Better than any other phone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

redgaz26

May 21, 2007
outside glasgow
While I cannot wait for the iPhone to come out, I've been looking around at some of the new mobiles just released. Some of them look fantastic and have basically everything the iPhone has got in terms of features ie. mp3 player, proper internet, video playback.
Is the iPhone really going to be better than these new phones made by companies that's been doing this for years.
Don't get me wrong I aint buying any of them, I cannot wait to get my iPhone(for christmas i hope) but I hope it's worth the wait.

wubagel

May 22, 2007
I'm guessing the most unique aspect of the iPhone is the touchscreen. I'd be surprised to see any other phones with a similar system coming out anytime soon.

What other phones were you looking at by the way?

BoxKrait

Bronze
May 16, 2007
The thing that separates the iPhone from the rest of the mobile phone network is its UI.

There are a lot of phones out there that already do everything the iPhone does, and more, except for the UI.

You honestly cannot beat it at this point.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
While I cannot wait for the iPhone to come out, I've been looking around at some of the new mobiles just released. Some of them look fantastic and have basically everything the iPhone has got in terms of features ie. mp3 player, proper internet, video playback.
Is the iPhone really going to be better than these new phones made by companies that's been doing this for years.
Don't get me wrong I aint buying any of them, I cannot wait to get my iPhone(for christmas i hope) but I hope it's worth the wait.
You've brought up a very good question. There is no way any of us will know how the iPhone performs until it is being sold in it's final configuration.

I am a big advocate of Apple and their products. However that said, I'm taking a wait and see approach. As you so accurately mentioned, the other companies have been doing this for years, have proven products and track records to back it up.

Apple on the other hand is completely new to a very competitive industry. An industry populated by massive companies like Samsung which have the experience, resources, and a huge number of experienced engineers that can respond with new models in a very short time frame.

Since Apple has "married" itself to AT&T for five long years, that gives the competition a real advantage.

I certainly would love to see Apple succeed and produce a high quality, reliable device. But there is much more involved than meets the eye. This is a very complex and challenging endeavor.

Only time will tell.

Cheers...:)

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
In years to come technology will greatly increase as it has thus far. At the moment I believe the Apple iPhone to be the best phone out there.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
While the others may offer a similar list of features to the iPhone, what they don't have is an iPod merged with their phone and mobile internet. They don't have the UI or powerful simplicity. They don't have visual voicemail. They don't have Safari and Mail. And they don't have all of these converged together the way iPhone has done it. Those are just some of the things that set the iPhone apart and ahead of the others.

redgaz26

May 21, 2007
outside glasgow
How?

In years to come technology will greatly increase as it has thus far. At the moment I believe the Apple iPhone to be the best phone out there.

The way I see everyone(including myself) are going on a 1 hour demo by Steve Jobs who has put us all in an itrance lol!

And I'll be in mine for a while yet!

"They don't have Safari"

Most people who do not have a mac will have never heard of safari!
They will think it's a new browser made up for the iPhone!

redgaz26

May 21, 2007
outside glasgow
i know

Sorry my friend that phone looks pretty ugly and worthless compared to the iPhone that is.
that's not the best example I couldn't find the other links. i'm not saying there better i'm pointing out there's a hell of a lot of phones about and Apple will have to work hard to shift there goal of 1 million units(is that right?) in 18 months.
but hey don't take this the wrong way, I'll be first in the line:cool:

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
What I find _Incredibly Amusing_ is how gullible, or irrational, normal people become when discussing the Apple iPhone.

Now before you get your flame thrower out, please hear me out. (and again, I am a loyal Apple customer of 10 years, and tens of thousands of dollars invested in their products). I am just as excited and optimistic as any Apple enthusiast, such as myself can be.

However.......

Just how can someone "rate the iPhone experience" when they haven't even held one, or used one?

Let's set aside the iPhone for a moment, and change the headline to read:

"90 Percent of Automobile Owners Rate Ferrari SUV Experience Superior. The Ferrari SUV clearly represents a breakthrough in terms of user experience".

Does this not sound rather ridiculous?

Since when do we "rate products that we have not seen in person, or as of this date are not available to try?"

This is rather silly don't you think?

However I will give it up for Steve Jobs, as he is a much better Ring Master than a Barnum & Bailey elephant trainer.

I have included an excerpt from our home page below:
90 Percent of Handset Owners Rate Apple iPhone Experience Superior

"While the iPhone "Wow" factor is impressive, our user panel indicated that challenges in pricing and positioning may act as a barrier to mass-market success," said Kevin Nolan, Director of User Experience Research at Strategy Analytics. "Nonetheless, the iPhone clearly represents a breakthrough in terms of user experience."

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonenut

Bronze
May 17, 2007
i have a couple thoughts on this issue....

1. there is a reason the entire INDUSTRY is scrambling and preparing for the release of this phone. the experts (not just eager fans like us) know that this thing is going to make waves...for better or for worse. no other product from "giants" like Samsung and LG and motorolla have been able to do that. motorolla revealed their media monster and all you heard were crickets.

2. i was watching this review of the Nokia N95 on youtube the other (it's probably the closest thing to an iPhone killer) and i couldn't help but sit back and chuckle at the number of times this guy pressed buttons and slid the phone to and fro.
=

you can add all the features in the world but if it's not easy to use then what's the point? if you watch the video, watch the guy click around the map...on the iPhone all it takes is a double tap or a pinch and you're there. i honestly think people are going to look back on the iPhone as the device that changed it all. everything on the phone is at your disposal at the touch of a finger. you don't need to click 80 times to find the song you want, or go through countless menus to find your bookmarks. it's SIMPLE. therein lies the value.

redgaz26

May 21, 2007
outside glasgow
your right

I thought the goal was 10 million?
you are right!

How many iPhones does Apple expect to sell each year?
The ”each year” number is not public, but is expected to grow. Steve Jobs said that Apple’s iPhone target is about 1-percent market share by the end of the first calendar year of sales; the end of 2008.
That number is believed to be about 10-million iPhones over an 18 month period from launch to the end of 2008. We expect additional models, lower prices, and a rapid evolution that exceeds the original iPod’s development.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I really don't think you can compare phones by their feature list alone. IMO that is equivalent to comparing cameras just by the number of megapixels they have. As we all know, there are 2MP cameras that take better pictures than some 3MP cameras.

It is true that most of the features that the iPhone has are available in other phones. It is also true that many phones implement these features so poorly they are basically useless. If we believe what we saw in the Keynote and what has been written by the few people lucky enough to get hands-on time with an iPhone, Apple has not only made these features usable but has made them very intuitive and visually pleasing.

There are features that the iPhone has the others do not as well. Visual voicemail and Multi-Touch are probably the most talked about. I think an equally important feature is OS X. With OS X at the core of the iPhone, Apple has the potential to expand the iPhone's capabilities to levels that current phones can't hope to match. The last unique feature I would like to mention is the iPhone's link to iTunes. This will not only make managing what is on the iPhone easy for millions already familiar with it, it creates an upgrade method for firmware and programs that is far superior to any cell phone (at least the ones I have owned). IMO, this feature doesn't get as much attention as it should. What good does releasing a new version of firmware or updated software for a phone if it never reaches the end user?

I'll end my rant by saying that if the iPhone performs as well as we have been lead to believe, it is worth every penny.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The only Apple products I've ever purchased are two iPod Nanos and one iPod Shuffle. I've also purchased two Motorola products that use iTunes software. I try to consider myself pretty open minded, but if the iPhone is as good as it looked in the Keynote address, then I'm thinking it's the nicest cell phone ever made.

archer6

Bronze
May 15, 2007
The only Apple products I've ever purchased are two iPod Nanos and one iPod Shuffle. I've also purchased two Motorola products that use iTunes software. I try to consider myself pretty open minded, but if the iPhone is as good as it looked in the Keynote address, then I'm thinking it's the nicest cell phone ever made.
I agree with you. I know several of the engineers very close to this project, whom I spoke to over the weekend. And apparently most of the really big problems they were dealing with have been sorted out over the last week. So now suddenly it appears that the version 1.0 is going to be much better than insiders originally expected. And it's not that they did not think it could be done, it was just a matter of them feeling squeezed for time. So the good news is the picture has truly changed for the better.

So much so that I now feel comfortable with purchasing ver 1.0 and will be doing so upon release. My corp. rep that supplies my company which hundreds of phones said that I can count on getting it on day one. In addition, I'm hearing a bit about proposed data & text bundles which will promo as an incentive to buyers. So, with the thought of 1400 minutes with unlimited data & text for just under $60 per mo. I cannot pass that up.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I agree with you. I know several of the engineers very close to this project, whom I spoke to over the weekend. And apparently most of the really big problems they were dealing with have been sorted out over the last week. So now suddenly it appears that the version 1.0 is going to be much better than insiders originally expected. And it's not that they did not think it could be done, it was just a matter of them feeling squeezed for time. So the good news is the picture has truly changed for the better.

So much so that I now feel comfortable with purchasing ver 1.0 and will be doing so upon release. My corp. rep that supplies my company which hundreds of phones said that I can count on getting it on day one. In addition, I'm hearing a bit about proposed data & text bundles which will promo as an incentive to buyers. So, with the thought of 1400 minutes with unlimited data & text for just under $60 per mo. I cannot pass that up.
Toldja it was going to be good. ;) Some folks have mentioned $60/mo as too high but for unlimited data and text that seems reasonable to me. I expect to use it constantly.