Better Call Saul [Warning: Spoilers]

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I've been meaning to post an opinion of mine regarding this show on this thread for a while now, but I'm afraid it may be met with disapproval. Again, I'm only posting MY opinion, so please do not hit me too hard with Disagrees and Dislikes!

The show seems to be progressing at a very slow place during the past three or four episodes. The humorous scenes that seemed ever-present in the first few episodes have greatly diminished—in fact, they're all but gone—the thing with Jimmy not having enough parking stickers for Mike Ehrmantraut to let him through, Jimmy's interactions with the Korean ladies at the manicure and pedicure salon, the guys that Jimmy defended after they desecreated corpses… Even that speaking toilet bowl! Of course, I'm not saying to keep on doing the same scenes over and over—there's only so many times that parking sticker thing can be funny, and Jimmy no longer has his office at the manicure and pedicure salon, but why aren't they coming up with humorous scenes that would be relevant to the show's latest developments?

I will say, however, that I very much enjoyed the character played by Mark Proksch in the most recent episode. I feel he was perfectly cast for that part. I was a huge fan of his character Nate on The Office, and his performance on Better Call Saul did not disappoint!

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I've been meaning to post an opinion of mine regarding this show on this thread for a while now, but I'm afraid it may be met with disapproval. Again, I'm only posting MY opinion, so please do not hit me too hard with Disagrees and Dislikes!

The show seems to be progressing at a very slow place during the past three or four episodes. The humorous scenes that seemed ever-present in the first few episodes have greatly diminished—in fact, they're all but gone—the thing with Jimmy not having enough parking stickers for Mike Ehrmantraut to let him through, Jimmy's interactions with the Korean ladies at the manicure and pedicure salon, the guys that Jimmy defended after they desecreated corpses… Even that speaking toilet bowl! Of course, I'm not saying to keep on doing the same scenes over and over—there's only so many times that parking sticker thing can be funny, and Jimmy no longer has his office at the manicure and pedicure salon, but why aren't they coming up with humorous scenes that would be relevant to the show's latest developments?

I will say, however, that I very much enjoyed the character played by Mark Proksch in the most recent episode. I feel he was perfectly cast for that part. I was a huge fan of his character Nate on The Office, and his performance on Better Call Saul did not disappoint!
I like the pacing. I believe that the last few episodes have been more serious because they're pointing Jimmy in the direction that turns him into the lawyer that Walter White knows. Jimmy so earnestly wants to be a good lawyer, but no one seems to want to give him that chance. It can't be all laughs and giggles.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It can't be all laughs and giggles.
It's funny you used that specific sentence. On Facebook, I made a very similar comment to my friend earlier this week before watching this past Monday's episode ("Pimento")—see the screenshot below.

However, that Pimento episode turned out to be a lackluster, half-baked, nay, quarter-baked episode for me, and I went back and replied to my earlier comment on Facebook and compared the general downward trend of the series (again, my humble opinion only) to the quality of a recent flight of an airplane flown by one Mr. Harrison Ford, and we all know how that ended.

In the screenshot below, the comments by "Rafael" are mine.

I suppose the show may end up being a late bloomer and Season 2 will be better. I'm certainly not giving up on it yet.

Another reason why some of us feel less than satisfied with Better Call Saul might be that Breaking Bad set the bar really high, and now we have unreasonably high expectations for Better Call Saul simply because Vince Gilligan is also one of the creators of this show.

BCS_names_redacted_copy.png

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
However, that Pimento episode turned out to be a lackluster, half-baked, nay, quarter-baked episode for me
I loved that episode. It shows Jimmy being pushed in the direction of the type of lawyer he became in Breaking Bad. Great episode.

Yeah, the funny scenes are cute and all, but I like substance, and that episode provided it.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Shocked that @Rafagon didn't like this episode. I thought it was TV at its absolute best. The development of Saul's character has been exceptional. All season we've watched Saul expose his vulnerabilities and at the same time, care for Chuck. The betrayal was epic and you could feel the pain of the character. From the looks of it, it'll send Saul spiraling back to being Slick Jimmy.

I'm glad that Mike is a big part of the show.

I was looking forward to this show, but didn't have high expectations. I think it's amazing. Seriously one of the best shows on television.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I believe that may have been my problem—high expectations. However, during the first two or three episodes, they were certainly met. Somewhere around the fourth or fifth episode, I found myself watching the show while noticing a somewhat less-than-stimulating experience. Hopefully I will adjust accordinly and enjoy upcoming episodes a little more. I don't think the show is bad… it's like War and Peace. It's a great work, you just need to be open to extremely detailed, in-depth character development. Sometimes that comes in the form of dialogue, and not every line will be something that's quote-worthy. Patience will be key—for me, anyhow.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Shocked that @Rafagon didn't like this episode. I thought it was TV at its absolute best. The development of Saul's character has been exceptional. All season we've watched Saul expose his vulnerabilities and at the same time, care for Chuck. The betrayal was epic and you could feel the pain of the character. From the looks of it, it'll send Saul spiraling back to being Slick Jimmy.

I'm glad that Mike is a big part of the show.

I was looking forward to this show, but didn't have high expectations. I think it's amazing. Seriously one of the best shows on television.
Preach on, brother!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
"The spinoff of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul will have its Season 2 episodes streamed on Netflix beginning on February 16, 2016 right after its season premiere on AMC. Instead of featuring the whole Season 2 in one sitting the way it normally does to its other TV series, Netflix will just stream a new episode of Better Call Saul per week, details Crossmap."

More over at Master Herald.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
——SPOILERS!——

That 7+ month montage at the beginning was amazing. It really got to me, particularly the fade out at the end. I really don’t want to see Kim go, but it looks like it’s going to be soon.

Gus stalling Hector’s rehab the moment he saw his cognitive function improvement was so brutal. He has him right where he wants him stay.