Beware your warranty may be void!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 16, 2007
I was working out with my iPhone when the headphones cut out. I noticed that there was a slight amount of sweat on the end of the jack I blew into the headphone jack on the phone and the button on the top stopped working. I took the iPhone to the local Apple store and they looked into the jack and said I submerged the phone into water, there for the warranty was now void. I assured the so called geniuses that I did not submerge the phone and a slight amount of sweat got into the jack. They insisted that one or two drops of water will not set the sensor off per the Apple engineered. At this point I felt as if they were calling me a lier. I called Apples customer relations and they told me a different story. they said if any amount of moisture gets into the headphone jack it can trigger the sensor, there for my warranty was now Void! I pleaded my case to the manager of the Apple store and customer relations. to no avail. I had to pay $250 for a new phone. It is my mission to tell as many people about this experience as possibly. If I find enough people that this has happened to I want to start a class action lawsuit against Apple. Every iPhone owner should beware, Apple will void your warranty if the sensor is triggered. It is the stupidest engineering ever to put that sensor exposed to the outside environment. Or maybe not! This way Apple can get out of warrantying your phone if the sensor is ever trigged. You be the judge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 16, 2007
Holy crap

Sell your phone and put that money toward a college English class.
I thought this was a forum for discussions on the iPhone, not a place for personal attacks by immature geeks with nothing better to than criticize spelling and grammar errors to boost their own insecure ego.

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
This is the first time I've read this but it makes me think twice about ever using the phone in the rain.

Boosted_Brian

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
your situation is nothing new. All cell phones come with the white stickers that turn red when exposed to water or an extreme a amount of mouister. Anytime a tech opens up a phone for warranty work, if those dots/stickerz have changed colors the warranty is void. This is not a new pratice by any means.

Your situation I understand is a different one however this is not something that I my Apple is doing. All cell phone companies do.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
your situation is nothing new. All cell phones come with the white stickers that turn red when exposed to water or an extreme a amount of mouister. Anytime a tech opens up a phone for warranty work, if those dots/stickerz have changed colors the warranty is void. This is not a new pratice by any means.

Your situation I understand is a different one however this is not something that I my Apple is doing. All cell phone companies do.
You spelled moisture wrong. :cool: And maybe stickers/z ... I don't know- maybe you like the Z

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
are there not other water indicators within the phone? That way someone at Apple could open the phone and actually verify that it was submersed in water rather than like sweat getting in there or steam from a shower or something like that....

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
well just post it once then you done need to post it twice
Chris, when's the last time you got some- cause damn! You jump on every post(er) like an attack dog! Whats your problem?

And between you and OH-J, I don't know who uses "moron & idiot" the most. You talk to other members around here almost as if you think you're better than they are. Until you're sitting next to Steve- take the stick out man!

The OP may have posted the same thing twice, that doesn't make him a criminal; where most of your post don't even offer anything substantial.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
Chris, when's the last time you got some- cause damn! You jump on every post like an attack dog! Whats your problem?

And between you and OH-J, I don't know who uses "moron & idiot" the most. You talk to other members around here almost as if you think you're better than they are. Until you're sitting next to Steve- take the stick out man!

ive tried to talk to everyone real nice and not be an ass but there was one person who has made me really mad so i dunno but im not going to talk any more crap as you can see from my last post here i was trying to find a way to help the dude out...

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
ive tried to talk to everyone real nice and not be an ass but there was one person who has made me really mad so i dunno but im not going to talk any more crap as you can see from my last post here i was trying to find a way to help the dude out...
Chris, if posters are making you mad, walk away for a while. I don't know how much time you spend on this site, but it aint that deep....for real.

I'm glad you admit that you have been an ass- we all can be sometimes; and I'm not just referring to here on the forum, but off.

I think more times than not, people forget that the screen name you see is actually attached to a real person- with feelings; and although you don't know that person on a personal level, it doesn't give you or any of us the right to insult or verbally abuse.

Like I said...nothing around here is that deep.

On another note- make the 1st post the one in which you try to help; not your last.

Dec 16, 2007
your situation is nothing new. All cell phones come with the white stickers that turn red when exposed to water or an extreme a amount of moister. Anytime a tech opens up a phone for warranty work, if those dots/stickerz have changed colors the warranty is void. This is not a new pratice by any means.

I guess the question is how much moisture is extreme? That is the problem. one person at Apple says it has to be submerged to trigger the sensor, another person says any moisture will trigger the sensor. That means condensation or sweat can trigger it. my problem is not that is has a sensor it is that the sensor is exposed the the outside of the iPhone! It should be on the inside, to indicate true submersion, remember this is also a phone and a ipod! It will eventually be exposed to moisture by rain,sweat,or condensation. If the iPhone can not operate in the environment that is was designed for than it is a defective product. Apple should take responsibility for this design defect!

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I guess the question is how much moisture is extreme? That is the problem. one person at Apple says it has to be submerged to trigger the sensor, another person says any moisture will trigger the sensor. That means condensation or sweat can trigger it. my problem is not that is has a sensor it is that the sensor is exposed the the outside of the iPhone! It should be on the inside, to indicate true submersion, remember this is also a phone and a ipod! It will eventually be exposed to moisture by rain,sweat,or condensation. If the iPhone can not operate in the environment that is was designed for than it is a defective product. Apple should take responsibility for this design defect!
You're absolutely correct- there are many reason why moisture would trigger the sensor. On all the phones I've used, the trigger is a small white looking piece of paper that when wet turns pinkish.

What I don't understand is the Apple genius telling you that your phone was "submerged" in water. Submersion would have you dripping water all the way to the genius bar. Is there no way they can tell that the phone was not wet internally?

On another note- go into a Sprint store. ALL the techs tell customers that their phones have "moisture due to water damage." I rarely see anyone leave with a new/replacement phone.

On the other hand, customers that I have seen leave with something new are customers that cant be told nonsense like this....I'm one of them. :p

Dec 16, 2007
You're absolutely correct- there are many reason why moisture would trigger the sensor. On all the phones I've used, the trigger is a small white looking piece of paper that when wet turns pinkish.

What I don't understand is the Apple genius telling you that your phone was "submerged" in water. Submersion would have you dripping water all the way to the genius bar. Is there no way they can tell that the phone was not wet internally?

On another note- go into a Sprint store. ALL the techs tell customers that their phones have "moisture due to water damage." I rarely see anyone leave with a new/replacement phone.

On the other hand, customers that I have seen leave with something new are customers that cant be told nonsense like this....I'm one of them. :p
The Apple genius manager insisted that per Apple engineers the phone needed to be submerged in order for the sensor to indicated pink and a drop or two of moisture will not trigger the sensor. When I suggested that we put a drop of water into the iPhone on display, he said absolutely not! that tells me that they are told by Apple to tell customers that it has to be submerged for the sensor to change when they know that any moisture can trigger it!:(

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
i think the people at Apple are full of bs when they said that... ive seen some of the dots change color from being in the bathroom while the shower was running.. i don't think the dots they are using in the iPhone are really any different but you never know i still say they are full of bs and are stupid for playing these games and should just get you another...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Let me make it clear that I am not trying to attack anybody here.

I have had wonderful past experiences with Apple customer support. They have always offered kind, helpful assistance that satisfies my needs. I highly doubt that you'll be able to start a class action lawsuit against a multi-million dollar company because a drop of sweat landed in you earbud jack.

- John