Beware of Phishing - even on iPhone

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Just got this on my iPhone. I was not doing anything elicit - just clicked a google hit while searching for info on an online game. I am not Jailbroken either.

IT IS BOGUS. I see this EVERY DAY where i work, and have to charge people $200 to remove the infection from their computers. Granted, the program will not install on a Mac or iPhone (until today i had not even seen the message on an Apple product.), but be careful either way.

So, regardless what platform you are surfing on, if you see something like this: alt-F4, cmd+Q, or force quit. Even better, to be proactive, install an adblocker on your PC's browser - you have this option with Firefox and Safari, but not Internet Explorer. Obviously, the iPhone's popup blocker needs to be updated a bit.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I maybe wrong but this isn't phishing. Phishing is where a website imitates a trustworthy website such as a bank, in order to fool you into typing your username/password. This is adware/malware. They just try to get you to buy their product.
So yes, anything with an internet browser is susceptible to phishing, but that site you are on is nothing to worry about (while on the iPhone). You can even see its imitating windows in that screen shot.

PS my dad fell for this site and man was it a pain to remove...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
It's NOT a "product". It's a complete scam.

And i would NOT call it "nothing to worry about". The message here is not "OMG my iPhone is infected" - just "be careful".

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Just for those with PC's, the best tool I have found to get rid of that junk is Malware Bytes, Anti-malware tool. Great free scanner and removal tool.

I also recommend Avast for virus scanning.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not a product or a phishing website. It's malware that is posing as an antivirus program (Antivirus 2008/2009) claiming that you need to install the program to remove a virus. Clicking it will actually just install the malware. It can be difficult to close, so force quit or just reboot if you encounter it while on a Windows system.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Just for those with PC's, the best tool I have found to get rid of that junk is Malware Bytes, Anti-malware tool. Great free scanner and removal tool.

I also recommend Avast for virus scanning.
+1 on Malware Bytes. :eek: I repair computers for a living, and I use MBAM on a daily basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Can anyone confirm that MBAM paid version is compatible with Kaspersky?
Malware Bytes runs independently, so there shouldn't be a problem, but you can also make expections for Kaspesky too.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
I use SuperAntiSpyware personally and it has always removed whatever is infected on my PC I don't think I have seen it not remove somthing.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Can anyone confirm that MBAM paid version is compatible with Kaspersky?
In response to your post before you edited, yes, I have a work-in-progress design site up. Need to update portfolio and reviews sections.

I use SuperAntiSpyware personally and it has always removed whatever is infected on my PC I don't think I have seen it not remove somthing.
SAS was good. I used to use that all the time for work, but recently, I believe MBAM has surpassed it, and you will find that a lot more professionals choose it over SAS now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sean, do you agree with Hawk then that the paid version of MBAM is compatible with Kapersky? I was able to find that the free version is and installed it yesterday. I'd like to upgrade to the paid version so it runs in the background. Or do you think the free version is suffient while running Kapsersky?

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Kaspersky is a very good anti-virus. The paid version of MBAM would be comparable. However, in my experience, AVG Free is virtually as effective. I recommend clients use AVG Free as an Anti-Virus. I use the free MBAM as a removal tool. The free version is not meant to replace an AV, but it will remove infections that an AV misses.

Bottom line, I recommend clients use AVG Free, and if they have problems, run MBAM. No issues so far.

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Kaspersky is a very good anti-virus. The paid version of MBAM would be comparable. However, in my experience, AVG Free is virtually as effective. I recommend clients use AVG Free as an Anti-Virus. I use the free MBAM as a removal tool. The free version is not meant to replace an AV, but it will remove infections that an AV misses.

Bottom line, I recommend clients use AVG Free, and if they have problems, run MBAM. No issues so far.
That is exactly my line of defense for anti-virus/spyware/malware protection.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I use ESET Smart Security. I was using norton before and hated it. ESET is like 10000x better, although I haven't tried Kaspersky.
Although now I mostly use the mac :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Since we're on Windows AV anyway, any thoughts on Avast? I used to use AVG, but switched to Avast because it seemed like a smaller footprint. I haven't really looked into it for a while, though.

Never even heard of Kaspersky...

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Since we're on Windows AV anyway, any thoughts on Avast? I used to use AVG, but switched to Avast because it seemed like a smaller footprint. I haven't really looked into it for a while, though.

Never even heard of Kaspersky...
For the most part, AVG and Avast are pretty similar. You'll find equally good reviews on both, a few minor feature differences, cosmetics, etc. Regarding resource usage, I've put AVG on clean XP machines with 256mb of ram, no problem.

However, I've had 2 reports of serious infections from people using Avast. Serious meaning system file corruption to the point of problems booting, and/or BSOD. No such reports with AVG usage. ymmv, but that's my experience with it, so it's just what I go with for continuity's sake. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I use ESET Smart Security. I was using norton before and hated it. ESET is like 10000x better, although I haven't tried Kaspersky.
Although now I mostly use the mac :)
I used ESET for almost 2 years and swore by it. It was the top rated AV, but not the most popular because it lacked ease of use (not anymore). I stopped using it when I got vundo and browser hijack and I couldn't clean the browser hijack despite 10 hours of trying and was forced to restore. After the restore, I switched to Kaspersky.