Beware Of App Unit Converter

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I downloaded the application, Unit Converter off of Installer today. I then turned the sound on in preferences. My iPhone then went into an endless loop. I tried hard resetting the phone, no luck. I then restored the phone through iTunes. I was able to accomplish the restore, but my mail Application is not working, AT ALL! Every time I try to access my email, the program crashes. I restored my phone a second time, through iTunes. Still the mail Application continues to crash. I am SOOOOOOOOOOO pissed off. I will NEVER jailbreak again, if I get this fixed.

Some of the programs on installer, just don't work, plus screw up your phone. Every time you download a program, you take a chance, of permanently damaging your phone. I am to honest to take it to Apple, knowing I caused the problem. I will just be a man, and buy a new one. I cannot live without mobile email. Jailbreaking is good when it works, but Oh so bad when it doesn't!

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I understand your frustrations for sure. I always try to suggest to pple to reserch apps they think they want before they install them. But that's neither her nor there.
I'm personally not a email buff when it comes to iPhones but I know allot of people here are. I hope you get it fixed and good luck.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Unit Converter App/ Kills Mail Application!

UPDATE: I have now restored five times. The mail application continues to crash. I guess the phone is toast, with no email. I be will at the Apple Store, bright and early in the morning to purchase a new iPhone. My new iPhone will REMAIN A VIRGIN, untouched by unstable, unsanctioned, third party applications. There are a lot of great Applications out there and people who made them. You also have a lot of scumbags, that put their apps on installer, for recognition. They don't fully test their apps, they just load them up, and brag, hey I have an app on the iPhone. yes, jerk off, but it's screwing up people's phone...M

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
I updated Convertor this morning. It is working flawlessly with no side affects. It is in fact one of my favorite aps as I use it for metric/english conversion in the lab and currency tracking as well.

Sorry it screwed up your iPhone. Did you download anything else at the same time? Or power cycle such that a previously installed application became active?

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
i updated the app also, and so far it has no problem

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I updated Convertor this morning. It is working flawlessly with no side affects. It is in fact one of my favorite aps as I use it for metric/english conversion in the lab and currency tracking as well.

Sorry it screwed up your iPhone. Did you download anything else at the same time? Or power cycle such that a previously installed application became active?
Did you turn the sound on, on Unit Converter, thats when the problems started? Mark

P.S. Life is all about choices and chances. As a long standing member of this community, I felt compelled to warn others of my download experience with, Unit Converter. People that want to listen to "it works". Go ahead and roll the dice. I'm telling you, it permanently killed the Apple email application on my phone. Decisions-Determine-Destiny!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It can be very frustrating when you get buggy side effects from modding your phones. For years I saw people pull their hair out after messing up their motorola phones on Momo. Modding is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Update. I just synced and the iPhone quit because it could not sync the mail accounts. I deleted Convertor, power cycled, restarted iTunes and same error.

The iPhone mail app works fine.

Hmmm.....

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
Update. I just synced and the iPhone quit because it could not sync the mail accounts. I deleted Convertor, power cycled, restarted iTunes and same error. Hmmm.....
I told you! My email won't even come up at all. I tap the envelope and bam, it immediately crashes. Mark

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Surely one of the experts on the iPhone Modifications forum can help you with this problem. It seems someone else would have had the same issue in the past.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
try the following, iPhonian.

Force iPhone into DFU mode while connected to computer (Home + Sleep, 2 seconds after screen goes blank, release sleep), restore to 1.1.4, and set it up as a new phone.

I am almost positive it will work.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
try the following, iPhonian.

Force iPhone into DFU mode while connected to computer (Home + Sleep, 2 seconds after screen goes blank, release sleep), restore to 1.1.4, and set it up as a new phone.

I am almost positive it will work.
Yes Sir, it did work. Thank you very much...:laugh2:Mark

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
I have converter and it works with no problems.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Update. I just synced and the iPhone quit because it could not sync the mail accounts. I deleted Convertor, power cycled, restarted iTunes and same error.

The iPhone mail app works fine.

Hmmm.....
i have the latest converter, and just synced flawlessly.

in my experience it has been one of the most stable, helpful apps out there.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
UPDATE: I have now restored five times. The mail application continues to crash. I guess the phone is toast, with no email. I be will at the Apple Store, bright and early in the morning to purchase a new iPhone. My new iPhone will REMAIN A VIRGIN, untouched by unstable, unsanctioned, third party applications. There are a lot of great Applications out there and people who made them. You also have a lot of scumbags, that put their apps on installer, for recognition. They don't fully test their apps, they just load them up, and brag, hey I have an app on the iPhone. yes, jerk off, but it's screwing up people's phone...M
Did you, after your restore, set it up as a new phone? I had to do that after a restore from a backup, cause it left some bits and pieces from apps on the phone, and had screwed mine up as well. Setting it up as a new phone fixed it.

edit: just noticed similar post....so nevermind!

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Just so everybody understands a little better how this all works.....

DFU mode was not necessary, but what is necessary is setting up as a new phone. Yes, it may be annoying to have to re-enter EVERYTHING back in, but the problem is that Apple backs up the entire phone including this in the mail.app. Problem is once this corrupts (yes, by having an app go bonkers) everytime you are "restoring" the phone and then restoring the backup you put the same problem back on the phone.

I saw this post and was going to post the answer to your problems, but themanofdark beat me to it. Don't be scared of jailbreaking, remember what it really does is give you admin access to your phone. you just need to be more careful. At worst you can ALWAYS enter DFU mode then restore and put as new. It would be like a virus on a home PC.....at worst you just reload the OS.....same thing here, but easier :laugh2:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The restore left your Mail.app with the previous owner still in tact, root. A simple chmod to 777 would have fixed it without starting all over again.

Starting from scratch is still your best bet however.