do so), downloading the app again and then leaving a bad review. If it's a good app the few idiots that are willing to waste that time won't hurt the rating much.
Not everyone installing the beta even has a developer account - they've got a UDID registered on somebody else's.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think the problem is developers. They understand better than anyone that apps by other developers aren't always going to work properly on betas. Each developer gets 100 slots they can give away or sell. Also, beta 1 (as well as future OTA updates) could be installed without even registering this year. It's too easy to install it and many of the people who do so don't seem to understand that it's a beta and will thereforee have lots of bugs and app incompatibility problems.

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
Not everyone installing the beta even has a developer account - they've got a UDID registered on somebody else's.
I meant every device tied to a developer account will not be able to review. My bad I should have made that clearer.

I don't think the problem is developers. They understand better than anyone that apps by other developers aren't always going to work properly on betas. Each developer gets 100 slots they can give away or sell. Also, beta 1 (as well as future OTA updates) could be installed without even registering this year. It's too easy to install it and many of the people who do so don't seem to understand that it's a beta and will thereforee have lots of bugs and app incompatibility problems.
I thought we were talking about the future where things like non registered UDID's being able to install the beta would be addressed. Obviously that was a huge glitch, and a rarity at that. I understand it's getting easier and easier to register an UDID now a days, that's why you tie it to all active devices on developers accounts. But what you are saying is basically if there isn't a fix to address the issue 100% you aren't satisfied,I get it. There's always going to be that one guy determined to get past the system no matter what. I think reducing the number of bad ratings and reviews due to things like this would is a start though.

Jan 16, 2009
I know there is some watchdog type scanning the reviews for impropriety, why can't they just selectively remove negative comments deriving from app usage on betas? It's an inappropriate review because they are using the app out of publicized specifications.

I am by no means a professional phone or software developer, but I have been beta testing for fun since Windows 98. I'm joining this beta late in the game, I know, but I'm actually quite impressed with how my apps are holding up. The only one that cannot function is BECU, my bank's app. Pandora glitched one time, but came right back. Cozi is working beautifully, as are all the integrated functions I depend on, like my calendar and basic telephone and texting. I'm happy with this, especially for it being a beta!

Sent using iCafe app

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I meant every device tied to a developer account will not be able to review. My bad I should have made that clearer.
That might take care of a lot of it, but then again...
Wouldn't help. They'd just use their computers.
Some people are determined to smear a company, even if all they've done wrong is be the unfortunate victim of an uncontrollable variable in a new version of the OS causing their app to flip a bit in the wrong order and crash.

Skype's forums blew up with a thread about Skype not working on iOS 7 beta. It's as if these people's firstborn babies are being taken from them and shot or something. The sense of entitlement is so thick in there I could cut it with the edge of an HTC One

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
That might take care of a lot of it, but then again...

Some people are determined to smear a company, even if all they've done wrong is be the unfortunate victim of an uncontrollable variable in a new version of the OS causing their app to flip a bit in the wrong order and crash.

Skype's forums blew up with a thread about Skype not working on iOS 7 beta. It's as if these people's firstborn babies are being taken from them and shot or something. The sense of entitlement is so thick in there I could cut it with the edge of an HTC One
I did a test call on beta 4 and Skype seems to work now.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wrote an article on this topic this morning. Hope it can further the discussion.

Last edited: