Better Power Management and signal with 1.1.4

Rockky

Bronze
Aug 8, 2007
I DO agree with your power observations although the bar display/signal strength ratio can be manipulated,I think, for better perceptions of power consumption.

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
I always hear this when an update happens and don't notice that much of a difference but I did this time... I was flying through web pages today on edge.... I was on eic a lot wed morning and felt like I was on wifi... One problem though with 5 hours of use by the end of the day my phone died and turn off... I had my first loss of power since I owned the iPhone... but that is because I was using it so much (5 hours mostly on eic) lol

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I noticed that Edge was down here in Philly for almost an hour on Tuesday. Unrelated perhaps, but draw your own conclusions.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I noticed that Edge was down here in Philly for almost an hour on Tuesday. Unrelated perhaps, but draw your own conclusions.
what do you mean? do you not get edge in philly? I want to know because i'm going to school in philly next year...

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
iman its philly they have it.. and if you are going to choose education over edge service your nuts I hope you are trying to be funny
fyi its Lman...i need to get that changed haha

And i'm confused, are you saying i shouldn't choose education over edge service :)? I would say go to upenn and screw the iPhone if it was one or the other...though it would be a difficult loss for me :oops:. And lets be honest here, if the service was shitty i'd still keep the iPhone...its my baby.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I just upgraded to 1.1.4 yesterday. I though after a few hours that battery life was much better, but we always want to think this after an update. I am watching it today and so far it seems to be the case. The only thing I can say for signal strength is that in my house in the lower lever where we spend most of the time, I have gone from 3 bars to 4.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Speaking of Philly I can't believe they actually approved filming the show "Parking Wars." I've spent a lot of time in Philly and liked it a lot. But that show, IMO, makes the city look like they are money-hungry antagonists.

Sorry about the OT...

As for signal strength, I'd say about the same, maybe slightly improved. EDGE seemed a little better though, but that could be the placebo effect.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I do think the find me in maps is more accurate now. My ring is smaller.
This, I definitely have noticed. And ironically I happened to try the locate function right before updating to 1.1.4. In 1.1.3 the circle covered half my city, and my location was far from the center--about 4 miles away. But on 1.1.4 the circle is much smaller, and my location is pretty darn close to the center (about 1/4 mile away).

--
Mike

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Last night I went back to the exact parking spot in a medical center where I first tried the 'locate' function in maps. That time, on 1.1.3, I repeatedly was 'placed' about two blocks away from my actual location. Now, with 1.1.4, it was dead on.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Speaking of Philly I can't believe they actually approved filming the show "Parking Wars."
I'm not privy to the show you mention, though I can imagine what it's about. Interestingly, I just heard on the radio yesterday that no one should pay their parking tickets in Philly because meters have apparently ripped off thousands of law-abiding people. Who knows... we'll see...

But regarding Edge coverage in Philly... it's tops! This was the first time I've seen the blank blue square in the four+ months I've owned the phone.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm not privy to the show you mention, though I can imagine what it's about. Interestingly, I just heard on the radio yesterday that no one should pay their parking tickets in Philly because meters have apparently ripped off thousands of law-abiding people. Who knows... we'll see...
It's a "reality" show that follows Philly parking authority workers around. What I get out of it is that those people are nothing more than thugs. They are gleeful about writing tickets and booting cars. Then they have the nerve to call their victims "customers." Really paints Philly in a bad light, in my humble opinion.

But regarding Edge coverage in Philly... it's tops! This was the first time I've seen the blank blue square in the four+ months I've owned the phone.
Interesting. I'd say if the speed was normal there was an issue with the indicator. Could have sworn I've heard that happen in the past. But as long as the speed's there, no biggie.

--
Mike

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh no, I had nothing. No net, no net Applets, nothing. For almost an hour. It was the worst possible time for it to go down, too, so I kept checking. I rebooted several times in that period, too, so it was definitely the network down.

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
OOOOOOooooooOOOO WOW its much much faster I just updated(after some harsh trouble) ! Im very pleased! This was a def. Good update.!

gotpancakes

Bronze
Nov 24, 2007
yes the update worked.. It kept my contacts book marks etc. But I did loose my music. It took me literally a full hour of constant man power keeping my other laptop alive while I syncd my music back. But now I have another problem..
**I bought nearly 30 bucks in iTunes music off the phone**. But since my laptop is trash i wasn't able to put it In the iTunes. So when I restored /updated I lost my music off the phone that I bought, its not in a purchased playlist or anything and I have no clue how to get it back,