bible on iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 15, 2007
I see most of the guys @ my church using pdas for there bibles instead of a paper back bibles so having an iPhone with the bible on it would be so cool....

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I see most of the guys @ my church using pdas for there bibles instead of a paper back bibles so having an iPhone with the bible on it would be so cool....

actually you can go to mockdock.com and load up the iBible...although its an indirect dwnld yet it available...or you can go crosswalk.com and use it there...again you will be using the internet yet you'll get the results you're lkn for...

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
It is handy, but like Princess said, you have to jailbreak your phone to add it. I like it better than using BibleGateway via Safari because of the speed.

Although having multiple translations via www.biblegateway.com is awesome if speed is not an issue. :)

tonyj81

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
VA Beach
I currently have the KJV of the bible on my iPhone. It is very simple to bnavigate. Yes i did mod my phoen to allow it and that was just as easy.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I leave my phones in my car when I go to services. My church uses wireless lav mics and there is all sorts of GSM noise throughout service. I know how much GSM noise this phone causes in my home so I will keep it away from service! I'm sure there is a bible available for the iPhone though.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
man, it sure is a relief to see other Christians here on this site. Sometimes I get to feeling like that's a bad thing if you listen to what the media has to say today... What's ironic is that they are the ones that should be concerned..

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
My church provides free wifi, so it's not uncommon to see folks browsing, sermon-related and secular sites, during service and after. Here are 3 more that are formatted for use on the iPhone and load very fast even over EDGE:

http://itruth.mobi
http://iPhone.clearsight.org/index2.php#_Bible
www.boopsie.mobi (under "All Channels")

The last one is my favorite...it loads results as fast as you can type. You don't need to mod your phone to use them, so I guess you could say they are pastor-approved! :p

macrat

Jul 15, 2007
In your iPhone Safari go to http://www.biblegateway.com/

Edge is fast enough for you to navigate anything you need in there. And all the bible versions are in there and not limited to KJV only. My favs are the NLT, NIV, and NKJV versions.

No need to hack your phone.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
man, it sure is a relief to see other Christians here on this site. Sometimes I get to feeling like that's a bad thing if you listen to what the media has to say today... What's ironic is that they are the ones that should be concerned..
Isn't it sad that anytime there is any discussion of our religion in any public place (internet or not) we are a bit shocked. What's going on, just shouldn't be that way. For having freedom of religion I certainly feel persecuted anytime I publicly announce my faith...quite sad, anyone have the same feeling?

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I completely feel that way. I was religiously raised until I was confirmed in 1985 through my Methodist church. Since then I have dropped religion from my life and I am very often criticized for it..... Then again I live in salt lake city, so there is a good reason for it here, but I still got it when I lived in Pa before moving for the skiing!

radmonkeyx

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Irving TX
i agree, i am not going around telling people what i believe but i am not ashamed to talk about it either.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I have the KJV loaded in the Books app, as others have noted. Would be nice to have other versions, but OTOH this one is kinda a "classic."

As far as using it during service, I humbly admit I stopped. No offense to iPastor here, but most pastors I've listened to give approx. 2 nano seconds to lookup the verse before talking about it. By the time I find it, they're onto something else. So now I just listen, and write down the b/c/v if need be.

That said I just tried to see how fast I could navigate using KJV in Books, and it was rather fast.

--
Mike

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Christian here, and proud of it.
I'm using a couple of the webapps to access The Bible on my iphone--have found them fairly decent.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
I have the KJV loaded in the Books app, as others have noted. Would be nice to have other versions, but OTOH this one is kinda a "classic."

As far as using it during service, I humbly admit I stopped. No offense to iPastor here, but most pastors I've listened to give approx. 2 nano seconds to lookup the verse before talking about it. By the time I find it, they're onto something else. So now I just listen, and write down the b/c/v if need be.

That said I just tried to see how fast I could navigate using KJV in Books, and it was rather fast.

--
Mike
SWORD DRILL! :)

Speed of lookup is usually an issue which is why BibleGateway is not necessarily the best solution during service. HOWEVER, once you have the text in the Books app, it's cool to lookup the passage in BibleGateway for other translations to get clarity or perspective.

You know what's funny, when I was memorizing verses as a teenager, my church only used KJV, so even today when I quote certain verses, even though I routinely use NKJV I speak it in KJV. lol

My guess is once SDK comes in February, we'll see major leaps forward in the Christian application genre.

ltemple

Jul 3, 2007
iPhone sermons?

--
Mike

"2 nano seconds"? Sorry about that. I pastor a church of about 200. I try to give them at least 4 nano seconds.:laugh2: Actually, I always include every passage on a large screen, so everyone can see it without having to scramble to look it up. Still, I do try to give sufficiant time, and will be more mindful in the future.
I do have the KJV on my iPhone, use it frequently (though not during sermons --don't think they're quite ready for that --yet), and would like to see some full blown Bible programs for the iPhone.

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
"2 nano seconds"? Sorry about that. I pastor a church of about 200. I try to give them at least 4 nano seconds.:laugh2: Actually, I always include every passage on a large screen, so everyone can see it without having to scramble to look it up. Still, I do try to give sufficiant time, and will be more mindful in the future.
I do have the KJV on my iPhone, use it frequently (though not during sermons --don't think they're quite ready for that --yet), and would like to see some full blown Bible programs for the iPhone.
Add in Yellow Pages... "Name of your Church", NOW with 100% more time to lookup verses. :) Having the big screens is tremendous. Not only is it a great tool for those that might not have brought a bible but it also gives everyone the same version to reference.

Don't you find it funny how some traditions are almost burned into our churchgoing experience... OF COURSE the pastor is going to hold a big ol' bible while he's preaching... not some little electronic gadget. :)

*Holds up iPhone screen towards congregation* "And as it says right here in 1 Peter... "Love covers a MULTITUDE of sins"!

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks to all for the bible sites, I'll be sure to book mark these once I have my phone, been wondering if this were possible, good thread...

And our pastor gives us 2 nano seconds also, he could atleast call the page number out to those of us who just wanna use pew bibles!

God bless....;)